• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard spells due to leveling from Core books only?

Mojobacca

First Post
[FONT=&quot]I understand that based on the Wizard info, when you level up, you gain 2 spells total from levels you have access to and that you gain these based on researching and perfecting formulae. My question is whether those spells are required to be from the core books (PHB, XGtE, etc) or could they be, with DM review/approval of course, spells you actually have created?[/FONT]

epithet

Explorer
There is no requirement, it works however the DM and players agree that it works. You could just as easily say that the spell that a wizard gets when gaining a level are spells that wizard has created, and the level represents time, research, and practice to accomplish that. That's a lot more work than I would recommend, but there is nothing stopping you from doing it that way.

jgsugden

Legend
While AL games have restrictions that would prevent original spells, there are no limitations here. In older editions, I used to make spell after spell after spell. Everyspellcaster the PCs met had their own original spells. I saved all of them and built a Tome that I revisit all the time. However, in 5E, I find myself using the core spells far more often.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As DM, I would be inclined to award players that put in the time to create their own spells. My concern would be with balance. I don't have a strong enough grasp of the underlying math and mechanics the Wizard's 5e team uses for spell creation. I would make a rough comparison to other spells of that level. If during play, the player-created spell seems overpowered, I may introduce a chance of failure, or describe its effects as being weaker. I may allow it to regain effects/strength at higher levels. In short, I would tell the player that we'll try it out but that this is new magic. It hasn't been tested by generations of wizards. Its effects may be unpredictable. Basically, an in-game, narrative description for metagaming mechanical finessing.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
This is the perfect place for the DM to insert some campaign lore or have a quest to discover some spell. As a player you may be able to get one of your spells by suggesting to the DM a quest. Come up with a lost tomb where your research says the spell is contained behind some difficulty. Win-Win

Remove ads