• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard retraining problem

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Hmm, at least that's how I thought it worked. Now that I actually come to look it up, I can't find any explicit rules, updates or clarifications to confirm it.

I just glanced at the PHB. It's entirely possible I missed something, but it looks like it's just a bag-o-powers, just like every other class.

kerbarian

Explorer
I just glanced at the PHB. It's entirely possible I missed something, but it looks like it's just a bag-o-powers, just like every other class.
It's described poorly in the PHB; the FAQ (question 8) does a better job. It describes a wizard choosing one spell "from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook", another spell "from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook", etc., and that you can't choose a spell from a different list when preparing dailies.

What they don't describe is how this works when you choose to learn a spell that's lower level than normal. How I understand it is that your "list of 5th-level daily spells" might actually be one 5th-level spell and one 1st-level spell, but that's still the list you have to choose from when preparing your 5th-level daily.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
It's described poorly in the PHB; the FAQ (question 8) does a better job. It describes a wizard choosing one spell "from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook", another spell "from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook", etc., and that you can't choose a spell from a different list when preparing dailies.

I understand the FAQ's term "list" to be "any spell in the book of level X and lower" not "the two spells chosen at a certain level" which is the odd mechanic people seem to want to use in this thread. The statement "you can't prepare the same spell twice" in the PHB would be completely meaningless otherwise.

kerbarian

Explorer
I understand the FAQ's term "list" to be "any spell in the book of level X and lower" not "the two spells chosen at a certain level" which is the odd mechanic people seem to want to use in this thread. The statement "you can't prepare the same spell twice" in the PHB would be completely meaningless otherwise.
I agree that the statement about not preparing the same spell twice in the PHB is redundant, but that doesn't make me think that the FAQ should be interpreted differently.

Most places where you can choose a power (gaining a new power, retraining, etc.), you also have the option of choosing a lower-level one, so it's an understandable assumption that wizards can do the same thing when preparing spells. In all of those other cases, though, the option of choosing a lower-level power is explicity stated, and nowhere does it say that a wizard has that option when preparing spells.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Just use 9th level retraining to make 1A into 1C and choose 9A and 1A as your 9th level powers. don't do anything with 5A or B...one retrain one level. that's it....you can choose lower lever powers at any level and there is nothing that states when in the process you retrain...in fact, it doesn't make sense at all for you to retrain powers AFTER you gain powers for a level...if that were the case, leveling up in the Paragon tiers would be rough because that is phrased as "retraining a lower level power"

This will also make it so you have to move the power less often as you move between H - P - E tiers (assuming you want if for that long).

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads