Wizard Prestige class with Handle Animal as a class skill?

rgard

Adventurer
No, I'm thinking of the Arcane Devotee. I'm fairly certain you get the domain power from the domain you take. I think the version I'm thinking of is the one from the Players' Guide to Faerun. Just have to find a domain that grants Handle Animal as a class skill. There may not be one. The Animal Domain doesn't have it, but should imho.

I'm about 200 miles from my books so I tried searching for the class on line. I'm not finding the domain powers reference. Maybe steered you in the wrong direction, Rumbletiger.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm about 200 miles from my books so I tried searching for the class on line. I'm not finding the domain powers reference. Maybe steered you in the wrong direction, Rumbletiger.
It's ok, thanks for devoting the brain power to considering my post in the first place!

No, it's just a relatively early Forgotten Realms supplement (gorgeous production values and very interesting villainous stuff, btw, good pickup if you can get your hands on it). Zhentarim Skymages are arcane casters working for the Zhentarim, a villainous mafia/military/cult organisation. They get a pet flying magical beast (Yrthak, Manticore, even Roc are on the list), some bonus spells known (in the form of pickable scrolls), and a few metamagic tricks (like free Enlarge spell, IIRC). Their chassis is also a little bit sturdier than a standard Wizard (better skills, for one). Oh, and full spellcasting progression over 5 levels.

I tracked it down, Lord of Darkness was at the bottom of my Forgotten Realms book pile, I don't think I've honestly looked at it before.

This is pretty cool, and flavored for what I'm looking for.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to build an NPC entirely devoted to the development of Rust Monster Mounts.

I know I've probably mentioned the idea way to often, but it's one of my pet projects and I'm constantly coming back to it. I was able to use the concept in one of my campaigns as a pet for my Factotum, which was super fun that my DM permitted it, and it ended up being a cool addition to the character. However, I've not been able to fully cultivate all the concept can do.

So, I want to create a character devoted entirely to the development of advanced Rust Monsters. I envision some military branch commissioning one individual just twisted and driven enough to embrace such a challenge. The basic concept is as follows:

1. Acquire baby Rust Monsters from the Rust Monster Wand, as per my guide.

2. Raise these critters to be obedient and fully grown. Have the breeder specialize is spells and skills that will aid this purpose, as per my guide. This is why I need both a full caster, and the Handle Animal skill as high as I can get it.

3. Use the level 7 arcane spell Dragon Ally to summon a 18HD Young Adult Rust Dragon and ask it to perform 1 task- breed with 3 female Rust Monsters. Dragons aren't known for being very picky about their breeding partners, and the breeder will make the price enticing. This will allow the application of the Half Dragon Template.

4. Half Rust Dragon Rust Monsters have a number of excellent advantages. First, Acquiring the Lawful Neutral alignment in a creature you want to serve as a mount is beneficial. Second, the +2 INT now makes for an intelligent, Lawful Neutral creature that can better consider actions in the battlefield and within military service. Third, according to Races of the Dragon p.71, The Half-Rust Dragon gains a line of acid breath weapon, which isn't as cool as a rusting breath, but honestly supplements the natural abilities of the Rust Monster. Fourth, it can be expected that once this creature achieves Large size, it should sprout wings, making for a very effective mount. While the Half Dragon Template is silent on if it grants wings to creatures that start off large sized, or can grow to large size through advancing in HD, I'm going to go with the Rust Monster's insect-like appearance and conceptually have the carapace split open and have wings underneath.

5. From there, the breeder will crossbreed the Half Dragon with each other to create a Half Dragon strain, and breed the Half dragons with basic rust monsters to create a Draconic Template strain.

And so, I need a full caster (To get to level 7 spells), with Handle Animal Skill, and a pretty long lifespan to devote the years to such a project. Hence, an Elf Wizard with a Handle Animal PrC. The flavor of the Zhentarim Skymage fits very, very nicely into this concept, it's all about the strange and exotic flying mounts! Thanks!

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
Might inspire you to throw these ideas out there:

Since Dragon Ally is what you want to cast, may I recommend just getting a scroll and casting away? It's not as if you desperately need a Wizard for anything else in your idea. Just pick whatever suits your fancy, and UMD it or have an ally/underling/cohort cast the spell. I imagine a Druid with Aberration Wildshape would suit your concept just as well! Rust Monster-wildshaped Druid mounted on a large Half-Dragon Rust Monster...

Also, consider undead Rust Monsters. The way I read it, Zombie Rust Monsters retain the Rust special attack (since it's an ability that improves their melee attack).

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Might inspire you to throw these ideas out there:

Since Dragon Ally is what you want to cast, may I recommend just getting a scroll and casting away? It's not as if you desperately need a Wizard for anything else in your idea. Just pick whatever suits your fancy, and UMD it or have an ally/underling/cohort cast the spell. I imagine a Druid with Aberration Wildshape would suit your concept just as well! Rust Monster-wildshaped Druid mounted on a large Half-Dragon Rust Monster...

Also, consider undead Rust Monsters. The way I read it, Zombie Rust Monsters retain the Rust special attack (since it's an ability that improves their melee attack).
I had definitely considered making use of Undead Rust Monsters, but the idea of simply using a scroll to accomplish the task hadn't occurred to me. I'll give that some thought, possibly even go with a Cleric with the Magic Domain instead. Something Druidish, with a loose interpretation of "Natural".

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am pretty sure the Ruathar is intended to be NOT an elf. Excerpt: "Also known as “elf-friend” or “star-friend,” a ruathar is a person of some other race who has earned the special friendship of the elven folk." (Emphasis mine.)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I am pretty sure the Ruathar is intended to be NOT an elf. Excerpt: "Also known as “elf-friend” or “star-friend,” a ruathar is a person of some other race who has earned the special friendship of the elven folk." (Emphasis mine.)
Page 122, in the paragraph following the one you partially quoted, "Elves can become Ruathars, but such characters are somewhat unusual..."

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I've decided that since I was torn between wanting Handle Animal as a class skill, and access to a level 7 arcane spell, while still building a character in such a way that would suit the personality and storyline, I've opted for Druid/Wizard, 1 level Beast Heart Adept, than 10 levels Arcane Hierophant.

Aberration Blood feat (tail) to set the stage for the affinity for the critters at level 1, starting off as Druid. Some backstory of being dumped with the Druids when no one else wanted to take the freakish child. Finding the Druidic education unfulfilling (after 2 levels), pursue the arcane arts (Wizard 2 levels). A third level of Druid while still trying to find himself, and then the acquisition of a Rust Monster Wand. 1 level Beast Heart Adept while raising the cute little critters, and now, with new life purpose, the 10 levels of Arcane Hierophant, devoting everything he knows to making Rust Monsters awesome.

Fudging the rules a little to make the Monstrous Companion a Rust Monster (Not on the list) and then the Companion Familiar off the Monstrous Companion. This will result in a Rust Monster with an eventual INT of 13. Since I'm designing this for an NPC I'll use in a future campaign when I DM, I'm ok with fudging.

So, one Super Smart Rust Monster Companion Familiar, and a brood of other Rust Monsters being bred and raised. Eventually this individual will introduce these creatures into the market for very special buyers. Half-Dragon Rust Monsters and Half-Fay Rust Monsters will end up populating the countryside likely making a menace and creating some plot hooks, but by then, this NPC will be very powerful and feel rather protective.

And likely, slightly mad, but that's ok.

Remove ads