• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E With the reintroduction of PrCs which are on your 'must see' list?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
But I was also referring to the larger issue of game balance falling to pieces, such as I mentioned in my thread on CR, at higher level.
That is not just hyperbole, but inaccurate hyperbole that confuses "balance fell apart" with "balanced differently than I prefer" to which you refer.

That aside, an onto the topic of this thread: I am looking forward to seeing Prestige Classes given the opportunity to be something worth adding to the game; using the name of a completely terrible set of rules in a past edition as the name for a new, related, but actually useful set of rules. That means I can't actually list any particular prestige class by name, however, since the way what they name was previously attached to worked is not at all appealing to me (I think in the years my recent group played 3.5, a single character actually incorporated a prestige class, and it could have easily been a feat or two instead).

Duganson

First Post
But I was also referring to the larger issue of game balance falling to pieces, such as I mentioned in my thread on CR, at higher level.

Sorry, this issue is a non starter for me. EVERY game I've played to the high levels has had some balancing problems. Its our job as GMs to mitigate these problems as best we can. Your comparison to WoW doesn't stand as my raid leader doesn't have the ability to create and adjust on the fly end game content specifically for me and my friends.

Honestly I'm sure we could go round and round about this for pages but its neither here nor there.

There will be PrCs. I want to know which ones you folks would like to see.

There's a few. Some things that don't feel like classes but also don't work as a background as they're acquired after level 1, could be acquired by multiple classes, and have some unique mechanic. But aren't just a feat.
Tying them to special training or groups also works. Not mandating 5 levels would also be good. Allowing them to be 3+ levels would be fine, as some ideas might only need those 3 or 4 levels while others need 6 or 7.

Most of the ones I'd like to see are tied to settings. A Red Wizard might be interesting, as would a knight (of Solamnia) or a Robed Wizard of High Sorcerer. Harper agent could also work.

Dragon disciple/dragon shaman might be interesting. A special assassin order (Ba'al Verzi?), especially if include included spies and vigilantes. An alchemist might make a fun prestige class, since some magic would help but it could be druidic as easily as wizardry. A master of many forms/warshaper that's a dedicated shapeshifter would also be good.
Heck, an artificer could probably work as a prestige class and/or the warlord, possibly being 10 or 15 levels rather than 5.

Prestige classes might also be a good way to handle things like vampirism or lycanthropy. The requirement is just "be afflicted with vampirism/ lycanthropy" and allows you to gain the appropriate powers.

I really want new ones tied to the adventures... but I love

Shadow dancer, Divine Oracle, Soldier of Light, Animal Lord, Soul Knife, Ghost walker, Alienist, Fatespiner, Anointed knight, Spy master, Mage of the Arcane Order, Inetiated seven veils, Abjurant champion, cloak dancer, Order of the bow, Demon binder, Hellfire warlock, War weaver, CHamilion, battlesmith, Shadow sun ninja, master of 9, Bone knight, Guild wizard of waterdeep, Incantatrixc, orcwarlord, red wizard of they

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Prestige classes can only work well if ...

• Multiclassing works well
• Multiclassing a prestige class is strictly balanced with multiclassing with a core class

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If they don't make it a subclass of the ranger, the horizon walker.

The horizon walker has 2 different flavors depending on if it is ranger only or not.

Remove ads