• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard powers compiled by school

The Human Target

Adventurer
I posted this question on the WotC forums too, but I might as well bring it up here too.

Many of the spells listed in the Evocation section )maybe the others as well, I haven't looked) are listed as having the Evocation keyword but don't have it in the CB.

And I'm not talking about the new ones added in this article. Spells like Bigbys Icy Grasp or Icy Rays etc.

Am I missing something?

I am new to using the online character builder.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Yeah I get that for the spells that this article added to Evocation they wouldn't be up yet.

I'm talking about the ones that the article says have been Evocation powers since before this article, but actually still lack the keyword.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Until this list came out, I hadn't realized the extent to which things were skewed toward Evocations. With Heroes of the Feywild we are likely to see more Enchantments, and perhaps Illusions and (hopefully) Transmutations.

Sadly, I don't see a whole lot coming from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos but more Evocations. I hope that I'm wrong.

I'd like to see the "classic" AD&D schools fleshed out more fully - let's see more Transmutations and Abjurations. Let's see Conjuration get its own school benefits for Mages.

Divinations are really the province of rituals, so they don't really need to be added to in terms of powers, IMO.

Incenjucar

Legend
Until this list came out, I hadn't realized the extent to which things were skewed toward Evocations. With Heroes of the Feywild we are likely to see more Enchantments, and perhaps Illusions and (hopefully) Transmutations.

Sadly, I don't see a whole lot coming from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos but more Evocations. I hope that I'm wrong.

It's almost certain to be. While you CAN do a lot more with the Elements than just blast things, you have to be more creative, and it's much easier just to keep making wizards work like WoW's instead of actually make them feel like Merlin.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Wouldn't that be gains instead of regains? "Winged Horde" didn't have the Illusion keyword in the original Dragon 381 article; it cannot "regain" what it never had before, right?

But I agree that it needed it. I also thought that the Fear keyword would be a good idea, and give the Fear damage type to all damage it deals; but that's for flavor only, and apparently not likely to ever happen.

Fear isn't a damage type, it's an effect type. Generally the damage type in that case would be psychic. As a poison user will tell you, you don't want a damage type that is also an effect type, because then monsters immune to fear are immune to both damage and effect of the power. Fear as an effects keyword would be nice though, as there is a few feats that reference it (the tiefling one in particular).

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: Fear not being a damage type, but being an effect type: I used to know that. Thanks for the reminder.

(Where did I put that information in my "external brain pack"? Under Immunities? Under Keywords? Must (re)organize!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads