• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard wants to help during combat without Evoke or Conjure

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi everyone,

I am about to play a wizard without evocation or conjuration spells - but the big question I am having problems with is how to help during combat? Yes, I have buff spells, but those pretty much have to be cast ahead of time ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sniktch

First Post
Transmutation has some nice offensive firepower, especially at higher levels.

And IMO, you can't go wrong with a little necromancy - negative energy ray, negative energy burst, enervation, etc...

Victim

First Post
Creative use of illusions can shape the map in favor of your companions.

Enchantment, Transmutation and Necromancy all contain weakening or disabling spells. Suggestion, Polymorph, Sleep, Ray of Enfeeblement, Confusion, etc.

JohnClark

First Post
I played a transmuter who dropped evocation, and I was plent effective. At higher levels you have the polymorphs and disintegrate. At the lower levels you have the buff spells and such. Also, illusion complements it nicely.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Here's a short list of spells you can use.

1 - True strike, charm person, hypnotism, sleep, color spray, silent image, cause fear, chill touch, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, magic weapon, shocking grasp

2 - Resist elements, see invisibility, Tasha's hideous laughter, blur, hypnotic pattern, invisibility, minor image, mirror image, ghoul touch, scare, spectral hand, alter self, blindness/deafness, darkvision, knock, levitate, pyrotechnics

3 - dispel magic, magic circle against evil, protection from elements, hold person, suggestion, displacement, invisibility sphere, major image, halt undead, vampiric touch, blink, fly, greater magic weapon, haste, keen edge, slow

4 - minor globe of invulnerability, stoneskin, scrying, charm monster, confusion, emotion, hallucinatory terrain, improved invisibility, phantasmal killer, shadow conjuration, contagion, enervation, fear, bestow curse, dimension door, polymorph other

Not a bad list of spells. Who needs fireballs and summoned monsters! :D

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the ideas. I am making a list!

Why am I burning Evoke and Conjure? As a transmuter I needed one opposite (Evocation), and the world I'm playing in doesn't have other planes, so no summoning spells. Plus I'm kind of trying for a challenge roleplaying wise, so my character doesn't like the conjure school.

The worst part is, I suppose, that I only want ~ 3 or 4 levels of wizard, and then mostly physical levels. Sinec I'm starting off at lev 6, I won't have much to contribute physically, so I need to be able to contribute spellcasting wise, or some combination :p

Serves me right for choosing something like rogue2/wiz3/rgr1 :p

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Just curious but are you allowed to use other sources beyond the core books/official WotC Books? If so what?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Even if you don't level up as a Wizard in the near term, you will be VERY effective as a Wiz5/Rog1.

Great 3rd level spells:
- Suggestion -- this spell absolutely rocks
- Dispel Magic
- Magic Circle vs. Evil
- Hold Person
- Slow
- Haste
- Fly

-- Nifft

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads