• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dravot

First Post
Winter of Night, aka, My dinner with Andre, er, Ravik

Dravot’s Journal

While waiting for Valanthe to return from Sigil with my new periapt, I cast a sending, and contacted Thora.

Look for me at the office at lunchtime.
I'll be available for some business.
Ask Zira if she'll come with me to Ruun Kazai.

The response came back immediately.

There is lots for you to sign.
An envoy from Xavener is here for you.
I'll ask her, I'm sure she'll go."

I thought for a moment about changing my plans, but I stopped myself. I have been dreading any contact with Xavener for a while now, but I need to deal with it, and this moment seemed as good as any.

I occupied my time until it was time to go to Brindinford.

I then teleported to the offices, only to find myself face to face with Lindi, one of the kitchen staff. She began to scream and suddenly the dishes of food that she was carrying found themselves aloft. She then began screaming something about a dog demon, and was pointing at me.

Needless to say I was rather confused.

Thora was at her desk, and looked up. "Lindi! Calm down! It's all right! IT'S ALL RIGHT!", she yelled in order to make herself heard. The young girl looked at me, her eyes still full of fear. "It's only the Lord Dravot, dear. He's just wearing that frightful head-piece of his." She casts a scolding glance at me. "Oh, for Pelor's sake, will you remove that horrid thing? You look a sight in it."

I grinned at Thora and removed the helm. “I’m sorry, Lindi. I didn’t mean to frighten you.” I put the helm away and tried to make amends by helping clean up the food mess I had caused.

Overall, things look pretty good here, but there are a few concerns, specifically, the refugees from Rauxes. The captain of the watch has requested a night time curfew, which I am inclined to grant. It will keep the public safety and help enforce the rule of law. The refugees are living in a tent city has grown just outside of town, and there are guards posted for their safety. So far, feeding them hasn’t been a problem, but if more continue to arrive that may change.

The Temple of Wee Jas has finished their new facility outside of town, and have turned their old buildings back to the Estate. Thora says that there is some contention for the old buildings, as the property they’re on is quite valuable, but no one has formally requested it’s use as of yet.

Our family crypts have been repaired and reconsecrated, which pleases me. I’m glad that episode of my life is past me.

After completing the paperwork, I had luncheon with Ravik, the envoy from the Overking. A halfling, he was dressed in expensive velvets and had the nerve to treat me almost as if I were his guest.

"My Lord Dravot. This IS an honor. I had begun to resolve to never meeting you! Though I hasten to add that your house has been very accomodating to my no-doubt unwelcome intrusion to your daily affairs. Not all of our OverKing's subjects have been as welcoming, I assure you."

I responded as politely as I could. "Greetings, Ravik. I'm glad that you've found our hospitality to your
liking. I wish that I could have been here earlier, but I've been rather busy with various affairs. I'm certainly grateful for this chance to meet with you, and I'm sure that you're anxious to get back to the courts after spending so much time here." I was certainly anxious to send him on his way.

A true halfling, he was more interested in the meal than in business, at least as long as there was food to be had. Fortunately, my time with Bolo taught me that this was merely a cultural affectation, and I tried as best as possible to be patient until the meal was done. We talked briefly about social goings-on at the Court as we ate.

Finally, we got to business. Apparently, Xavener is concerned at the reports of my continued absences from Brindinford. There is speculation that I have thrown my lot in with Chavram, and he has asked for a statement of loyalty from me. I have drafted one up and will send it with Ravik in the morning, along with news from Hexpools and Rauxes.

Zira returned from patrol later on, and I noticed that while she wore the colors of Brindinford, she did not wear her usual devices, and I asked her about it. She only stated that she was uncomfortable wearing them in Ravik’s presence, and did not want to attract attention to herself, and that she would speak more of it later.

In the morning, we will return to Ruun Kazai. There I hope to learn more of the curse that she and her brother , and to see what can be done about it.

dravot

First Post
Dear OverKing

Unto His Royal Majesty, OverKing Xavener, does Lord Dravot of Brindinford
send humble greetings.

In speaking with Your envoy, Lord Ravik, it has come to my attention that there may be concern about where my loyalties lay, especially given that Chavram is my grandfather.

Please be assured that I find everything that Chavram stands for anathema, and I have undertaken every chance to thwart him and his plans, and will continue to do so.

My loyalties to this Realm are as strong as ever, and I acknowledge You as the Dread Sovereign of these lands. As Your vassal, it is my wish and desire to aid You in whatever endeavors can benefit the kingdom.

With honor, and in service

Dravot d'Chandagnac

Unto His Royal Majesty, OverKing Xavener, does Lord Dravot of Brindinford
send humble greetings.

Enclosed please find information I have uncovered in my wanderings throughout our fair kingdom.

Hexpools does indeed lie in ruins. There are some survivors, but they have a hardscrabble existence under the thumb of the red dragons who have roosted there. As usual, a few have thrown their lot in with the dragons and are helping them in oppressing our people.

If You have any information to share, I would appreciate hearing from You. It is vital that we rescue the people as soon as possible, but more information must be gathered first.

Also, I have seen the outskirts of Rauxes, and it is a desolate wasteland. It is my intention to lead an assault there at some point in the future, but I am far from ready to do so.

Refugees are continuing to pour in, even as far as we are from Rauxes. Brindinford is doing what we can to shelter and feed them, but we are quickly reaching our breaking point.

With honor, and in service

Dravot d'Chandagnac

Zad

First Post
The Shadow of Winter, Chapter 1

The Shadow of Winter

Chapter 1

OOC Notes:

Experience is 2833 this week. Let’s not forget we left Venn unattended.

Archival note: Ruun Khazai is on hex X-17 on the big ol Greyhawk map.

This Week’s Adventure:

After the confusing episode, things returned to a semblance of normalcy, although strained. We each set about our individual business but kept in contact. I returned to my admittedly relaxing work of spending time alternately in Celene and with Aran’gel. This was probably the most continuous time I’d been able to spend in either area in many months, and I took great pleasure in re-connecting myself.

Valanthe had a meeting with some of her contacts and learned that the Shadow King is apparently depositing large numbers of troops on the Prime. The exact numbers are unknown, but when an army of unknown size and unknown intentions appears, we’d do well to be concerned.

Unfortunately we couldn’t pass this information very far. I had been repeatedly trying to contact the Silverring so that we could pass Venn on to someone better able to safeguard him. The old dragon said he would try to contact the Circle of Eight but we had heard nothing from him since then. Valanthe tried some other channels but we still have heard nothing. I was going to talk with Dravot about attempting to make direct contact with them, before we were distracted by… other matters.

Then there was the matter of a vision. In the course of various teleporting here and there (something that’s becoming disturbingly routine for us) Aethramyr asked to speak to me privately. He told me that he’d had a most unsettling dream the night before.

He stood on an endless plain of sand and rock, older than the world. Harsh winds blew across it, blasting sand upon everything with a force that would flay skin from muscle. Cyclones and whirlwinds twisted across the plains. Nothing green could be seen in any direction under the vast sky filled with harsh storm-clouds that offered thunder and lightning but no hope of life-giving rain. Then, from over the horizon, a vast structure of rock, floating in the air, came flying forth. A tall, thin boulder the size of a castle tower hovered high above the ground. Its surface was sheer though rough, except on the top where a thick green moss grew like a carpet. Standing amidst the green was a lithe old elven woman, quiet and still. She leaned on a short walking stick, tired but resolute. Upon her forehead, he saw a mark that looked somehow familiar but he couldn’t quite place it. She looked at him without comment, and raised her left hand and pointed behind him. He swung about to see a huge being clawing its way free of the earth, its massive hands large enough to engulf a horse. It was like a mixture of earth and fire elementals, composed of different kinds of rock but with the evil red light of magma glowing from beneath and visible through cracks throughout its body like veins. Where it rose from the ground, a vast hole remained, black and glassy. Aethramyr told me he knew in his heart that it was not just the vast heat it generated that stained the land it touched. It screamed in rage, with a hatred of all that lives. And then he heard a wordless voice…

”They are returning, O paragon of the dreamers. They will engulf your world and tear it apart, ere the darkest of the dark is released from his prison. Know you this: Our Lady holds dominion not only over the realms of dreams, but over the darkest of its dreamers. Three gods watch over his prison, and are responsible for his keeping. They aid you, but you must act as their agents, or there will be no world left for the most evil to end. Return to wakefulness, and know that your time draws ever closer.”

With that the vision ended.

Aethramyr said the woman seemed somehow familiar. To me what was familiar wasn’t the woman, but the stone. My mind went back to a chilling cold night, soaring through the night sky. I grabbed my journal and began flipping backwards…

To the right is a column of rock shooting up out of the maze. Actually it was more hovering in the air above it. Part of the column breaks off and redefines itself in the shape of an elven woman. She appears somewhat old and is also examining the maze. She is wearing some type of symbol on a chain at her neck.

This was in the dream that Aethramyr and I shared as we flew to rescue Aran’gel from the clutches of the demon that was impersonating Rackhir’s wife. The idea of the stone reminded me of something else during a divination the Queen had performed for me using the binder -

Should we try to get to the lost binders before Chavram does? Failure to gather at least one of the contested greater binders would be disasterous. However the time is not yet right. (The Queen indicated she could foresee us pursuing a bonder, concealed and under guardianship for 500 years. We will seek it under the earth. She could see the symbol of Therizdun, and saw us in a maze. The elven symbol for stone was also prominent, but she did not know the significance. This bore a great similarity to the vision Aethramyr and I shared while riding Tongs.)

We have indeed recovered (or perhaps “eliminated” a binder) but never noticed the symbol. However when I asked Lord Gelban about the symbol some months ago he said

As to the symbol itself, it relates to the people of The Testing in the Lendore Isles. What they might have to do with all this is puzzling and of some concern to Lord Gelban. He said that he would investigate.

If he ever got a chance to investigate, I never heard the result. I asked Aethramyr if this was the symbol he saw but he could not clearly see it.

I need to find someone in Celene to ask about this. The vision contains several messages and we are still considering the meaning but there are some clear parts of this vision. There is a powerful being – the darkest of the dreamers – being held imprisoned by three gods. These gods will aid us if we aid them. Disaster awaits if the being is released.

I am left again to ponder why such things must be so obscure. If this agent had things she wanted Aethramyr to know, why did she simply not tell him. Who is this being? Who are the gods keeping him at bay? And what needs be done to prevent this disaster? However I gave this little more than a passing thought – this simply seemed to be the way the world worked – cloaked in riddle and enigma. I think it’s how the gods test mortals.

If there are three gods holding this being, and they are willing to help, then perhaps we can contact them directly for more information. The first key being to understand which gods are involved. I am hoping that Dravot’s deep study of religion will offer some insights.

Dravot however was at the family home in Brindinford. He had business to attend to and there was an emissary from The Overking waiting some time to see him. It was a matter he had been putting off and so had to deal with it.

The next day almost everyone happened to be at Ruun Khazai. I was in Celene but everyone else was there. We were having a mental conference about developments. Dravot told us that apparently Xavener was worried about where Dravot’s loyalties lay since he’d been missing so much. Xavaner seemed to be worried that Dravot was siding with his grandfather. A laughable notion to anyone who knows Dravot but he nonetheless reassured the emissary and the matter seemed to be handled for now. We were going on to other matters when the trees informed Bolo that some short folks were approaching.

It turned out to be Bolo’s parents, arrived for a visit. I was a bit concerned about how they got here, and the risk to the secrecy of the place, but the die was cast so little could be done.

Before we could resume our discussion, Dravot received a sending from a priest in Brindinford.

Town under attack. Undead on the march. Defenses raised. Need help.

The rest of the group moved quickly and teleported to Brindinford. I went to the palace had no trouble arranging similar transportation.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived was the smell of acid in the air. I rolled my eyes at the thought of more dragons. While it was daytime, the light was dim as though an early twilight had come. Lightning arced across the sky under turbulent clouds. People were panicking and the refugees that were in the tent city outside town had fled to the walled city proper.

We met up and made some preparations and then went to the eastern gate. As I landed on the wall, I saw ranks of zombies, shambling towards the gate. There were at least three groups of forty zombies. At their lead were two horsemen – town guards – riding for their lives towards the gate.

I took some time to look more closely – the zombies seemed to be of little threat and my friends had better ways of dealing with things like that. The zombies all had bows and their arrows seemed… odd. They would not fly well and seemed more like random sticks than arrows. This would not bode well but I had little time to consider it.

The horsemen had just made it into the gate when one of the horses went down hard. It was thrashing about and suddenly something burst out of the horse. It was like a huge pale blue snake, but with an empty skull for a head. It burst from the horse without tearing the skin. (“Great, incorporeal” I thought to myself.) The horse collapsed and the snake darted through the horseman as well, and he collapsed too, pale and empty. The creature was easily ten feet long and moved around with frightening speed.

Dravot had arrived on the wall near me, and brought Pelor’s wrath to the unrighteous. A shaft of sun came down from above onto Dravot and then burst forth in all directions. The entire first squad of zombies was blasted into ash but the snake was unfazed. However with that, the other horse let out a scream and another snake burst from its hindquarters.

This new snake darted straight for Dravot and flew through him. Dravot felt a chill but his faith protected him from any other ill effects.

Bolo was high overhead in bird form, and he scanned the road and forest for other enemies, feeling as I did that there was more to come. The zombies had also started panic and fires in the tent city, and Bolo brought up a water elemental to put out that fire. Scorch loosed a fireball from a nearby tower and the second troupe of zombies was incinerated.

[Now let’s be accurate here. What Scorch actually did was somewhat different. Scorch was improved invisible and flying in his usual grick form. He landed on a tower next to an archer on the town guard. He couldn’t resist messing with this poor man and whispered “See how Pelor punishes the unrighteous.” And threw the fireball. The rest of the battle each time he threw a spell, he whispered in the man’s ear. The poor fellow began openly weeping and after the battle withdrew from the guard to join the church.]

There’s a sudden rising of sound like the dropping of sticks. A lot of sticks. I turned to look over the wall and saw the misshapen arrows that the first group of zombies had start to move. They were sprouting legs like small twig blights and hundreds of them were swarming towards the walls.

Aethramyr and Valanthe engaged one of the snakes but were having trouble landing their blows, as we expected. I managed to get an arrow into it but only caused minor injury. The snake hissed and sped towards me, but bounced off my shield spell and went by. Fortunately most of my protections are equally effective against this sort of thing. Dravot focused his power more directly and destroyed the snake that had struck at me in a flash of sunlight.

Meanwhile Bolo and Scorch dealt with the twigs that were swarming the walls. Bolo used his powers to explode a great number of the blights, while a chain lightning ripped from the tower and incinerated the rest of the swarm of living wood. In a battle like this, I was glad to have Scorch and Bolo on my side – their destructive power was staggering.

Meanwhile Aethramyr, Valanthe and the just arrived Thorkeld continued to attack the other snake. Thorkeld had just ridden up on a celestial lion, but I had no time to do more than raise an eyebrow before he smashed the snake with his hammer, and the power of it destroyed the snake utterly.

So far this had either been far too easy, or the attacker had not expected such a capable defense. We were all waiting for the other boot to drop and scanning the field at various times. Aethramyr however was taking that more literally than the rest of us, and saw two skeletal birds in the sky over the town, diving hard with something clutched in their claws. Scorch tried to disintegrate the payload but it had no effect. The birds were coming down fast, and it seemed that if their payload landed, it would be bad for us. So I fired at the birds, and at least took them out of the equation, while Bolo and Scorch moved up into the sky to see if there was anything more waiting up there. Valanthe managed to catch one of the spheres, and the acid it was coated in nearly burned her hands off. Aethramyr catches the other safely. They deposited both of them in the water elemental, who seethed and moaned at the acid.

Dravot dropped a blade barrier into the third wave of zombies, neatly destroying both the zombies and their twig blight payload and then moved out of town towards the nearby woods, scanning carefully for more undead. I kept scanning the woods looking for some sign of more attackers and covering Dravot.

Meanwhile Scorch and Bolo broke through the clouds and saw nothing at first. Scorch wasn’t convinced and a See Invisible spell revealed a group of some two score of the skeletal birds, but they did not carry any more of the strange devices. They easily dispatched the birds and returned to ground level.

Meanwhile Dravot was suddenly hit by two bursts of negative energy. It seemed there was something invisible out there but beyond the range of my sight. I moved out some and two large fleshy beasts were revealed -–almost like a flesh golem in size and blubbery composition. I quickly glittered them both so the others could see them, and Dravot destroyed one with a turning. I opened fire on the other one but to no effect – Dravot turned on that one next and destroyed it the same way.

By this time Scorch and Bolo had descended, and Scorch heard the wailing of the water elemental, who was screaming in Aquan. It said the acid burned, but it would take the spheres away with it, if it were dismissed quickly. Bolo wasted no time dismissing the elemental and the dark spheres with it, ending that unknown threat.

It didn’t take long to finish off the stragglers – Thorkeld had been in the battlements destroying the few twigs that had escaped. We moved to the forest edge to look for signs of anything else but found nothing. All tracks were wiped clean, probably by retreating twig blights. Bolo communed with nature and learned that there was one man-thing (as described by the trees) in the forest that did not go with the zombies. It was there, then suddenly gone. It was fleshy, not undead apparently, and didn’t seem to be Chavram. Frankly if it were Chavram, I think the attack would have been more potent. The overall nature of the attack made Dravot believe that these were servants of Orcus, and the attack was probably due to Kargoth.

Did Kargoth expect us to appear and defend the town? Surely the town would have fallen quickly had we not been there. But why attack Brindinford, and what will he do now that he’s been repulsed?

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
To: The Savage Sword of Meepo Adventuring Company, L.L.C

Re: Current outstanding issues

Here is the update to the bi-weekly "To-do" list:

1. Turn over the Theerpart to someone capable of dealing with it
2. Prevent destruction of world by magma elementals and dark dreamer.
3. Recover and/or destroy remaining contested binders
4. Determine source of gulthias horrors and eliminate
5. Destroy Kargoth
6. Destroy Chavram, prevent apotheosis
7. Rescue Lord Gelban
8. Destroy Gulthias
9. Determine who sacked Aethramyr's home town. Exact vengance
10. Determine if there are more people behind the attack on the Green. Eliminate.
11. Determine if Greyhawk Dragons are a threat
12. Destroy Shadow King
13. Find out what Fraz Erb Luu is up to
14. Prevent release of Therizdun
15. Destroy Scarlet Brotherhood, or at least the Red Lord
16. Destroy creature that cut off Aran'gel's hand and did all that other naughty stuff
17. Kill any and all orcs encountered

Please note that if your backlog continues to build up at this rate, the human party members will have to turn into elves just to have a lifespan long enough to deal with these items. Suggest you get a move on.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
A Week in the life

Ever since the demon attack Bolo had been thinking about his mortality. Eventually he realized what he would need to do. Bolo spends most of his time at The Grove in the lands of black ice and that is where his crusade started.
The villagers have come to like the sensitive Halfling and it is no longer strange to them to see him half naked tending the grove, but today was special. There was a 30’ tall earth elemental moving stones into a circle around the great rowan. These megaliths were made of white and gray granite and had to weigh a few tons each. Helping to direct the elemental was Borialis the awakened Polar bear. Once the stones were in place Bolo thanked the elemental and went about more work.
He had taken some of the small bushes he had planted off to the right of the great tree last time he stayed for more than a day and started to shape them into 9 living seats. 1 small and in the center of the hemisphere that the other 8 formed. Borialis wandered around with a bemused look on his face saying, “Bolo, do you think it’s wise to do this?
“Of course” The druid replied. “I have all the faith in the world that we can do this. I have to assume the responsibilities that are part of the package of an elder druid. I have to teach the way to students, and what better place to learn the green ways then here beneath the great Rowan.” Bolo’s bogun was flitting around building a fire pit between the students’ seats and Bolo’s seat. The strange little creature looking like a wooden toy that had somehow escaped its puppet strings. “Master the pit is finished.”
“Thanks Chia. Please tend to the pruning of the seats.” Bolo replied. He was very happy that he had created the plant minion it was coming in handy.
A few of the villagers were starting to crowd around the circle and asking questions of the bear whom they knew well. Borealis replied that Bolo had decided to start teaching a few druid initiates and in a few days would be calling for those who were interested.
Bolo took a few moments to travel to the Blue Bugbear tribe who lived in the forest on the edge of Beory’s Rest. The shaman was awaiting him. Bolo had gotten used to her knowing when he would show up. Bolo had been learning her language for some time now and while not fluent he could at least get the point across that he would accept two members of her tribe for his circle of Initiates if they chose to come. He advised her that this was a way for the tribe and the village to strengthen their ties and bond of trust. She agreed and sent a young male and female along with Bolo. The shaman advised him that the boy was gifted with animals and showed no signs of being a warrior. And the girl was too weak to care for herself in the wild; she was hoping that Bolo could aid the girl. Bolo accepted them and all 3 returned to the grove in the forms of hawks thanks to a ‘Feathers’ spell.
The next day Bolo chose from the villagers 6 people who had shown interest in his ways, 2 male Gnomes, an Elven man, a human woman, and 2 half Orcs (male and female). He also spent the day finding and enlisting the aid of a few of the native animals. He “Awakened” 5 Wolves and 3 Falcons. All of who were willing to guard the grove.
One the third day the classes began. All went well until Sharina Trives the village midwife came running up the path and told Bolo that one of the workers rebuilding the town had been killed due to a fall from the roof of the town hall that was being built. Bolo went to the body and asked the spirit of the man (an elderly human named Rogiar) if he would want to return. Rogiar said yes and Bolo cast Reincarnation. The new body formed and Rogiar came back to life as a Satyr. Ravenna took the Goat man away and said she would help him get adjusted to his new form. The Owl just watched with the same bemused fascination that she looks at everything with. Bolo really likes the Owl but they have not had time to just sit and talk.
“"Hmmph. I suppose it'll do. Best be keeping him away from the girl, old Bird. Satyrs ain't good for much 'cept tree-hugging and.....", Haldrin mused. He had censored himself again, what with the Owl's apprentice, Ember, being about. "Well, like I said...It'll do, druid." Haldrin is one of Bolo’s closest friends outside of the Chosen of Gelban.
“Ehlonna be praised. Not me. But thanks for the thought.” The druid piped back with a huge smile on his face.
The rest of the week went well and there were no further incidents at the Grove. Bolo decided that he should go to the academy that the Chosen were using as a base of operations and that is where he got the shock of his life. His parents had shown up at the doors of Rhuun-Kazia and were looking for him.
Now Danforth and Rose Brandybuck don’t get away from their village much and certainly don’t look for their son in strange Githyanki fortresses. But his father the paladin of Yondalla said he had had a vision of Bolo and tracked it here. It would seem that Bolo was not the only member of his family to be attacked by demons. Bolo’s sisters were on their way to the Grove in Beory’s Rest and would probably bee there by now. Bolo unfortunately is a bit bewildered by his parents’ presence even though Scorch and Danforth have struck up a story telling one-upmanship fight and in so doing Danforth has come to learn that Bolo has become quite the hero. Rose on the other hand seems to think poorly of the Elves in general and treats Aethramyr as a dim-witted child. The champion of the Goddess of Dreams seems to be proving his strength of will in not telling Rose off. After showing them to their room Bolo was informed that Brindenford, Dravot’s home was under attack.

Zad

First Post
The Shadow of Winter - Chapter 2

OOC Notes:

Exp is 4100

The elven interior decorator was a practitioner of Shueng Fey.

This Week’s Adventure

The years during the Hateful Wars were a sad time to grow up in. The savagery of the orcish tribes was unmatched, and the air was filled with desperation. As the tide turned and the orcs were beaten back, the tone changed from desperation to fierceness – and then to vengeance. Orc and goblin warrens were razed, their occupants smoked out and put to the sword, even women and children. And I wondered if we had become as savage as those we fought against. Eventually I realized the difference between the elves and orcs was that we didn’t start the war. And the only way to quench their undying hatred of the elves and find peace was to end their lives.

But during the wars, there were stories. Stories of grand battles against hordes of the foul folk of the underdark. Stories of great heroes who held back armies of invaders single-handedly. Their deeds changed the tide of the war, and their stories gave hope and courage to everyone who heard them.

Tonight, I lived that story.

As for what Kargoth would do now that he had been repulsed, I didn’t have to wait long to find out.

After the battle, the panic subsided quickly. The fires were put out and everyone moved into the comparative safety of the city. Dravot and Thorkeld saw to the business of reinforcing the defenses of the town. Teams of scouts were sent out to look for another attack – a force like that doesn’t just appear suddenly.

Dravot and Scorch investigated the remains of the attackers. In the decaying flesh of the golem-like creatures, they found a bracelet in each. It was black and had an evil feel to it. Scorch attempted to remove them. The first time he had no troubles but on the second one, he mistakenly touched it with his finger, and it set off a burst of negative energy that ripped through everyone in the area. Valanthe joined them and disabled the devices – they seemed to be some kind of reservoir of negative energy that could be discharged to damage enemies and heal the undead.

