• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Withdrawing from a Web?

Starglim

Explorer
"Every round devoted to moving allows the character to make a new Strength check.." I see no reason that you can't take any full-round action that is "devoted to moving" to travel through the web. However it could be interpreted to say that moving through the web is a unique kind of full-round action.

Another counter-argument might be that moving through a web is a form of movement for which you don't have a listed speed. I don't think that is right, based on the description for monstrous spiders. A monstrous spider moves through its web using its climb speed, not some other special movement speed as in previous editions. It follows that a human moves through a web using normal land movement, just at a non-standard rate.

Last edited:

Starglim

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
You move at half speed, and can't run or charge... but nothing seems to prohibit Wthdraw.

No, you move 5 feet for each 5 points by which your STR check exceeds 10. Presumably, though the spell doesn't say so, this can't exceed your normal double move, halved due to being entangled.

Quidam

First Post
Starglim said:
However it could be interpreted to say that moving through the web is a unique kind of full-round action.

This is the point of view I espoused. A withdraw action is doing nothing but moving, but moving in a web requires something more than just moving- a strength check or escape artist check.

Is this considered to be something more than just moving? Tearing through strands or wriggling around them? Related question- can you tumble while entangled in a web?

Thanee

First Post
I'd not consider moving through a web as a normal move, so no Withdraw, and no Tumble either.

The "special move" replaces normal movement (which normally is at half-speed when entangled).

Bye
Thanee

Starglim

Explorer
Quidam said:
Related question- can you tumble while entangled in a web?

It seems like a bad idea (you might end up stuck upside down in the webbing) but as far as I can see the rules allow it. The web counts as severely obstructed (+5 DC), your DEX is reduced, and you first have to make a Strength or Escape Artist check to see if you can move that round. All text in the Tumble skill regarding speed of movement should be ignored.

Quidam

First Post
tumbling

Starglim said:
It seems like a bad idea (you might end up stuck upside down in the webbing) but as far as I can see the rules allow it. The web counts as severely obstructed (+5 DC), your DEX is reduced, and you first have to make a Strength or Escape Artist check to see if you can move that round. All text in the Tumble skill regarding speed of movement should be ignored.

And yet in the Tumble description of the SRD I find:

SRD said:
Action: Not applicable. Tumbling is part of movement, so a Tumble check is part of a move action.

If one rules that moving through a web is not a move action but rather a full-round action requiring a check that allows you to move if you succeed, this line seems to indicate tumbling shouldn't be allowed.

Also, if you're ruling the web as severely obstructed, you're equating it with:

SRD said:
Severely obstructed (natural cavern floor, dense rubble, dense undergrowth) +5

Seems to me the webbing described in the spell is more challenging to move through than any of those listed above. This seems to reinforce my suspicion that tumbling through a web should not be allowed.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
Quidam said:
This is the point of view I espoused. A withdraw action is doing nothing but moving, but moving in a web requires something more than just moving- a strength check or escape artist check.

Is this considered to be something more than just moving? Tearing through strands or wriggling around them? Related question- can you tumble while entangled in a web?
I agree on that! So, I would rule that anyone in 5 ft radius get's an AoO against the guy who is 'withdrawing'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads