• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Withdraw action

Menexenus

First Post
Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble understanding the intent of the Withdraw rules. Here's the wording:

[From d20SRD.org] WITHDRAW - Withdrawing from melee combat is a full-round action. When you withdraw, you can move up to double your speed. The square you start out in is not considered threatened by any opponent you can see...

If, during the process of withdrawing, you move out of a threatened square (other than the one you started in), enemies get attacks of opportunity as normal. [end quote]

So, what I'm trying to understand is the last sentence, in particular, what it means for enemies to "get attacks of opportunity as normal". Does it mean that they get attacks of opportunity as normal, even from the first threatened square you left? Or do they just get attacks of opportunity as normal from subsequent threatened squares (not including the first).

Perhaps my interpretation skills are being clouded by 3.0. In any case, please let me know which interpretation is correct.

Thanks in advance.

frankthedm

First Post
Menexenus said:
Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble understanding the intent of the Withdraw rules. Here's the wording:

[From d20SRD.org] WITHDRAW - Withdrawing from melee combat is a full-round action. When you withdraw, you can move up to double your speed. The square you start out in is not considered threatened by any opponent you can see...

If, during the process of withdrawing, you move out of a threatened square (other than the one you started in), enemies get attacks of opportunity as normal. [end quote]

So, what I'm trying to understand is the last sentence, in particular, what it means for enemies to "get attacks of opportunity as normal". Does it mean that they get attacks of opportunity as normal, even from the first threatened square you left? Or do they just get attacks of opportunity as normal from subsequent threatened squares (not including the first).
They just get attacks of opportunity as normal from subsequent threatened squares (not including the first).

No one gets retroactive AoOs in 3.5. The withdraw action was created to ensure this.

Pyrex

First Post
Right. The idea is you can move away from a non-reach opponent without drawing an AOO from him.

If you move past other opponents, you may well draw AOO's from them.

Remove ads