• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard in Melee, step back and shoot? and staff Q.

Abciximab

Explorer
No, I use HP & spells. I just don't do freeze frame combat, a very stupid concept from 3.x.

So, what do you play? Even in 4th ed you can avoid an opportunity attack by shifting away.

It's interesting to me that the shift and cast thing has never come up as an issue in my campaigns, maybe because the players know how to work around it. Most of my casters, (both as player and DM) cast defensively anyway (out of neccessity).

Kask

First Post
So, what do you play?

This forum should give you a hint. ;)

It's interesting to me that the shift and cast thing has never come up as an issue in my campaigns, maybe because the players know how to work around it. Most of my casters, (both as player and DM) cast defensively anyway (out of neccessity).

I first introduced it as a means of reigning in spell casters who got even more powerful when 3.0 came out. They can't cast defensively and lose their spell if hit for damage in my games.

Abciximab

Explorer
This forum should give you a hint. ;)

I first introduced it as a means of reigning in spell casters who got even more powerful when 3.0 came out. They can't cast defensively and lose their spell if hit for damage in my games.

There's a lot of cross posting from all versions so its not always easy to tell. Probably because of people like me who play both 3.5 & 4th. ;)

Ah, so you house ruled it.

Kask

First Post
There's a lot of cross posting from all versions so its not always easy to tell. Probably because of people like me who play both 3.5 & 4th. ;)

Ah, so you house ruled it.

Yah, the non-full caster classes were being made more irrelevant in 3.X & I didn't want to do a huge power increase for non-casters. So, I notched one group down a bit and the other up a bit. Not perfect but, workable.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Guys, relax. It's okay if you disagree with one another. Don't take offense when none is intended, and give one another the benefit of the doubt.

Feel the need to check on something that I think is very straightforwardly allowed in 3.5, but my 8 yr old says just doesn't make sense.

Barbarian (with normal 5 ft reach) in melee with a wizard. Wizard's turn. 5 ft step back and away from barbarian, so no AoO, and then whispers a few words and fires a lightning bolt at the barbarian, again, no AoO as not in reach of barbarian. Is this legal? I can see why this annoys my son, so is he onto something I've missed?

Just to be clear... This (the way you've described it, above) is the way that the rule actually. works. The wizard can, indeed, step back and blast the barbarian without drawing an Attack of Opportunity.

Also, your 8 yr old son is correct, the rules don't always make sense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads