• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Familiars and Stats.... Help!

JLXC

First Post
Well I have a new Wizard in the Party and they suggested something... how about rolling up Stats for the familiar using the tables on page 23 of the DMG (Monster PC ability Scores). Essentially we are talking a 3d6 throw... then using the table to keep the lower scores (Cha and Str in this example) down. He wants his Weasel familiar to be a bit more special and plans to roleplay the Weasel a lot. Anyone done this? Anyone feel this would be too imbalancing? Wat do you all think?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I see no need for this. The player does not need to roll stats to role-play the weasel. The thing that will make it special is it's behavior, not it's numeric attributes.

Artoomis

First Post
No, no - they are NOT PCs.

If you want random stats (which I don't recommend - somehow they always seem to be rather artificially high) be sure to apply modifers to the rolls

For a weasel I suggest:

First, of course, no roll for intelligence - that's controlled by being a familiar. For the rest, let's assume the MM stats were adjusted from rolls of "10":

S: 3d6 - 7
D: 3d6 + 5
Co: 3d6
I: -- (3d6-8)
W: 3d6 + 2
Ch: 3d6 - 5

It doesn't look so attractive that way, does it? However, it would make the weasel more of an individual rather a "generic" weasel. A familiar should not get better stats unless it was some sort of improved familair (paid for with the feat).

Artoomis

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Make the modifiers even numbers.

Perhaps. I was only pointing out the modifiers from a roll of 10 as they are in the MM. One should adjust them from there as seems right, if you feel it's needed.

kmdietri

Explorer
I don't see any problem with just using the tables, for the lower scores, and giving the familiar the bonus on the roles as you would for a PC. Especially if your only going to give a 3d6 roll.

Using the tables and this method the stat ranges would look like this.

Str 1-4
Dex 7-22
Con 3-18
Int 2
Wis 5-20
Cha 1-8

And with rolls of only 3d6 your avarages should be a little lower then.

IMO I don't think that would be too unbalancing.

Remove ads