A few hours later, many of the scouts sent out hadn’t returned. Scorch tried to scry them and determine their fate. Some of them he found, their bodies drained by stirges. Others were turned into zombies and marched on some unknown road. Others were missing, the crystal ball only showing an empty spot of road.

For my part, I stood on the parapets, scanning the countryside. Watching and waiting.

A beam of sunlight broke the clouds and cast its light on the Temple of Pelor. By the time Dravot got there, Zera was coming out of the door with Cresent helping her walk. She was in great pain, and said it was the transformation – sometimes it was easier than others.

Zera had been spending time in Brindinford of late, and had gone with Dravot to Ruun Khazai before the attack - Dravot wanted to work on un-doing the curse that she and her brother Zara suffered from. Now she had arrived back in Brindinford, and we were glad for the help.

Scorch had meant to investigate the curse more thoroughly but other things kept popping up. With her in front of him he was reminded, and got a sudden idea. He tried to scry Zara. If Zera was here, where was her brother now? The answer was more surprising than we could have imagined.

Scorch quickly focused in on a dark void of a plane. He saw Zara, held in bands of mithril. Nearby were some thirty other people, similarly held. Scorch believed this was a demi-plane that someone had created. As we scanned the scene through the ball, I suddenly hissed. One of the figures was the black archer that had almost killed Aran’gel. We now knew that it wasn’t actually Ravenna, but there was no doubt in my mind that this was the evil look-alike. Valanthe saw something even more surprising.

It was Rackhir.

He was bound as the others were, his bow clutched in his hand. We just stared at each other, not understanding what we were seeing. I had always thought, or perhaps hoped, that Rackhir was somewhere in the outer planes, free but unable to return. But this raised more questions. Who held these people here? Was it just a dumping ground, or someone’s private prison, and if so, who’s?

During our scrying, we were suddenly scried back. It seemed someone was unhappy with our snooping. Scorch tried to scry back to whomever was watching us, but the attempt failed. The scrier broke the contact, having seen what they needed I suppose. Scorch let his crystal go dark.

We could spare no more time to puzzle it out however and returned to our tasks. Valanthe scouted the area around the town, and found some very odd landmines that would burst acid on whoever set them off. Bolo conjured up some earth elementals to disable them easily enough, but it was strange they were there at all. This only further strengthened my idea that Kargoth was trying to take the town. I was unsure if he had been attacking in order to overwhelm the town, or to draw us out. It seems more and more that he had not anticipated our presence here.

Some hours passed, and we each got what rest and sleep we could. Times like this make me cherish being an elf. Eight hours after the first attack, it began. We were in various areas of the town when it started. I heard a rustling in the trees, like the wind going through them, but there was no wind, nor movement in the leaves. Valanthe made out the sound of lots of little splishes in the water, coming up the river. We moved to the north gate to look closer.

Coming up the river was a squad of troglodytes. They were running on the surface of the river, barely touching it. They were running in two ranks of twenty like a well disciplined force, and each had a spear. From the same area, a gulthite broke through the forest coming towards the town. I hadn’t seen one of the massive tree golems before but the party had fought one in this area once – their foliage formed a protective screen making it harder to damage them, and you had to break through it before you could start brining down the tree itself. Where a treant was a strong, gentle spirit of nature, this was a misshapen horror of twisted roots and crooked branches.

Then we heard screaming to the east - the east gate was being assaulted as well.

Scorch began heading this way – I would need his help to deal with these things. If the gulthite was as sturdy as they said, it would take quite a bit of firepower to get through to it. Even worse, a second one came crashing through the treeline. Not to mention the troglodytes. I didn’t waste time waiting for the troglodytes, and fired a hail of arrows at them. Seven trogs fell dead, and two more were barely standing. The flame on the arrows was extinguished as it hit each target though, and I began to wonder if these weren’t part water-elemental.

Scorch quickly arrived and so I decided to focus on the gulthites, knowing the troglodytes were as good as dead. I took aim and started launching arrows at the massive tree. It was over three hundred feet away but closing fast on the town walls. I was hoping to soften him up and destroy his protection so we could destroy him, but I was in for a pleasant surprise.

Over the months since I became a Champion, I’ve learned how to put more and more arcane energy into every shaft, and now my arrows were infused with as much spellcraft as the most potent weapons. As the arrows arced towards the gulthite, the heads glowed like golden stars and the flaming shafts made it look like comets streaking across the dark sky towards the twisted tree. They tore through the twigs and leaves that surrounded the tree, and landed solidly in the trunk, and it screeched in pain.

Scorch didn’t even waste time smirking but moved to the troglodytes who had moved up the river near the wall. He floated overhead and struck them with a swirling mass of ice and frost. The cone of cold brought the squad to a halt, and for a split second, they stood on the now frozen river, like a sculpture of ice before falling over and shattering into thousands of pieces. Their spears squealed and shattered with them, and Scorch concluded that they must be more twig blights disguised as spears.

We were now under attack at the east and south gates as well as the north. Over the scale I called to Scorch “My arrows are going right through their leaf shields.”

“Interesting” he replied. “Are you ok here?”

“I can handle these two. I think they’re going to need your help with the other fronts.” Scorch nodded and moved off to aid the rest of the group while I held this line, after lobbing a fireball at the damaged tree for good measure.

I shot arrow after arrow into the advancing tree. Each time it screeched and ran harder to get to me, but it was hopeless. My worry wasn’t this tree – I was sure it would fall long before reaching the wall. My worry was the second one. It would be closer before I could start firing on it (as I was busy destroying the first one) and so I’d have to work fast. The first gulthite finally collapsed into a mass of branches and vines and began decomposing almost instantly. I wasted no time firing on the second monster and soon it was limping and howling as I fired on its knees and hips.

As it closed, I’m sure it thought “If I can just get to the wall, I’ll destroy you.” Personally I was thinking “If you get close, you’re really going to feel some pain.”

The gulthite slugged across the river and just reached the wall. It was limping badly and bleeding sap from many wounds. The archers on the wall from the town guard had also opened fire and just as the gulthite reached the wall, it could go no further, and collapsed at the base of the wall, vainly clutching at me as it fell. And none too soon, as there was no shortage of trouble at the other gates.

While I was on the wall, there was even more frenzied fighting elsewhere. Throughout the town, some of the townsfolk suddenly looked ill as if they were a corpse that had been left in the water. Spikes projected suddenly out of their throats and hands, and they started seeping a pus-like fluid. They began lashing out at other townsfolk. One man was fleeing and a spike shot out of one of the afflicted people and through the fleeing man’s neck. Dravot struck at a nearby one and fluid gushed out of the wound.

Dravot, Thorkeld, and Aethramyr, all near the middle of town, could feel a tremor as something underground tunneled beneath them. It hadn’t surfaced yet, but it surely would soon. Nearby at the east gate, Valanthe could sense something in the area. It was the size of a cart and while it was invisible, Valanthe could tell it was near. Large burned areas appeared on the ground and buildings suddenly developed holes as they were eaten through by acid. Aethramyr threw a dispel magic and Sehanine’s champion got just the right spell, revealing for a moment a glowing reddish cube of some fluid. But the cube was soon consumed in an inky darkness which expanded outward making it still hard to find. Thorkeld fired an arrow into the blackness but it seemed ineffective. Dravot made sure to have a daylight spell running to combat the darkness. The living saint shone in the night like a beacon, rallying the town guard to his aid.

The bloated bodies moved towards Dravot, who invoked a flame strike upon some of them. He was saddened to do that to his own people but he did not think they could be saved. As the flesh was burned away, a small pink colored thing the size of a heart sprung from the chest of one of the victims. It used stringy tentacles to try to spring to another corpse, but the flames struck it down before it could reach it. When the refugees were brought into town, they were checked for the taint of evil or undead, but not everyone could be checked, and some of them must have been infected before the first attack.

The burrowing grew louder and three bulettes burst up onto the streets. They were larger and more vicious than the usual variety, and they oozed acid from the joints of their armor plates. Aethramyr, Thorkeld and Dravot were now caught between the bulettes towards the center of town and the acidic cube near the gate. Dravot, who had been scanning for undead, suddenly sensed the taint strongly. Thorkeld kept firing at the cube as he pulled back toward the others, trying to rally the defending guardsmen and prevent a rout.

The holy men regrouped and refocused their efforts. The guardsmen were told to hold off the afflicted townsfolk while the other threats were dealt with. Dravot brought a flame strike down on a bulette and burned it badly. Some of the flames gushed into the tunnel it just emerged from, and there were hideous screams from within. Something more was down there. Creatures began skittering out like insects, but they were humanoid with pale white-green skin. Dravot believed they were wights that had been tainted by acid.

The cube continued to burn through anything in its path. Bolo had been flying first towards the north gate but then to the east where more help was needed, and had just arrived at the battle. He moved to engage the cube while the forces on the ground held off the bulettes, and let loose a sunbeam at the center of the darkness where the cube was. Scorch flew in having come from the south gate, and attempted to dominate a bulette. It failed but he was determined to get one out of the fight, and a hold monster did the job well.

The town guard and Thorkeld fought a fierce battle with the townsfolk and the beasts controlling them. At least they were not as overmatched as they would have been against the bulette, and they were making progress. Dravot brought Pelor’s Destruction on the third bulette and it was blasted to dust. Then he turned the wights, most of the ones that had emerged from the hole were destroyed in Pelor’s light. However more quickly scrambled out to replace them, and from the other two tunnels as well, until a small army of wights stood in town.

Aethramyr had moved to engage one of the bulettes and the blows they traded rang out against each other’s armored shells. Aethramyr moved deftly and the bulette had a time even laying a claw on the paladin, whereas Shatterspike bit hungrily through the shell of the bulette. Aethramyr had dealt several fierce blows and the bulette was near death. Thorkeld brought his hammer down and the last bulette collapsed into a heap.

And none too soon, since the acidic cube had closed on them. It swung a long pod at Dravot but fortunately Dravot was able to avoid it.

Screams were coming from the southeast, and Valanthe thought there was another cube in the southeast section of town but was busy with problems where she was. The cubes were a serious threat but more force was coming to bear against them. Bolo fired another sunbeam, and Scorch fired a blast to finish it off.

The wights were something Dravot knew how to deal with. He took to the air over the tunnels, and glowing with Pelor’s own light, blasted the wights. They hissed and screamed as their undead flesh burned away. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough to kill them, but they were all badly hurt. The wights swarmed Aethramyr riding Crescent, and he tore apart several of them in clean strokes. Then Dravot descended amidst the slavering wights, and let off another burst that blasted them all to dust.

And while all this took place, the battle raged on yet another front. Valanthe moved to check the south gate, and found more problems there. A second wave of troglodytes was approaching, and something more sinister. Two beasts, born of shadow, with writhing tentacles coming from an amorphous mass of blackness. They floated off the ground lifted by two tiny wings. One of them belched out a cone of black gas at a group of soldiers who collapsed instantly. The other one grew diffuse and suddenly other shadowy forms sprouted from it. It was surely just a mirror image spell, but it was terrifying to the guardsmen watching.

The troglodytes seemed to be giving the shadow beasts a wide berth, not wishing to be killed by the indiscriminate monsters. One lashed out a tentacle at a guardsman and ripped him in two but also killed the troglodyte who was in the way. Valanthe was ready for something like this however and pulled a scroll from an ebony case, and read the words that were scrawled in gold on the blackened parchment. The shadow creatures suddenly stopped, stunned and cut off from the shadow plane and many of their powers. Valanthe said the shadowblast would leave them stunned for some minutes while we dealt with the other fights. The perfect move at the perfect time. Scorch arrived from the north gate, and dealt with the second wave of troglodytes in much the same manner as he had the first. Unfortunately the cone of cold washed over the shadow beasts without effect. Scorch moved off to help Aethramyr and Dravot, but Valanthe heard screaming coming from the east. She moved to find the threat and saw more burned holes in buildings and half dissolved people and sensed another invisible thing in the area. Somehow the thing sensed her, and it swiped at her with a pseudopod, burning her with acid, but also enveloping her and sucking her into the cube. She quickly decided that she had no wish to be eaten by this creature, and shadow jumped out. I had finished with the gulthites by this time and had flown across town and came over a building to see the invisible cube. I had one more reason to be glad I could see invisible things, and fired at the cube once. I was hoping to glitterdust it next shot so everyone could see it. Bolo was closing on the cube also but couldn’t see it. Scorch came in and with luck and a guess, managed to dispel the invisibility. The cube was not pleased and tried to envelop Scorch but found nothing more than one of his mirror images. Bolo, Scorch, and I all let loose into the cube, and it lost cohesion and dissolved away.

We quickly moved back to the disabled shadow creatures but they were gone. There was no way they could have left on their own power, and Scorch believes they were gated out by someone.

The second battle of the day was over, and we were victorious.

[OOC: Wow. What a battle. Took almost the entire night. We were attacked almost simultaneously on three fronts – north, east, and south. We came out of it with very little damage also, mostly due to some luck and some solid tactics. The single biggest tide-turner was surely Valanthe’s use of the shadowblast scrolls he had – neutralizing that threat let us cope with the battles we already had running. For the sake of clarity I’ll detail the attacking forces:

North Gate
Two Gulthites (big ol tree golem thingies with a stoneskin-like ablative armor)
40 half-water-elemental troglodytes with twig blight spears

East Gate
Two improved-invisible, displaced, spell immunity-d, flying, unholy aura-d, fifteen-foot-reaching, acidic gelatinous cube thingies that envenlop people. One with a darkness on contingency through some unknown means

South Gate
Two amorphic beasts from the plane of shadow
40 half-water-elemental troglodytes with twig blight spears

Tunneled into town
Three acidic bigger-than-usual bulettes
About 30 acidic wights

Around town
Some number of townsfolk, taken over by these icky things. Apparently they’re called Gut puppets. (Sounds like a grunge band.)

This will make most of the party 18th level.]

And then there were three...

Valanthe finds a secluded rooftop near the Southern gate, and focuses her mind, calling Verilunda to her. As if she already knows Val's mind, she says that there are others who would be glad to aid her, if she summons them forth, but only someone with Val's talents has the power to breach the gap between
the world of Shadow and this one. Verilunda watches as she focuses on the crystal, and waits to see the results. Val doesn't have to wait long. There is a sudden rush of energy, and a sound something like a hurricane blasted through a straw, followed by an almost comical 'pop'.

"It's about ferking time, woman!", comes the gruff male voice. Val looks up to see a stout, thick even, dwarf composed of shadow. She notes how his shadow form appears different from Verilunda's, until she notices that Verilunda has changed, too. Both of them look more like black etchings than shadows, more like people than pure blackness, though they fade into darkness as before. "I been waitin' a month, easy, for you to get your sauce boilin'. Hell, mebbe I can help ya out some."

The dwarf is heavy where Verilunda is light, and rough where she is soft. He sniffs the air, as if trying to find something. Where Verilunda still appears to wear the combat leathers she wore in life, this fellow instead is dressed in what look like miner's clothes. He has a mutton-chops, thick beard and moustache, all the more noticable for the lack of hair on his head. His face has an amused expression on it, despite his abrasive tone.

The now more identifiable Verilunda cocks an eyebrow, "Great. A dwarf. Do you have a name, or are we supposed to guess?"

"Heh. Didn't I mention? Guess not! It's Berllden Kimberlite, atcher service. Former servant what's to known as the ol' Deep Home herself, and up until a month ago, in direct service the Diamond prince himself. And a damn fine fella he were, too, 'til that shadowy bastard up and took 'im."

"Yah, well, I didn't mean fer you to take it that way. No need to get all prickly-like, miss! I just meant I bin waitin fer a while, what that you would give a call, is all. Been hanging 'round elves too much, you ask me. Getting all polite and fancy-talking."

"Excuse me, but I'm right over here, you know," says Verilunda. "I CAN hear
you."

"Oh, aye. What's yer point, 'xactly?", says Berllden.

"Never mind," sighs Verilunda.

"Anywho, you were asking about the Dimaond Prince, eh? Right fine fellow, if a bit...well, hard, so to speak. Kinda like his namesake, if you take my meaning, ma'am. Still and all, a good sort. Dedicated-like, you know? But, you were askin' about wha' happened to him."

"Well, see, we was leading an expedition out of Sceadutine, right? Figured it was a good time, what with the Shadow King pissing his forces to the Prime like beer on Firemeet right? Well, Prince Diamond, he figures we can take back the Chalice, which is his ole' castle, 'xcepting we didn't, as I'll bet you can guess. The castle were almost empty... but not all the ways. There were some kinda shadow still there, made Xorns shat diamonds, if you know what I mean. Woulda killed us all, xcept when he realized he had the Prince right there, so he took him and left us fer dead, sure enough. I think he knew him, cause they was talking in some language I didn't know, but they were both right pissed off, and sure about it."

"Not much more to tell than that. We gathered everyone up what wasn't dead, and skeedadled on out of there, back to Sceadutine. Then what I felt the call coming, and so I been waiting."

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
The Green and the Black Chapter 3

The Shadow of Winter - Chapter 3

OOC Notes:
Exp is 2000 this week. Expect negative numbers next week.

Side note: There was a small map-reading error. Ruun-Khazai is located on hex X5.

This Week’s Adventure:

The attack may have been repelled, but the price still had to be paid. The eastern gate was completely destroyed, and dozens of townsfolk were dead. About two dozen gut puppet parasites were killed, along with their hosts, and then of course there were the casualties they caused. And like the last time, we moved to assess the situation.

Bolo backtracked the Gulthites. Between tracking the large trees and questioning the local plants, he found the scene of a massive blood sacrifice, where many people were killed. Bolo was horrified by this, and rightly so, but we told him that the creation of all the gulthias horrors involves some amount of blood.

The nearby grove to Sehanine that Aethramyr had set up almost a year ago had also been razed. It had been done recently, perhaps a week ago, but it was probably not as much damage as they might have liked. The goal seemed to be to remove it as a potential point of defense. Aethramyr invoked Sehanine’s power and was startled to find thousands of small seed-like creatures blasted and burned suddenly by a cold moonfire. With their death, the taint of evil was lifted from the grove, and the healing could begin. It would have to wait however.

Rather than send out more troops to scout and have them killed, Valanthe and I took that task. Both of us could move without a trace through the area, and with the help of her two shadow friends (somewhere along the line it seems she has acquired another shadow like Verilunda) we spread out in four directions to find what we could. I soon found a staging area near the pumphouse. No attempt was made to conceal it, and there were tattered clothes and lots of freshly spilled blood. It was well out of direct visual sight of the city but still close. In the opposite direction, Valanthe found the bodies of several villagers. They had been harvested – split like fish and their organs removed. The area was unnaturally chilled.

And as each of us slipped unseen through the woods, the winds began to blow.

The second attack was more disturbing than the first in some ways. It represented a great deal of power, but also a great deal of determination on the part of the attacker. Whatever their reason, they wanted to take Brindinford badly. And while we held them back twice now, siege warfare is not our strongest suit. We cannot remain here defending the town forever – we would need to find a way to stop the attacks. After examining our options, Dravot concluded that our best move would be to find their next attack while they were still preparing it, and attack while they were setting up. Of course the question was still “how”. During this conversation, the topic of the dragons came up, and the lack of contact from the Silverring. Some of the group felt that we’d been cut off and hung out to dry – feelings I shared. The total lack of contact during recent events was more than just annoying, what with an ancient evil artifact in our custody. I echoed Valanthe’s feeling that we’d been abandoned and need to just deal with things ourselves for now and to hell with what the dragons wanted.

Aethramyr however decided to try another tack. Since we suspected the Silverring was sleeping, he attempted to walk through the dream worlds and find the slumbering dragon as he dreamt. He soon came upon a great silver dragon, embracing the sky in his full form. He was even more majestic than he had been described and was probably more in his full flourish than his actual current form.

And as Aethramyr slipped into a controlled sleep, the winds howled.

The Silverring told Aethramyr that the binder was actually placed in Brindinford for a reason – it was put on the top of a prison to contain . . . something. Kargoth may be trying to free it. It may be that Chavram has been collecting binders to slow his progress in this. The prisoners are ancient, fantastically dangerous beings, that took many elder dragons to imprison many years ago. One of these Primals is caged at the bottom of the catacombs. He indicated we should check that the seal is still intact, but under no circumstances break the seal.

Aethramyr asked about the woman of stone he had seen in his visions. The Silverring called her The Great Dreamer. She is the head of the Guild of Sleep on the Lendore Isles. It seems we need to pay her a visit soon.

Then there was the matter of Venn and the theerpart. The Silverring suggested that a major temple of Pelor might be able to sustain and keep him, and there was one fairly safe on the Lendore Isles. (Our road seems clear now, if we survive the night.) However that is all the Silverring can do – he still sleeps, and cannot control how long his torpor will last. Our best hope for aid may be the Brazen and some of his allies. The Cupric was supposed to aid us, and the Silverring seemed disturbed that we had heard nothing from any of the other dragons. (I feel glad I was not there to share in this, otherwise I might have had a harsh word or two for my part on this.)

Aethramyr brought himself into the waking world, and as he did, the snow began to fall. The world turned dark as the snow went from flurry to blizzard in a matter of minutes. But the snow was not white – it was as black as sable. Soon, the black snow covered the town, piling up against buildings driven by the harsh winds.

The snow seemed to be tainted with shadow, and it had a tiny touch of evil in every flake that fell. Bolo was horrifed as the town was covered in blackness. He tried to take control of the weather himself, but he was unable to overcome the dark power that drove this storm. But he was able to commune with nature and knew that a powerful evil force was some two miles to the east of town.

This must be the preparation for another attack. And now we knew where the attacker was. But we were paralyzed. The winds were fierce – you couldn’t even walk around outdoors. And if you were to fly, you would be buffeted about.

The problem took us nearly an hour to find a way around. And in that time, a foot of black snow had falled on Brindinford. We were tempted to hole up and wait, but we wanted to strike while we thought we were unexpected. Bolo took the shape of a massive elk, and we hooked a sleigh to him. Meanwhile Crescent and Thorkeld’s celestial lion, due to their size, were able to move through the winds. So with some of us on the mounts and others in the sleigh, we set off to find the enemy.

Visibility was nearly nothing, and Aethramyr could not sense any evil due to the tainted snow obscuring everything. I tried my best but could see nothing beyond ten paces away. Fortunately Bolo had a general sense of where the enemy was, and it turned out to be enough for them to find us.

Covered in the back of the sleigh, I could barely make out the howling over the blasting wind. But then I heard it again. Wolves of some kind. Close. Bolo picked up their scent just as they closed in. There were four of them, more like a winter wolf than a normal animal. It almost seemed they spoke to each other as they looked at us with white, lidless eyes. Their teeth were like small daggers of ice and they were intent on wetting them with our blood.

One charged the sleigh and bit down hard, and inky blackness spread out over everything. I simply waited – Dravot would deal with this quickly enough, and a moment later the blackness faded out as the words of Dravot’s spell cut across the wind.

The wolves were not much of a threat it turned out. We disposed of them fairly quickly and without major injury. Scorch finally was able to dominate something and had full control of one of the wolves. It was intelligent and spoke the common tongue. And it told us much of its former master.

The wolves were sent to soften us up, and to make it appear that their master was weak when in fact he is waiting for us. The wolves were expected to die. It knew the name of our enemy – GlaceRage. Dravot knew the name – it was one of Kargoth’s lieutenants. He barely managed to recall seeing the name in one of the older texts on the undead. The book called him a “winter wight” but Dravot could recall no more information about the creature.

We resumed our push through the black snow, lead by the wolf. As we got closer, the winds eased slightly, and we could see a bit farther. We were close now, and began casting spells to prepare.

Soon we would face the most evil and powerful thing we have fought in our lives.

[It was getting late-ish and the battle would be a big one, so we stopped here for this session. Next time, we roll initiative and enter our first epic-level encounter. In case you’re wondering, no we are not epic level yet. The party is 18th level. I don’t think our chances look good for surviving this.]

WizarDru

Adventurer
Fear not! Zad just sent an e-mail with some questions about one of the custom magic items during our session. That's usually a sign that he's working on the write-up as we speak.

To whet your appetite, here's the object in question:

Greater Ring Gates of Orcus

These always come in pairs-two iron rings, each about 56 inches in diameter. The rings must be within 1000 miles of each other to function. Whatever is put through one ring comes out the other, and up to 250 pounds of living material can be transferred each day or up to 2500 pounds of unliving material (Objects only partially pushed through do not count.) For the purposes of this device, an undead creature is considered unliving material. This useful device allows for instantaneous transport of items, messages, and even attacks. A character can reach through to grab things near the other ring, or even stab a weapon through if so desired. Alternatively, a character could stick his head through to look around. A spellcaster could even cast a spell through a ring gate. A Small character can make an Escape Artist check (DC 13) to slip through. Creatures of Tiny, Diminutive, or Fine size can pass through easily. Each ring has a “entry side” and an “exit side,” both marked with appropriate symbols.

Caster Level: 20th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, gate; Market Price: 80,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb. each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads