• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Students

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I came up with this learning plan for sub-Level 1 wizard students, figured I'd put it out there in case anyone else wanted to use it. This effectively spreads out the Wizard class and the character's background into "time units." Background was included because I expect learning to be a wizard to be a rather formative experience, but that doesn't mean it's limited to Sage (for their thesis, an enchanter or illusionist may want to travel with a band of entertainers, an evoker may want to join the army, etc.). Depending on the level of magic in the game, each shaded band on the plan could be any length of time, but for my own purposes I use one year (making wizard school a 6 year endeavor, which seems reasonable to me). To simplify, you can safely ignore the prerequisites and simply go down the list from top to bottom.

Lesson Plan.png

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
It is a bit hard to read, but I like the idea. This may be good with another thread with all spells being able to cast as a ritual. Maybe the 0-level mage gets a few spells to use, but needs to make them rituals until 1st level.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
There's a bit of image compression that seems to be messing up the kerning. I just replaced it with a png, but it seems to be an artifact of exporting from powerpoint. So I just replaced it with a png from a screen capture of the slide (I'm functionally doing cartwheels here), and I think it came out a lot better. If it's the Germanic hand you don't like... sorry lol. I created the font specifically to emulate my own dip pen calligraphy, but I can understand that not everyone enjoys the look.

You could also accomplish your idea by swapping Ritual Mastery with Spell Foundations, and moving the spellbook and scribing over to Ritual Mastery and the spell slots to the Thesis =). I decided to put the ritual class after getting spell slots because wizards have a particular brand of ritual feature that makes it more valuable, so I didn't want to front-load it (but that's just me).

Another potential use for this chart is to figure out what sort of abilities a wizard school dropout might have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads