• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizard Cleric MC: Sooner or Later?

twsstastic

Villager
Hey guys, just a quick question. Our 4e campaign is spontaneously converting to 5e and I'm a Deva Wizard. We're starting at level 2 and i've been given a homebrew deva race (GM won't let me change races) with +2 Wis +1 Int. I understand from googling that a level of Cleric can be great for wizard...but I can't find suggestions of WHEN to take it? Does it matter if I start with 1 level in each? Should I hold out? Not take it at all? Just looking for some timing and/or is it worth it context. Thanks!

mellored

Legend
Either at level 1 (immediately), 6 (after you get fireball), or 19 (after wish and spell mastery).

And weather it's worth while depends on your party. The main benefit is armor and shields, but if have a strong front line and rarely get attacked, you slow down your spells for nothing.
Bless is also a good benifit, but only in parties where you have enough attackers to make it worth while (specifically an archer with the sharpshooter feat).

So... what's the rest of your party?

twsstastic

Villager
Based on the 4e party, I'm expecting a Drow Rogue (was a two fisted shooter in 4e, not sure if there will be a 5e build change), a Drow Monk, Dragonborn Bard, Dwarf Cleric (strength in 4e, so probably a frontline cleric), and one more...a Watersoul Genasi who was a swordmage|warlock hybrid in 4e. They're not sure what to do with his class...eldritch knight, warlock, and bladesinger have all been suggested by friends. No idea if those are even good combos and I don't think they care.

twsstastic

Villager
this is the deva btw: Deva
Sometimes called Aasimar, these celestials live many lives in a constant process of reincarnation until one day they either break free and return to their previous existence as Angels or fall from grace and become terrible Rakshasa.
Ability Score Increases: +2 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence
Alignment: Tend toward good.
Size: Medium
Speed: 30'
Celestial Heritage: Deva are Celestials.
Astral Resistance: Deva have resistance to radiant and necrotic damage.
Memory of 1000 Lifetimes:A Deva may re-roll a failed ability check using Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma. Once yo use this ability you must finish a long rest to regain it. At level 10 you regain this ability when you finish a short or long rest.
Languages: You speak Common and Celestial.

mellored

Legend
Based on the 4e party, I'm expecting a Drow Rogue (was a two fisted shooter in 4e, not sure if there will be a 5e build change), a Drow Monk, Dragonborn Bard, Dwarf Cleric (strength in 4e, so probably a frontline cleric), and one more...a Watersoul Genasi who was a swordmage|warlock hybrid in 4e. They're not sure what to do with his class...eldritch knight, warlock, and bladesinger have all been suggested by friends. No idea if those are even good combos and I don't think they care.
So... 2 melee, 2 ranged, and 2 are capable of healing.

I would stick straight wizard.

Remove ads