• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Bonus spells in Prestigue Classes?

jcfiala

Explorer
So, I've got a Wizard-Monk. He's taken the Arcane Fist PrC, and has hit second level, where he gets +1 level advancement to his spells.

My question is - does he get the Wizard's two free spells each level, or is that an advantage only to the Wizard class? Because it gets expensive to stop and scribe from scrolls so often. (I'm guessing he doesn't get the spells, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.)

Thanks!

Scharlata

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Yeah, he gets the two free spells.

Just like a Sor would get his.

Should be like Jdvn1 said. My Mystic Theurge was in a similar situation recently. The automatic spells should "drop" into your spellbook as usual for advancing in, i.e., the wizard class.

Enjoy

moritheil

First Post
jcfiala said:
Huh. Well, that'll save me some money. :)

It's a reasonable way to run it, but I'm not 100% sure the rules support it, for the mystic theurge, at least.

Spells per Day: When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Note that it does not say "spells known" are gained, only "spells per day." And it does say that any benefit not mentioned there is not gained.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I noticed that too, but Custserv swears up and down that "spells known is part of spellcasting and so you get your spells known too". Not that I think that Custserv's answers are worth the cost of the electricity required to display them on my screen, but there's the "official" reply to this problem. "Official" meaning "having at least as much credibility as if you asked the magic 8-ball."

But yeah, where else would a sorcerer get his spells known from? Otherwise he'd have all these higher level slots and no spells to cast with them.

Remove ads