• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wiz18 Lich vs. four 12th level characters

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm not sure if this should go into Rules or General, but I think here in General is appropriate.

I'm looking for anyone's insight and input to this: How would four 12th level characters (28 point buy and well-equipped) fare against a Wiz18 lich (32 point buy) with no magic items?

The four 12th level characters are of a range of classes (Ftr, Rog, Clr, Wiz) and by well-equipped I mean that they have close or a bit under the the gp value of magic equipment appropriate for their level. The equipment isn't exactly "tweaked" to perfectly suit their character, but no item is inherently "useless".

Any insight?

radferth

First Post
My guess is a tough but winable fight, probably with loses for the characters. Of course, terrain and tactics seems to be a big deal when fighting enemy arcane casters. If the party can gang-up on the lich early, they may get through with no losses. If they are unable to get to him, he should pick them apart.

Conaill

First Post
A Wiz18 Lich is at least an ECL 22 character (+4 LA), or a CR 20 encounter (CR +2 for being a Lich). Your players will probably get hosed even if the Lich doesn't have any magic items. If they are able to buff up and surprise the Lich, they might stand a chance.

Corinthi

First Post
Too many variables really. Assuming the Lich has it's spells memorized, then it'll likely be able to escape at the very least.

If the Lich has forewarning, the party will probably be in a /bad/ way. A lich w/o Magic items will definately be carrying some protective magic. Prep rounds will likely make up for the difference in Magic Items. It's caster levels will easily outstrip the parties, so Dispel Magics are a more minor concern.

It's undead status gives it a host of immunities that help prevent a 1 round 'alpha strike' by the PCs.

At 18th level it has access to several hideous spells, including Power Words, circle of death, time stops, and Mord's.

A well designed 18th level lich will devastate a party as much as it can, then flee when the tide starts to turn. Then it rests up and returns for seconds.

Barring outside factors or fantastic tactics/luck from the party, the Lich should be able to come out on top, assuming a DM who's willing to use it's capabilities to the fullest.

ThirdWizard

First Post
If the lich is well played (appropriate for its Int) then they're dead dead dead. If you play it without tactics, they might win. At 18th level, we're looking at high level spells and plenty of slots for the mid level tactical stuff. As a lich, he'll probably have safeguards, ways to know a fight is coming, so time to prepare. Plus he'll have minions to keep the PCs busy a while.

painandgreed

First Post
If buffed and attack with surprise, they coudl win. If the lich is prepared or has helpers, they're probably toast. Even f they do win, then in 1d10 days they have a pissed off 18th level lich back, ready, and prepared to spring "death from above" on the party. If the manage to secretly hunt down the lich's philactery before taking him on, they might have a chance in the long run.

Masked Otaku

First Post
arnwyn said:
I'm not sure if this should go into Rules or General, but I think here in General is appropriate.

I'm looking for anyone's insight and input to this: How would four 12th level characters (28 point buy and well-equipped) fare against a Wiz18 lich (32 point buy) with no magic items?

The four 12th level characters are of a range of classes (Ftr, Rog, Clr, Wiz) and by well-equipped I mean that they have close or a bit under the the gp value of magic equipment appropriate for their level. The equipment isn't exactly "tweaked" to perfectly suit their character, but no item is inherently "useless".

Any insight?

Looks like the Lich will have 4 new servents soon.

Conaill

First Post
The problem with facing one high-level opponent is that it makes for a much more unpredictable encounter. After fighting a bunch of medium-level opponents, the party might wind up at around half hitpoints. However, after fighting one high-level opponent (even if it equals out to the same CR), you might wind up with a party which is half *dead*. Similar amount of hitpoins lost, but very different outcome!

Now, if you face them with a *very* high-level opponent - even if you cripple that opponent to the point where you think the CR is about right - that effect will be even more pronounced. At that level, many of his attacks can result in single-hit-kills. Heck, on a bad roll it's not impossibel he might take out the entire party in one round.

If this Lich really *has* to be an 18th level Wiz (and I would seriously reconsider that), one way to make this work is to cripple him precisely in his most powerful abilities. Let's say he's in the middle of a ritual which uses up all his 9th level spells...

Thanee

First Post
If they stumble into the lich's lair, and do not know about what they will face there, they hopefully have a teleport handy, but they probably do at this level. Even then, they will quite likely lose at least one.

If they know about the lich (and the lich does not know about them) and they can prepare, they should have a decent enough chance.

Bye
Thanee

Kunimatyu

First Post
If the Lich was a Warlock18, you might get a more balanced fight, as he'd still be quite powerful, but definitely lacking in the instadeath variety of magic. Just a thought.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads