• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spells 10-16 Two Page Spread

Zelster

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
It's true. That's why the wizard has been so strong for so long and the fighter so weak. D&D players are nerds. They identify strongly with the wizard and despise the fighter, the jock class.

Yes! This is absolutely 100% correct.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Dr. Awkward said:
How do we know that it doesn't actually say that in the minion write-up? Remember, those stat blocks were designed specifically for the convention games. I think it's unwise to try to reverse engineer too much out of them without constantly paying attention to that fact.

I'm just going off what Hypersmurf said. He's usually right. ;)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Hussar said:
I'm going to take a wildly absurd leap here and think that maybe, just maybe, the six hundred playtesters might have come up against this one and already dealt with it. It's true, they might not have, but, y'know what? I'm going to pretend they have.
This is usually my response to these sorts of things. Why exactly do random internet messageboard people who find a problem in a couple of minutes of looking think that nobody noticed the problem before them, and certainly not the people testing the rules in which the problem inheres?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Dr. Awkward said:
Why exactly do random internet messageboard people who find a problem in a couple of minutes of looking think that nobody noticed the problem before them, and certainly not the people testing the rules in which the problem inheres?
Ancient Chinese proverb -

Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.

danskcarvalho

First Post
Where are the level 14 spells?

Hi! This is my first post here!

Have anyone noticed that the book jumps from Level 13 to Level 15 Spells? It means that there won't be level 14 spells?

And it seems that the wizard will have few at-will powers... It can be seen from these two page spreads. No spell is an at-will power...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lanu2000 said:
Unfortunately, this isn't true... this is a daily spell, so we won't have a refresh. :(

Oh, right - I saw the spells divided into Utility, Encounter, and Daily, and assumed that 'Utility' meant 'At-Will' in 4E Wizard Spell Jargon.

It seems that 'Encounter' means 'Attack Encounter', Daily means 'Attack Daily', and Utility means 'Utility Encounter or Utility Daily'.

In which case... huh. Mirror Image, as a level 10 Daily 4E spell, seems to kinda suck compared to Mage Armor, a level 1 3E spell. I wonder if Mage Armor made it into 4E...?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
If this is an indication of the general design principle for Buff spells, the self-buffer isn't going to be a hugely viable concept - you can't keep more than three buffs with a Sustain Minor going, you can't keep more than two going while doing anything else, and you can't keep more than one going while being at all useful on a mobile battlefield...

-Hyp.
The 3.x spellcasters ability to have a huge list of buffs up was a bug, not a feature, imo.

Admittedly, all of those with "sustain, minor" on this page are daily, so I don't expect you to have too many of the up at the same time.

Is it just me, or is this list kinda small for what is apparently "spell levels 6 to 8". I mean, the spells are interesting and evocative, but that aren't that many. On the other hand, I guess there are no "at will" powers here.

I'm also beginning to become impressed with the small size of everything, every thing's getting quite compact.

(and I like the picture, Esp with the Armour)

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Mages can wear actual armor, including cloth armor, so I don't think they're going to really NEED Mage Armor.

That said, it might stack.

keterys

First Post
I wonder if Mage Armor made it into 4E...?

Wizards wear cloth armor - ie, stuff like +2 Robes of the War Mage, or whatever.

So I'd guess no, myself. It's definitely a whole new game. I'd really love to see a progression of what you get at what levels, though.

hong

WotC's bitch
Actually, do we know how armour proficiencies work yet? Is there anything stopping the wiz stepping into a suit of fullplate if he feels like it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads