• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard AoE Control and Initiative.

I responded to a thread in the rules section about the problem of the wizard being late to act, meaning the quicker party members get mixed with the enemy and the wizard's AoEs damage them also.

As I responded with houserules I suppose it is more appropriate to put it here.

Can anyone see any problems with these houserules?

"I still think using Intelligence modifier to initiative makes sense. Which would make the most difference in how quickly and effectively a character reacts to a combat starting up. A sharp, attentive mind or the ability to flip a coin over your knuckles.

Also, there should be more spell shaping feats and feats that protect/ommit allies from area spell effects.

Also, I think wizards should be able to cast spells smaller if they wish to. If a spell is blast/burst 2, for example, he should be able to cast it as a blast/burst 1. This could solve a little of these problems.

So my 3 houserules would be:

1. Use highest of dex/int for initiative modifier.
2. Allow wizards to cast burst/blast spells smaller than the standard size.
3. (Wizard Ommition) Ommit one square from a spell's effects as a free class feature.

That would probably sort it all out, at least to the point of making them effectively playable in the role they are designed for.

Give the controller more control.B-)"

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I responded to a thread in the rules section about the problem of the wizard being late to act, meaning the quicker party members get mixed with the enemy and the wizard's AoEs damage them also.

As I responded with houserules I suppose it is more appropriate to put it here.

Can anyone see any problems with these houserules?

"I still think using Intelligence modifier to initiative makes sense. Which would make the most difference in how quickly and effectively a character reacts to a combat starting up. A sharp, attentive mind or the ability to flip a coin over your knuckles.

Also, there should be more spell shaping feats and feats that protect/ommit allies from area spell effects.

Also, I think wizards should be able to cast spells smaller if they wish to. If a spell is blast/burst 2, for example, he should be able to cast it as a blast/burst 1. This could solve a little of these problems.

So my 3 houserules would be:

3. (Wizard Ommition) Ommit one square from a spell's effects as a free class feature.

That would probably sort it all out, at least to the point of making them effectively playable in the role they are designed for.

Give the controller more control.B-)"

Very intriguing though I would argue absent minded professor is part of the archetype of the high intellect character and wisdom is the attribute to use... I want reasons for a mage to have good wisdom...

A suggestion for allowing an alternate class feature to replace implement mastery is on the list here somewhere which gives meta magics for changing the spells effects one of the changes included the size another omitting a square..

Mengu

First Post

1. As a minority eladrin wand wizard fan, I'd be slightly upset with this ruling. I think one of the greatest things about that build is that it gets to go first fairly often, and can turn a near miss into a hit. If all wizards started using Int for initiative, there would be even less reason to play a wand wizard.

2. This probably won't step on too many toes, so I'd say it would be an ok house rule.

3. I would shy away from this. For instance the Invoker class has an at-will power that can attack two targets, and the wizard has some similar encounter powers. These powers could begin to lose value if you can shape your AoE's starting at level 1. Part of the fun and challenge is to find the perfect spot for the AoE. When party members work well together, this is even more rewarding. I wouldn't want to take that aspect away.

I would think allowing AoEs to be made smaller would have pretty much the same effect as allowing omission of a square from the area. Wizards would have small reason to take non-AoE spells unless they were fairly certain they were going to be facing a single tough opponent and wanted the extra damage.

The_Spider

First Post
I already thought init mod was dex or int. dexterity is not just rolling a coin over your knuckles. Its also reaction time because it reflexes and agility. intelligence is reasoning and knowledge, therefore dexterity as the modifier makes more sense.

Nytmare

David Jose
I think that all the instances where I could be convinced that a brainy character should get bonuses to initiative are already covered between perception checks, alertness, and improved initiative.

Just because you can think fast, doesn't mean that your body is going to respond faster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads