Zad

First Post
Flight of Arrows - Chapter 4

Flight of Arrows - Chapter 4: When goblins come a’callin

OOC Notes:

Experience this session is 1200.

This Week’s Adventure:

While we spent little time in Grehawk, we
did have a short meeting with Lord Gelban. He was very pleased with the work we did in Ahlyssa. He also made us aware of some other recent developments.

There have been no communications intercepted from the Scarlet Brotherhood of late. This in itself is rather suspicious. There is some word of a schism within the Brotherhood ranks, between forces of the Vermilion Queen, the original leader, and someone only called “The Red Lord” who has been leading some kind of dissent. I suspect the Red Lord is the one we have seen in various visions melting metal in his hands. [OOC Note: and whom we internally refer to as “Mister Heat Miser”.]

We set sail for Radagast City the next day. We hug the southern coast for safety and the trip is quiet. Aran’gel and I spent time in more serious study during this week.

We enter through the docks unchallenged. Aran’gel is clearly somewhat ill at ease here, and suggests we leave quickly. Taking this suggestion to heart, we immediately head out of the city and turn northward.

After two days ride, we see a large pile of bones ahead. We were still some 200 yards away when we first sighted it. We could then make out that there were several piles of bones some feet apart from each other. We approached closer and could see at least six small piles of bones around the large one. Nearby was also a large rock with some leather cords around it, and some planking nearby. We cautiously approached but detected no evil, no undead, and no magic.

This was the scene of a battle between a giant and some small humanoids. The bleached bones indicate it was some time ago. The rock was probably a part of the giant’s hammer. This meant that we were in territory where we might find both giants and whatever these small humanoids were. We continued onward.

Two days later, as we rode towards Shand, we saw The Crags. As we’ve approached the hills have flattened out but we are noting rock outcroppings. Just before noon we saw the large wall of craggy rocks rising up at least seventy feat and dominating the landscape for several miles in each direction. We would have to cross through these rocks to continue onward, and they looked far too friendly to an ambush. We could easily see three crevasses entering The Crags, and we simply chose one and entered.

At one point we saw a strange shape clinking to the canyon wall. It was made of mud and waddling and seemed to have been stuck to the side of the canyon high up. We believed it to be some kind of nest, and rather than risk the wrath of whatever lived there, we moved on without investigating.

We crossed the area slowly mindful of threats. The canyons crossed back and forth some but we were making progress through the area. We had just come into a slightly wider area in the crevasse when the tense calm was shattered by an explosion.

Nest. Must have been a nest. We should be so lucky. In fact it seems it was some kind of explosive alchemical concoction placed on the wall so that when detonated, the canyon wall would collapse and block escape. I assume that was the purpose since that’s exactly what it did. Behind us was now a forty foot pile of rock blocking our retreat.

Of course, the explosion was not the only surprise waiting for us. One thing we did know for sure now – the small humanoids were goblins. Meepo was so deafened by the explosion he spent the next several seconds calling to his master and wondering why he couldn’t hear himself.

Above on the tops of the canyon walls, goblins threw off their camoflauge. About twenty of them were up there with crossbows.

At the far end of the ravine, rank after rank of goblin wolf riders waited in formation. And ranks of footmen after them.

This was clearly a large, well armed and well prepared force. I wish I could say the same about us.

Before they could charge, I pulled out a scroll. Web would be just the thing in the narrower part of the canyon where the riders waited, and could change the odds dramatically in our favor. I let the spell fly, but to no effect – it seems the goblins had sorcerers and one of them counterspelled my best hope.

Then all hell broke loose.

The goblin sorcerers cast expiditious retreat on the wolf riders. The archers above began shooting bolts loaded with alchemist’s fire down at us. Fortunately their accuracy was horrible but they did manage to shoot up Rackhir’s horse, and the burning fire on the ground hampered our already limited mobility.

Before the troops could charge us, though, Scorch spat a curse, and with it, a fireball. The wolf riders were injured and the sorcerers and goblins for several ranks were simply killed outright in the flames. To their credit the goblins did not break and run immediately.

The wolf riders charged in on us, surrounding our column on the sides. I was at the head of the column and was not attacked immediately however. Thorkeld engaged them while Dravot called down Pelor’s blessings yet again on us, this time in a stronger version than we were used to. Another line of goblins moved up, carrying bags on the ends of sticks. I had the sinking feeling they were tanglefoot bags that they planned to lob at us, which would not do well for our situation. Rackhir managed to jump clear of his horse before it fell bleeding on the canyon floor. Jozan waded into the wolf riders, killing two in a single swing.

And then, some of the archers threw down large globes into the canyon between us and the far exit – globes with fuses. That were burning. Quickly.

[OOC Note: That’s the end of round 1. Gah.]

I began firing into the mass of goblins – I was concerned about being swarmed. Three arrows killed three goblins rather easily. Rackhir also began shooting, taking out the wolves the goblins were riding. Some more alchemist’s fire came down from above, but I have no idea if it was aimed at me so poor was the shot. The wolf riders attempted to swarm Thorkeld behind me and Jozan was hit by a lucky shot from one of the archers above. Scorch grabbed on to Valanthe and disappeared to the top of the canyon. While having the perch to work from would certainly help, and while having Valanthe to eliminate those archers was also of benefit, I found myself sorely wishing for another fireball. Dravot placed a briarweb spell on the top of the cliff on the side opposite Scorch. As soon as the goblins squirmed the sharp thorns bled them out and they died, eliminating more of the harassing fire from above.

Aran’gel enchanted an arrow with simple sleep spell and eight or so fell unconscious. This eased up the pressure he and I were under and let us fire unfettered. At the back I could see a large goblin charging into the fray – we assumed he was their leader as the nearby goblins began whooping and yelling “RETNUG” as he closed in. The sappers with the tanglefoot bags loosed their payload but were unable to get close enough to any of the horses to completely mire them in glue although several of our mounts were hampered somewhat.

The archers above switched from alchemist’s fire to a new trick – thunderstones. The loud noise was quite sufficient to deafen me after so many went off and many of my companions were in the same state.

And then the globes exploded, spewing massive amounts of smoke around them. The smoke was many feet deep and cut across almost the entire battleground.

[OOC Note: Round 2 ends]

Rackhir killed another wolf while I killed more goblins. Dravot threw a fire shield on himself and went into the fray. Thorkeld was slowly beating down the riders attacking him. Up top, Scorch fired a lightning bolt that not only killed most of the archers on that side of the canyon, but also hit the crates carrying all their special ammunition. The explosion of all the thunderstones going off echoed through the canyon, but I was already so deafened as to pay no notice. Aran’gel slew another rider.

And the goblins began to see the better part of valor, and began running. Even Retnug decided it was time to withdraw and charged back through the smoke. [OOC Note: Actually Retnug was in the smoke when it went off, and got turned around and lost and came out the far side, and by then it was time to start running. End of round 4. Things were starting to move faster without 60+ goblins on the board.]

I did not like the notion of being plagued by goblins our every step, so I spurred my horse and charged through the smoke to run him down. I emerged on the far side and spotted him to my left and turned and fired at him. It was an impulsive move, but I hoped that my fellows would come to my aid before too long. The shot landed firmly and Retnug was not pleased. While I was looking for Retnug, I spotted goblins on the top of the canyon pushing large cauldrons – boiling oil surely.

Behind me, Dravot killed another rider. Scorch also saw the goblins with the oil and a magic missile killed two of the three pushing the cauldron on his side of the ravine.

Retnug gathered up some courage and attacked me with one of his troops. He sent the soldier to the far side and attacked me. He managed to land a hard blow and I became worried for my safety. [OOC Note: little bugger had rogue levels and with the flank/sneak attack, that hurt.]

Jozan slaughtered three of the sappers in their ranks after which the rest broke and ran. Meepo finally recovered his wits and fell upon one of the hated goblins and killed it. All the remaining goblins except the wolf riders broke and ran. [End of round 5]

I could hear more howling as Rackhir and Thorkeld both killed more wolves. I did not appreciate being flanked by these goblins but there was an easy enough answer for it. I urged my horse back slightly and fired a shot that killed the cowering soldier aiding his leader. Having solved that problem I put two more arrows into Retnug who howled in pain. Eyeing his situation, he began running far too fast to have not been enchanted. Fortunately he was not faster than my arrows, and two more in his back were enough to bring his broken body sliding to a halt among the rocks. A sorcerer was also fleeing to the warrens and I slew him as well.

[At this point we’re cleaning up opportunity targets where we could – the fight was pretty much over.]

In the end, a quick count showed that while we had been attacked by a hundred or more goblins, at least eighty or so lay dead before us.

The few goblins that managed to flee headed for their warrens. A ways ahead we could see three small tunnels entering the cliffside. The tunnels were only four feet high so we were not inclined to follow the goblins into their lair, although we may have to change our minds on this. We also debated trying to pour the boiling oil into the warrens but he geography would not make that workable.

In the general area we saw several large boulders that were too round to be natural. There were also blood stains on some of them. They were apparently made by giants and hurled at the goblins here, so perhaps their war is not so old. Since their war still seemed to be current, we took the head of Retnug with us, in case we could use it to show good faith. (An enemy of my enemy and all that.)

We rode on, anxious to put some distance between us and the goblins. My mind nagged at me – there was only one way to deal with such creatures and that was to hunt down ever last one. If you didn’t, they would always come back to plague you again. However we had used some of our best spells, and we didn’t have an army, just the few of us. But if we must return this way, are we doing ourselves any favor by not pressing the advantage we have?

Two hours north of the goblins, we found signs of yet another battle between the giants and the goblins. Many dead goblins lie about, and there were signs of some massive bloodloss from some creature. I surmise that in this case, the giant was heavily wounded but lived long enough to defeat the goblins and leave the area. In the ground we found two spears, each skewering the severed paw of some large animal with raking claws.

General note to readers: Most of us have vacations and things in August so you won't see much for a while. We might squeeze in one more game before then but August is going to be a wash pretty much.

Zad

First Post
Current stat blocks

And to go with the pictures, the first of the stat blocks. I'll add the rest when I get them.

These blocks are current as of now (i.e. end of chapter 4 of Flight of Arrows). The commentary is a mix of what the player supplied and some of my own comments.

In no particular order:

These stat blocks were posted to the story hour, compiled at the end of chapter 4.

Rackhir the Red Archer

Male Human Bar 1/Ftr 6/OBI 1; HD 8D10+24; HP 74; Init +3 (+3 Dex); Speed 80 Ft; AC 17 (+3 dex, +4 Armor); Attack Mighty (+3) Composite Long Bow MW +15/+10, D8+3 (+1 Hit/+4 Dam '30), or Dwarven War Ax +13/+8 D10+6 SV Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +4; Al CN; Str 17, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12;

Languages Spoken : Common, Dwarf, Goblin

Skills: Bluff +5, Craft (Bowmaking) +15, Craft (Weaponsmith) +5, Gather Information +2, Heal +1, Hide +6, Intimidate +3, Intuit Direction +2, Jump +33, Move Silently +10, Ride +6, Spot +3.

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run, Weapon Focus (Comp Long Bow), Weapon Specialization (Comp Long Bow), Dodge, Mobility.

Special Abilities : Rage, +10 ft Movement, Close Combat Shot (does not evoke AoO when firing a bow in Close Combat).

Magic Items : Boots of Striding and Springing, Quiver of Ehlona, Bracers of Archery, +2 Dwarven War Axe

Personal Information:
Not much is known about Rackhir's history. He has never talked about it, though it has recently emerged that he was previously married to a woman he calls Ravenna who has reappeared as a Servant of Iuz. He has claimed that he killed her the last time he saw her and he has expressed great bitterness and hatred toward her.

Generally, he comes across as brooding, quiet and withdrawn. Frequently described as having "Dead Eyes", he pays little attention to anything other than combat, which is the only time he seems truly alive. He occasionally gets into raging arguments with Jozan the Paladin, usually over one of Jozan's many decree's.

In combat:
Rackhir is a deadly archer but is nearly as effective in close combat with a melee weapon, and will switch to hand-to-hand as needed. As a new OOBI, there may be less need for this in the future.

Dravot d'Chandagnac
Male Human Clr 7/Shadowed of Pelor 1; medium sized humanoid (human); HD 8d8 + 24; hp 76; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 20 (+1 Dex, +7 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 ioun stone); Attack Sun hammer +9/+4; Dmg Sun hammer d4+1; SV Fort +9, Ref +3, Will +13; AL LG; Str 12, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 18.

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Old Aerdi

Skills and Feats: Concentration +9, Diplomacy +9, Gather Information +11, Healing +12, Knowledge (Arcana) +3, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Knowledge (Undead) +10, Move Silently +1, Ride +2, Scry +2, Spellcraft +3, Swim –5, Profession (Law) +5

Iron Will, Extra Turning, Weapon Focus (heavy mace), Leadership

Special Abilities and Qualities: Sun Domain, Healing Domain, Detect Undead at will

Magic Items:
Sun Hammer (?), +1 called banded mail, dusty rose ioun stone, wand of cure moderate wounds, scrolls: lesser restoration, command, cure light wounds, slow poison, magic stone.

[Shadowed of Pelor is a custom prestige class for this campaign, similar to a hunter of the dead.]

Personal Information:
Dravot is the fourth son of the House d'Chandagnac, a noble house in the kingdom of Ahlyssa that rules the area of Brindenford. As the fourth son, he entered the Church of Pelor, partially due to the inspiration of Bellamy, a priest of Pelor and friend of the family. The second son, Roget, was killed in an accident fifteen years prior. Dravot’s services were offered to Lord Gelban in an arrangement with the Church of Pelor.

Of course a great deal of Dravot’s family history came to light in “A Family Affair”. As a result of that episode, Dravot still bears a mark on his arm that has something to do with the animus process. As a pious man this troubles him greatly.

Dravot is generally a calm mix of a pious man and a noble son and seeks to carry Pelor’s will forward but does not force the light upon those who are not yet ready to follow.

In combat:
Dravot is the backbone of the group due to his support spells and healing. While not excelling in damage delivery, his spells are often able to provide significant support to the group and radically alter the outcome of a battle. He has taken to a daily casting of Greater Magic Weapon on arrows for the archers. Against undead, the strength and number of his turnings make him the group’s most deadly weapon.

Valanthe the Sleepless (Valanthe ?)
Female Human Rog 6/ShadowDancer 3; medium sized human; HD 6d6 + 3d8 + 27; hp 68; Init +4 (+4 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 18 (+4 Dex, +5 Armor); Attack +1 rapier +10/+5, +1 dagger of venom +10/+5; Damage +1 rapier 1d6+4, +1 dagger of venom 1d4+4; SV Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +4; AL CG; Str 16, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 9.

Languages Spoken: Common, Elven, Gnome, Halfling

Skills and Feats: Appraise +5, Balance +11, Bluff +9, Climb +8, Decipher Script +7, Disable Device +10, Escape Artist +10, Hide +15 (+25), Jump +10, Knowledge Arcana +4, Listen +11, Move Silently +15 (+25), Open Lock +12, Perform +4, Pick Pocket +9, Read Lips +5, Search +14, Sense Motive +6, Spot +14, Tumble +16, Use Magic Device +1, Use Rope +6.

Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack

Special Abilities and Qualities: Sneak Attack +3d6, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Defensive Roll, Summon Shadow, Darkvision, Shadow Illusion

Magic Items:
Rapier +1, Dagger of Venom +1, Boots of Spider Climb, Ring of Jumping, Studded Leather of Shadows and Silence (+10 to Hide, +10 to Move Silent), Ring of Shield (can’t use it yet)

Personal Information:
Valanthe was an orphan in Dyvers and was raised by Mother Gota who ran an orphanage. She had a distaste for conventional apprenticeship or other more legitimate forms of employment and had a talent for acquiring what she needed in other ways. She frequently donated these ill-gotten gains back to the orphanage or other charities once her own needs were taken care of. She was also influenced by Ardestor a cleric of Trithereon, who was responsible for getting her into the orphanage.

Valanthe had chosen to steal a shipment of wares from the merchant quarter that turned out to be a gift for the Duke of Ernst from Lord Gelban. The crime was traced back to her but instead of punishment, Lord Gelban made an offer to her, and she has been in his employ since then.

Valanthe has given up most of her less sociable habits and tries to generally focus her attentions on her foes, rather than seeking to pinch an extra copper from her fellow adventurers. Given the wealth the group received in recent missions, she has little need to steal, save for the thrill or practice of it.

In combat:
Valanthe will examine the situation and attempt to reach the far corners of the battlefield for tactical advantage and create sneak attack opportunities. Her habit of watching the “big picture” has paid off on several occasions.

Kayleigh

Female Elf Ftr 4/Sor 4/Arcane Archer 1; medium sized humanoid (high elf); HD 4d10 + 4d4 + 1d8 + 18; hp 63; Init +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Speed 30 ft; AC 20 (+6 Dex, +4 Armor); Attack +1 flaming longbow +14/+10 (+1 inside 30 feet), full attack +14/+14/+10 (+1 inside 30 feet); Dmg +1 flaming longbow 1d8 +1d6 flame +2 (Crit x3), (+3 inside 30 feet); SV Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +6; AL CG; Str 14, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14.

Languages Spoken: Common, Elven, Draconic, Sylvan, Orc

Skills and Feats: Climb +6, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +5, Hide +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +5, Move Silently +11, Perform (harp) +3, Ride +11, Spellcraft +14, Spot +13, Craft (Bowmaking) +17

Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow), Weapon Specialization (longbow), Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, Improved Initiative

Special Abilities and Qualities: Elven racial qualities, Familiar (Rasha, male cat), Enchant Arrow (+1), Generally keeps cat’s grace cast on self

Spells Known: Level 0 – Dancing lights, Light, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic. Level 1 – Shield, Charm Person, Silent Image. Level 2 – Cat’s Grace

Magic Items:
+1 Flaming Longbow, Quiver of Ehlonna, Wand of Magic Missiles (3rd level caster, 31 charges) 2 potions of cure light wounds (level 5), potion of cure serious wounds, potion of blur, 10 sleep arrows, Gauntlets of arrow snaring.

Personal Information:
Kayleigh is the eldest of two daughters of a minor noble and Knight of Luna in Celune. She was only 82 when the Hateful Wars erupted and she (and many of her fellow elves) took up the bow to defend the elven nation even though she was not yet of age for such things. While she was not deep in the thick of the war, she did see enough of it to color her attitudes towards the evil races and orcs in particular.

Her father is at odds with Celune’s isolationist policies. When a recent political storm erupted, he requested she depart for a time to let things settle out. He hoped this would also relieve some of the restlessness he had observed in her recently. He arranged for her to work with Lord Gelban in Greyhawk on unknown terms.

Since that time she has learned of the Council of Dragons and many other things. She has performed well and gained confidence, though still occasionally feels swept up in affairs that are beyond her. With the help of the dragons, she has learned to control her latent magical abilities and she has recently discovered her true nature – one of the Elven Champions, (Arcane Archers among the humans). Kayleigh is generally determined and tactical thinker when there is a purpose, but tries to be equally relaxed and uncaring when there is no immediate objective.

In combat:
Kayleigh is a long range fighter – she will stay out of the fray and fire at appropriate targets. She will frequently lead the initiative due to her high dex and newly acquired improved initiative feat, and will select targets carefully. She is a tactical thinker during combat.

Scorch

Male Human Wizard 9; HD 9D4+27; HP 50; Init +3 (+3 Dex); Speed 30 Ft; AC 18
(+3 dex, +5 Mage Armor and Ring of Prot +1);
+7 Fort, +7 Ref, +8 Will (Bracers of Protection); Str 10, Dex 17, Con 17,
Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 8; Alignment Chaotic Neutral

Languages Spoken : Common, Abyssal, Draconic, Elven, Ignan

Skills: Alchemy +17, Appraise +11, Concentration +15, Heal +4, Hide +4,
Knowledge Arcana +17, Scribe +3, Scrye +6, Search +11, Sense Motive +2,
Spellcraft +17, Spot +4

Feats: Spell Focus (Enchantment & Evocation), Spell Penetration, Cooperative
Spell, Craft Wondrous Item, Extend Spell

Special Abilities : Scribe Scroll,

Magic Items : Bracers of Protection (+1 on saving throws), Ring of Zagif the
Mad, Ring of Wizardry I, Boccob's Blessed book, Miscellaneous Potions and
Scrolls, the Magic Egg (purposed known only to Scorch)

Personal Information:
Scorch is a mixed bag when it comes to his past. On one hand he never mentions his real name and where he is from but on the other hand he loves to complain about how he was the unwanted son of a minor noble and how he was shunted off to the Mage Academy.

Scorch has a misanthropic streak and is very hard to get along with. He constantly mutters about how the incompetence of those around him and his catch phrase "Feh!" can be heard in reaction to almost any situation. He has a preference for casting fire spells, especially fireball, but does not allow himself to be locked into that for his choice of spells.

It is probably a good thing that he has been forced into a situation where he has to work with others since if he did not have someone to complain to he would probably turn into one of those reclusive wizards who experiments on the living.

In combat:
Well, he's the wizard. In the early levels he only had a spell or two, but used them with devastating effect. He's in the full flourish of his power now, and can radically alter the situation on the field, given the right opportunity.

Jozan Mornlight

Male Elven Pal 9 (Sehanine Moonbow); HP 84 ; AC 18 (MW Chain Shirt, +1 Shield, +1 Ring) ; Attack: Shatterspike, Longsword: +15/+10 Dam 1d8+6; Shatterspike, Greatsword +15/+10 Dam 2d6+6 SV: +12 fort, +7 ref, +9 will
STR 18 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 15 Cha 18

Languages: Common, Elven, Faerie

Skills(total skill mod): Climb +4, Diplomacy +7, Handle Animal+9, Heal +6, Knowledge (religion) +4, Listen +5, Ride +8, Spot +6, Wilderness Lore +3

Feats: Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Cleave, Sunder.

Special Abilities : Detect Evil, Lay on Hands, Divine Health, Aura of Courage, Smite Evil, Turn undead.

Magic Items : Cloak of Elvenkind, Boots of Elvenkind, +1 ring of Prot, +1 Shield, Shatterspike.

His village ruthlessly destroyed while he was still a baby, Jozan was raised in a monastery devoted to Pelor. Although diligent in his studies, the spark of devotion to a human god was never quite in Jozan, and when he
became of age, he left for Greyhawk. As a final gift from the monastery, he was given a letter of recommendation from the elder, and with it managed to join Greyhawk's militia, Starting as a Squire. He was assigned to an Elven
Company in the service of Gelban, And It was while in the Field Fighting the Hateful wars near his home village he had a vision.

The village Jozan came from was dedicated to Sehanine Moonbow, and She asked Jozan to become her Champion. "Your lessons in the human monastery will be important", She said. "Elven religious teachings are less...rigorous. What the monks and mlerics Taught you about faith gives you the opportunity to become something very vare for our kind: an Elven Paladin" The spark of devotion ignited at last for him, he devoted his time to his martial studies and learning his newly restored faith.

Jozan comes across as a very peaceful elf. Perhaps a bit more serious then most elves, but still less so than human clerics and paladins. Tolerant, and perhaps forgiving to a fault, Jozan has acquired the kobold Meepo as a squire by rescuing him from his fellow creatures after losing the Dragon he was in charge of. Sehanine Moonbow has provided a mount for Jozan as well: Crescent, a large dire wolf.

Jozan's weapon, Shatter Spike, Is one of 12 great elven blades. In Jozan hands, it is Currently a +2 longsword that can become a +2 greatsword, has a Bane: Evil Outsiders, And can be Infused at the cost of one of Jozan's
turning abilities to give a bonus to attack and Damage.

In Combat:
Jozan is the main tank for the group. The only tank really. This was a lot more tense when we were lower level but isn't as bad now.

NPC's leading off with everyone's favorite...

Meepo

Male Kobold Ftr 2/Rog 1; small sized humanoid (kobold); HD 2d10 + 1d6 + 3; hp 22; Init +3 (+3 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 17 (+3 Dex, +3 Armor, +1 size, +1 natural armor); Attack Short Sword +4; Damage short sword 1d6; SV Fort +4, Ref +5, Will 0; AL NG; Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Languages Spoken: Common, Kobold

Skills and Feats: Disguise +2, Hide +15, Move Silently +9.

Blind fight, Run, Weapon focus: short sword

Special Abilities and Qualities: Sneak Attack +1d6, darkvision 60’, Light sensitive

Magic Items:
None.

Personal Information:
Meepo is a kobold who was the caretaker of a infant white dragon. The dragon was stolen by the goblins. A group of adventurers came looking for the fruit, and agreed to help Meepo. When they found the dragon, it almost killed Meepo but Jozan saved Meepo’s life. Meepo now serves Jozan as faithful squire.

Meepo not like elf lady because she was mean to Meepo, but she not mean like she used to be. Meepo is scared of red man and wizard man. Meepo like sneaky lady.

Meepo always speaks of Meepo in the third person.

In combat:
Meepo usually would prefer to cower or run but has overcome these instincts. He will not engage in front line combat but he will take a swing if opportunity presents itself. He has also taken occasionally heroic steps, such as saving Scorch from rampaging wolves.

Aran’gel Brightflame

Male Elven Ftr 6/Wiz 4/Arcane Archer 3; medium sized humanoid (high elf); HD 6d10 + 4d4 + 3d8 + 13; hp 78; Init +5 (+5 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 19 (+5 Dex, +4 Armor); Attack Longbow +18/+13/+8; Damage Longbow 1d8 + 3; SV Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +7; AL LG; Str 14, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Languages Spoken: Common, Elven

Skills and Feats: (not fully determined).

Alertness, Point blank shot, Precise shot, Rapid shot, Spell Focus (enchantment), Weapon focus (longbow), Empower spell, Enlarge spell, Weapon Specialization (longbow)

Special Abilities and Qualities: Familiar (hawk), enchant arrow +2, imbue arrow

Magic Items:
None presently

Personal Information:
Aran’gel Brightflame is cousin to Melf Brightflame and a Prince of Celene. However he does not reveal this information to those around him. He is currently the Warden of Highfolk.

He first encountered the party during their trip to the Glitterhame, and was asked to particularly observe Kayleigh. He determined that she did possess the spark of an Elven Champion (Arcane Archer) and placed a spell on her to monitor her progress.

He did not see the party again for some time. A group of barbarians led by a female archer (Ravenna, Rackhir’s ex-wife) attacked a village and he pursued her forces with his. During the battle, Ravenna brought in demonic aid and most of Aran’gel’s men were killed. He was captured and forced to watch as she tortured and killed his men. She cut off his hand, drained his soul, and wounded his familiar.

Aran’gel used the spell he had placed on Kayleigh to contact her and show her what was happening, hoping for aid. Kayleigh extracted him from that situation and saw to his recovery. One of the dragons gifted him with a metal hand, which while it does is a solid metal hand and does not bend, does stick to things magically allowing him to manipulate objects.

Aran’gel is awash in a number of feelings, including a desire for vengance, a deep sadness at what has happened to him, and an attraction towards Kayleigh. These feelings have caused him to behave differently from his usual self.

Thorkeld

Male Human Pal 6; medium sized humanoid (human); HD 6d10 + 6; hp 45; Init +5 (+1 Dex, +4 improved initiative); Speed 20 ft; AC 21 (+1 Dex, +7 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 ioun stone); Attack Nightbane (warhammer) +11/+6; Dmg Nightbane d8+1; SV Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +7; AL LG; Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16.

Languages Spoken: Common

Skills and Feats: Balance –1, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +5, Jump –2, Knowledge (religion) +2, Ride +4

Improved initiative, Power attack, Weapon focus: Warhammer, Quick draw

Special Abilities and Qualities: Paladin’s Mount

Magic Items:
Nightbane, +1 called banded mail, dusty rose ioun stone, wand of cure moderate wounds, scrolls: lesser restoration, command, cure light wounds, slow poison, magic stone.

[Thorkeld is Dravot’s cohort]

Personal Information:
Thorkeld, known at home as “The Lion of Brindenford” is something of a local hero. He is the House Champion of the d'Chandagnac family.

Zad

First Post
Chapter 5 – From bad to worse

OOC Notes:

Experience was 2000 each. 1125 for combat and 825 for “speed improvements” which was rounded up to an even 2000. We were definitely proceeding more briskly.

Due to vacations, the soonest possible next game is around August 24th or so.

This Week’s Adventure

While we had weathered the goblin storm fairly well, we were cautious as we pushed into these dangerous lands. We decided it might be better to rest a bit before proceeding. We located a spot along the crag wall that was somewhat hidden and at least gave us solid rock to our backs, and set up camp. I’m not sure if the goblins were scared to pursue or were unable to find us, but the night passed quietly, save for Aran’gel’s fitful rest.

After emerging from the crags, the terrain turned to low rolling hills. Aran’gel indicated we were doing well and should simply proceed north until we find the ruined town.

Crescent can tell that a force of humans and humanoids has passed this way recently and we all could see various signs confirming it.

After an hour we spot something ahead. Some three miles away is some kind of ruined stone structure. Aran’gel said that should be the garrison station for Shand and the town itself should be nearby.

As we got closer we could begin to see the ruins of the town. We also notice a great deal of thick grass near the garrison itself. However the grass was not high enough to hide the presence of bears. Large bears. Huge bears. Gigantic bears-should-not-ever-be-that-big bears. Fortunately the bears do not seem to be aware of us yet, or if they were they had little interest.

Or perhaps not. When we were five hundred feet away, the bears roared and charged.

Aran’gel and I simply exchanged looks from horseback and shrugged and opened fire, as did Rackhir. The bears continued to charge after several arrows landed in them (a fine shot from that range I might add) but continued to charge. This seemed rather odd. However their pained howls awoke something else.

“Who dares disturb Thrag, Lord of Crag?!?” a deep voice boomed across the area. Behind the ruined stone wall of the garrison, a giant slowly stood up and scratched his belly. Upon seeing us, he looked down and kicked something, saying "WAKE UP you lazy fool!”

The bears continued to charge in and we continued to fire. [OOC Note: I fired three shots, and rolled a 2, a 3 and a 3. Feh.] Jozan and Thorkeld simply waited for the bears to close, watching the withering fire from the archers. Meanwhile Thrag was rummaging around in a large sack, apparently gathering boulders.

And still the bears came. Of the two, we had concentrated our fire on one bear. That bear was badly hurt but still coming. Rackhir said he would finish it and I turned my fire to the next one. And Rackhir fired again, and the bear finally collapsed in the field, still short of its prey. The bears were close enough now though that the melee fighters closed and engaged it.

Aran’gel did not like the looks of the boulders – of course none of us much cared for the notion. Aran’gel however had a idea. He threw a spell on an arrow, and then, with what I swear was a smirk, let it fly. It landed in the garrison station and it was promptly enveloped in fog. The giants could hardly see themselves, let alone us. Thrag bellowed “Smells like YOUR cooking!” and cursed the fog.

As the second bear was being dealt with, we could hear in the distance >thump< “Owwww” as the giants, clearly none too bright, tried to maneuver out of the stone walls. Aran’gel’s trick to delay the giants was working perfectly leaving us free to deal with the bear before engaging them.

Thrag emerged from the fog. Throg, however was still lost and running into walls. If Thrag was Lord of Crag, then surely Throg was Lord of Fog. Thrag had a boulder in each hand which he was hefting to get the weight of it.

Thrag was still over a thousand feet away and while I wasn’t sure if he could be a threat at that range, I was fairly sure I could not so I took off at a gallop towards him, with Aran’gel close behind me. Meanwhile the remaining bear was badly hurt. Jozan took pity on it. It had clearly been trained by the giants and was somewhat a victim here. He managed to scare off the bear, who was badly hurt and was glad to simply retreat. Aran’gel let fly with another arrow, which exploded in a cloud of golden dust, but Thrag did not seem to be affected.

Thrag threw both his boulders at me, fortunately missing but leaving rather impressive marks in the dirt. My horse was not thrilled at the idea of these large rocks hurtling by but stayed calm for the moment and I returned fire.

Thrag had come away from the garrison, but was now starting to come under fire, and he was out of rocks. He moved back towards the fort to where Throg had finally emerged from the fog carrying the sack.

I had lost track of Scorch but he had apparently not been idle – he had used one of his new tricks to change into a small dragon, flying quick above the scene. He let loose with a fireball into the giants, and then withdrew, figuring we could handle them from there. Not only were the giants burned but the sack was in flames, and it’s contents destroyed.

Freed from the bear, most everyone began riding across the field to engage the giants. Throg grabbed a rock and threw it at Jozan. Even though it just hit his shield, the blow was jarring. Dravot was now close enough and called on the blazing light of Pelor, which dropped Thrag in his tracks.

Throg saw Thrag go down and was uncertain. We briefly discussed letting him live, but the fewer beasts alive to chase us meant a greater chance for our survival. Three of my arrows were joined by two of Rackhir’s in Throg, and he fell to the ground beside Thrag.

A quick search revealed nothing of value beyond a small pile of gold coins – perhaps it was in the sack that Scorch had charred to a crisp, or perhaps they had nothing at all. [OOC: 250gp] While we examined the garrison, Valanthe scouted out the ruins of the town. On her return she reported rust monsters hiding in the buildings out of the sunlight, and a fair number of bodies from a recent battle.

We moved into the town and examined the scene. Fortunately the rust monsters were sated on the remains of the battle and had little interest in accosting us. There were some barbarian corpes, some orcish, some human, and some in brown robes. One in particular had a claw for a hand and his skin was a purplish color. Some were staked down with large spears. We also found the remains of what was surely a bebbilith.

And there were elves.

We came to the conclusion that this was a fight between forces from Iuz, and those of Venca. Aran’gel’s remaining men, who were supposed to meet us here, were caught in the middle and all killed as well.

There were signs that the town had been occupied recently but it is generally in ruins. Shand had been destroyed some time in the near past. However it was clear that two sizable forces had engaged here and that one of them was the defender. There are about a dozen or so bodies of druids, but no two look the same – all had various deformities or alterations. They were all human, except for one orc. The Iuz side was a combined group of humans, barbarian warriors, and humanoids. Both suffered heavy losses but it seems that Iuz won and went off to the east. The bebbilith was killed by lightning, likely from the druids.

On one of Aran’gel’s men, we find a crudely drawn map, and a short log of the activities of the druids. The map indicates a grove to the east which would have been normal for an elven town. We headed in that direction.

Jozan noticed that there were no animals present. Neither alive nor dead. This put words to a disturbing disquiet, but we had no idea what to do about it or the present. There were plenty of trees and vegetation though. I stopped to examine a tree – it was quite real – a healthy rowan.

As we got closer, we began seeing more bodies – mostly orcs under Iuz’s banner from the Blinded Eye clan. Their throats and chests had been ripped open and their hearts had been removed. There was no blood around, and no sign of what killed them. Of course the absence of blood itself was a sure sign of some type of Gulthias horror, but never had we seen them using whole organs.

There is an occasional druid body as well, which has been . . . harvested in the same way. After a mile, the forest gave way to a sizable clearing, with the floor covered in brambles. Rising from the center is a crude earthen hill, likely manufactured, with a tunnel in one side.

At the edge of the grove, Jozan knelt to pray, and nearly immediately passed out. He came around quickly and told us of a vision of people moving into a large earthen room, and a large tree and a glowing man. The attackers were then consumed by plants, sometimes exploding from within their bodies.

The brambles were of course suspicious. But Dravot smelled the scent of undeath on the brambles. Fortunately the quickly withered under Pelor’s light and he cleared a wide path to the mound. [OOC Note: we have this habit. When we come across something weird like this, I go “I detect magic”, the paladin says “I detect evil” and the cleric says “I detect undead”. On this occasion, we were shocked to get an answer of “No no yes” Undead plants were the last thing we expected.]

The tunnel lead inward and sloped downward. After sixty feet it came to a small area with a door. The walls were all bare earth but the door was wooden. In the room was the body of a fallen druid, pinned to the floor with greenery and having several spikes through his chest.

This was most odd. Why would a druid be dead from the plants we assumed they were controlling?

The door was enchanted with a glyph of some sort, which Scorch dispelled.

As usual, Valanthe cracked the door and looked inside. The next room was a large chamber that was littered with bones. The stench of death flowed from the room as soon as the door was opened. Had there been more blood it could have been an abattoir. Piles of human and humanoid bones littered the floor and several more intact corpses as well. In the middle, an eight foot creature with purplish skin and a hollow ribcage stood. Inside it’s ribcage was a humanoid shape, thrashing in agony. It bent over one of the bodies and tore the soul out of it, and the shape inside its ribs twisted to match that which it just consumed.

Valanthe closed the door and we began casting spells in preparation. However the beast must have heard us and was waiting close to the door when Valanthe looked again. We decided without the element of surprise we would be taking a grave risk. So we withdrew. Dravot knew something of these beasts, and he said that it was created for a purpose and could likely not leave that area.

So we withdrew to the garrison and rested and prepared. And returned the next day. It was . . . well let us simply say that for the level of preparation that was indicated, the fight was something less than spectacular.

Jozan opened the door and entered, and I quickly followed and put my first arrow into the beast. Thorkeld moved in followed by Dravot who cast another Recitation. Aran’gel entered and fired.

The beast’s eyes glowed a sickly yellow and fired a beam at Jozan, but it had no effect. It then closed on Jozan, slamming into him. Rackhir entered and fired.

And then Jozan, Shatterspike glowing in his hands, sliced into the foul beast with the vengeance of the righteous.

And it died.

[OOC Note: Didn’t even go a full combat round – Valanthe never got to move. The thing up and died.]

Well, we were well aware that our spells would not last very long so we moved quickly and explored the next room. Inside a room were large troughs with more undead vines in them, and four bark blights at the far end. Two of them were killed before they could react, but the remaining two tunneled into the ground and disappeared. We quickly moved to the other door from the main room. While we were expecting more trouble, we were not ready for what we found.

The room was a large natural earthen chamber littered with vines that were constantly moving. A number of human corpses hung from the ceiling, their blood dripping onto the vines below. In the middle is an enormous growth – some kind of plant of a most unnatural origin. It almost seemed as if it had undergone a sudden growth spurt, an experiment out of control.

As we watched, the floor began to cloud with a white mist. While we watched in horror, the Gulthian spawn came out of their mist forms and became solid before us.

Zad

First Post
From Valanthe's Journal

From Val's Journal...

Me and my shadow…

We decided to withdraw from the tunnels and regroup at the run-down fortress where we had defeated Thrag and Throg. Better to take on the foul thing fully prepared, death is not a favorite of mine. While the rest of the group were making their preparations, I decided that it was about time I made mine.

I was feeling a little more confident with my shadow abilities, so I decided to try to summon my first shadow. ‘Definitely don’t need the rest of the group to see this yet, especially Dravot’ I thought so I disappeared out of site. Once I remembered what Little Shade had told me, I was ready. “You need to clear your mind and concentrate on the nothingness of shadow” she said, “and once you do, the right one will find you”.

I was a little nervous at first (dancing with the dead is not as familiar to me as some in the group would think – Dravot ;-). But after a few minutes I felt something and out of the shadows, a form took shape. “Greetings young Valanthe, I am Verilunda.”

‘Umm, Greetings..uh, Verilunda. How did you know my name?’, I snapped out. Not my best. She almost looked like a person, like a silhouette of an elf obscured through a poorly-made window. She was all out of focus. ‘How did you get here?’

“Your summons pulled me here. That vile thing had trapped us all, somehow, preventing our spirits from traveling free. But you have pulled me free, and for this you have my gratitude. I cannot say how I come to know your name, exactly. When I heard your summons, I just…seemed to know, somehow. It’s as if you told me many things about yourself, merely by calling.”

‘Oh.’ Well, that was helpful. ‘Wait a moment, what vile thing?” That CAN’T be good.

“The fell beast that you saw in the grove…it is a foul thing. They gave us to it, whether our bodies still lived or no. It…It…It feeds on the living or recently dead. It would have consumed me, given enough time. I do not know what becomes of one after that…thanks to you, I no longer need to worry of it.”

‘The grove?” I asked. Great. She was going to think I was an idiot at this rate. “Hold it. Were you one of the elves that…” I let the words drop as I figured it out. If she had seen the grove, and she had been recently slain near here, then she might have been…

“In life I was in service to Warden Aran’gel, whom you ride with. Under his command did we give chase to the northern marauders, even into the Shield Lands. When they fell upon us with their fiends, we broke and fled. To my shame, we were unable to save our fellows or our commander. Well that your friend Kayleigh came for him.”

‘But you found him later, right?’ Not that this story had a happy ending, but I was just trying to line things up. I do that a lot.

“Aye, true enough. He bid us search for others, until we told him what we’d found. He thought it best that the council hear of it. We feared losing the trail of our quarry, so agreed to meet him at the ruins of Shand in a couple of weeks. Would that we lived long enough to fulfill our duties. We hoped to capture a druid for questioning, when the whole of them attacked…but before long, Iuz’s monstrosities were upon us, and slaughtering everything. They killed some of them, but the druids weren’t ready, and they fell back. We lasted little against their like.”

Duties. What is it with everyone and all these duties? Why can’t they just go do what needs doing?

“I am sorry that you were caught in the battle that went before. But I am glad to at least be able to help you avoid an even worse fate. We are about to engage one of the groups responsible for the slaughter and I am humbly asking for your companionship in this venture. A small taste of vengance isn’t a bad thing either.” I felt it wise not to mention her to the group yet. I fear that Dravot and Jozan would unwisely spend their focus and energy on her instead of the real evil that awaited us. Secretly, I couldn’t wait to see the reaction from Dravot upon catching a glimse of her. The uptight, zealous ones always make the target for fun and for me, it’s like he has a big target on him…

Verilunda and I briefly discussed a strategy. She would avoid direct confrontation and help me harry the creature, hopefully giving the party a more advantageous strike in combat. Scorch and I also discussed some strategy. He would dimension door us in behind the creature (I had not discussed Verilunda with him yet). We went to the entrance to it’s lair and open the door… and found that it was waiting. Our fighters responded quickly and attacked as Scorch and myself blink into the room. Verilunda appeared too and moved in to flank. In a second we had the abomination surrounded and a moment later Jozan dealt a powerful blow and sent it back to wherever it came from. Dead, dead, dead.

After the fight, Dravot and Jozan immediately turned their attention to her. “In the name of Pelor I command you to return” started Dravot, but nothing happened. It was all I could do to keep from snickering. ‘Let the games begin,’ I thought.

In the corner where Scorch was, I could swear I heard “Feh”.

Zad

First Post
DM Observations

This was originally posted by Wizardru in the old thread.

-----------------------------------------

This no game for several weeks stuff is for the orcs. I'm going through withdrawl.

Analysis 1:

Let's start at the beginning, with an examination of the characters from the DM's perspective.

Kayleigh Drake: Kayleigh, played by Zad, is the main chronicler of our tales. We knew from almost the beginning that Kayleigh would be working towards Arcane Archer. Kayleigh has undergone a few changes, most notably the radical change from wizard to sorceror with no one actually noticing. I tossed that idea out to Zad, since it meshes better with the character concept. It's created a little continuity error, but nothing so dramatic that anyone really cares. Kayleigh's future is tied with her heritage as an Elven Champion, and the baggage that goes with it. She and Rackhir have more in common than choice of weapon.

Scorch: Scorch is a glorious bastard. In his quest for true Arcane Power, he's dragged kicking and screaming along the path of righteousness. Still and all, he may be a curmudgeon, he grudingly calls the rest of the party his friends, and recognizes the fact that they actually might watch his back...a rarity for someone in his position. The more frightening possibility is that Rackhir might be the Robilar to his Rary, but that's another story. Scorch is all about obtaining arcane power....true, unsullied power. To this end, he is veering from the pure path of Wizard into the Arcane Order from T&B (since there's virtually no reason NOT TO). Scorch's future will lead him into to a moral decision that will choose the path he walks forever more. And the Egg is the center of it all.

Rackhir: Rackhir's a bastard, too. He's just not glorious. An OMAC (that's One Man Army Corps, to you), Rackhir burns with hatred for Iuz and anyone stupid enough to cross his path. While Kayleigh opts for the versatility of an AA, Rackhir is unparalleled in his mastery of the bow as an Order of the Bow Initiate. Teemed with Scorch's Greater Magic Weapon preparations, Rackhir can make a pincushion out of virtually anything. And does. Rackhir has an ugly past, and dreams of walking into Dorakaa and adding one final skull to the road...that of the Old One himself. Rackhir's about to discover that there's more to his heritage than his late father ever told him, and his chance for vengenance is dependent on a people long thought dead.

Dravot d'Chandangac:Once merely a follower of the benevolent sun god, recent events have thrust Dravot into the darkness. Though still a member of the church of Pelor, Dravot has become one of Pelor's Shadowed. The tragedies suffered by his family have led Dravot to seek out the Undead wherever he may find them, and return them to wherever they came from. His grandfather and bastard brother are the focus of his waking moments, and the curse under which he lives has made him consider rash actions more than once. He seeks to find his missing brother and father, and either rescue them or see them interred in the family crypts...whichever is possible. His future sees him walking the line between darkness and light, and trying to find out what his grandfather truly intends, and stop him.

Valanthe: Known as the Sleepless, Valanthe is the party's free spirit. Not bound by arcane practices like Scorch or driven by hatred like Rackhir, Valanthe follows Tritherion's creed, often in her own unique way. The bridge between the ethical and pragmatic factions of the group, Valanthe follows her own internal moral compass, choosing what's right over what's lawful...hence her 'Robin Hood'-like activities. Valanthe can be rash, and this can often work against her...but her she also is blessed with uncanny luck that has seen her through some tight spots. Recently she discovered that she was one of the Shadowborn, those touched by Shadow...and her world hasn't been the same, since. Now allied with the Shadow, Verilunda, Valanthe may be the only hope for the liberation of those known as the DarkHeld, and the cruel force known as the Shadow King.

Jozan: With his faithful Dire Wolf Crescent at his side, the Paladin Jozan fears no evil. Unlike the others, Jozan stays true to his calling: a Paladin once, a Paladin always. Armed with the mighty Paladin's Blade, Shatterspike, Jozan can empathize with even the most evil of beings, seeing no one as beyond redemption. His empathy has save several enslaved animals from unnecessary death at the party's hands, and even a Blackguard is not above his mercy. Or his Justice. Jozan's fate will take him to a place where few tread, to speak with a force older than the Greyhawk itself.

And there you have it, a quick overview of the characters from a more impartial observer than Kayleigh.

Next post, the beginning of an adventure-by-adventure analysis of the game.

Zad

First Post
More from the DM

Comments for session one:

This was everyone's first 3rd Edition session...new players for me, in some cases, and the first real game session in months (having two kids, one of which is an infant, will do that to you). We created characters using the character generator that came with the PHB...hence, the party is moderately high in their stats. Not a crisis, but when the beta game came along, I used point buy. The first part of the session was given over to combat discussion, and an explanation of AoOs, which came directly from reading Eric Noah's article concerning same.

Through circumstances I’ll relate some other time, I’m currently in the employ of Lord Gelban, a powerful Lord in the free city of Greyhawk. Gelban retains many such adventurers to look after special interests of his, and more so in recent months.

A hook was needed to get the game rolling, without wasting time on the 'how did the party meet' rigarmorale. We were all eager to get into the thick of it, and so I informed the players they were all (for differing reasons) in the employ or service of Lord Gelban of Greyhawk. Most of the characters now have back stories and relations to Gelban, but no one did at this time. Heck, we weren't even sure if we would play more than once or twice, at first.

Some several months ago, Lord Gelban's 15 year old daughter Ariadne, began slowly falling prey to an illness. At first the effects were slight, but grew in time. She continues to worsen, and will die shortly if a cure cannot be found. Lord Gelban has brought in a variety of clerics, healers, sages and wizards to see to her health, but none have been able to even determine the nature of the illness, let alone provide a cure. Lord Gelban loves his daughter dearly and has become increasingly desperate as she has worsened. He has put his considerable resources to the task of finding a cure for her.

Bit of revision here from Zad's text: I had no name for Ariadne at the outset...in point of fact, it wasn't important, and no one even asked. She didn't get a name until our 8th session, I believe. Poor Kid. Further, note the reasoning added for why the party of 1st level heroes is sent off to help...mainly that this is a remote lead in Gelban's eyes, and he's desperate.

The group is sent by ship on the three day journey to the port city of Gradsul. The trip is uneventful, however it seems Scorch has little love of the sea. Or perhaps just a great love of leaning over the railing. Then again, Scorch has little love of anything so this can hardly be termed unusual. His constant cries of “Feh!” are amusing in their own way. He seems consumed by his arcane studies, and misses out on the simple wonder of a sunset.

Why did I put the SC in Keoland? Just seemed like a good place for it, honestly. No great scientific method...but it worked well there, and let me bring Drawmij in later.

Note the reference to Scorch's bad attitude. As originally envisioned, Scorch was a barely tolerated bastard hell-bent on collecting arcane power for it's own sake. It's irritating to no end for him to be constantly drawn to the side of light by the other party members. Except for Rackhir.

As I mentioned to the party members recently, I fear that Rackhir will be the Robilar to Scorch's Rary. Eek.

Horses and gear are waiting for us in Gradsul, and we set off immediately for Oakhurst. There should be little difficulty in locating the hamlet as it lies at the end of the "New Road". There is a New Road and an Old Road. The New Road it seems has been in use for some two or three centuries, whereas the Old Road likely pre-dates humankind. I find it unusual for humans to think of something a few centuries old as still being “New” but perhaps proximity to Celene has an effect.

DM Confession: all travel numbers here are complete and utter fabrications. We had no idea, and I just made it all up. I wanted Oakhurst remote, but not TOO remote. We still hadn't worked this travel stuff out, yet, and I was fudging it. And in all truthfulness, 'Sunless Citadel' plays it pretty fast and loose with this info, too.

We had an uneventful week's ride and became more familiar with each other. Aside from some incompatibility between Scorch's horse and his hindquarters, and the associated grumping, the ride is quiet and peaceful.

First rule of having me as a DM: get swimming and riding as skills. If you plan to travel at the same speed as the rest of the group, get the darn skill. Scorch rolled suck continually, until Jozan (I think) took the reigns, and used his animal handling skill to convince the horse to cut Scorch some slack.

An hour before reaching Oakhurst, we happen on an odd site. Five hundred yards off the road is clearly visible a stag. A large beast, it lies in the rye field unmoving. Closer examination reveals that it has been swarmed by some kind of small beast and drained of its blood. This is made more unusual by the absence of any tracks - in fact the area seems to have been swept to remove such tracks. As we examined the scene, they hear the sound of the wind rustling through the branches. This hardly seems unusual until they realize that there is no wind, and the nearest trees are quite a ways away. At this time, three small shapes seem to be quickly moving away through the rye. Rather than pursue, we chose to continue on their vital mission.

The twig blights make their first cameo. The players could have engaged them, but it would have been a bad idea in the field. They wisely inspect the area, take notes and pass on.

Oakhurst indeed seems to be everything our troop expected of it. Only about seven or eight buildings and a modest population of farmers and honest folk. We acquire lodgings and wash the dirt of the road from our boots, and our throats. Scorch concluded that the meal was "adequate." High praise indeed. A number of interesting rumors and local gossip are available in any tavern, and Oakhurst is no exception.

Everyone gives those new 3E skills a try, and everyone checks around. There was actually some really good role-playing here, particuarly with Kayleigh and the Hercrule matriarch that isn't really represented here, as we didn't take too many notes at this early stage.

We also learn that this year's fruit has not yet been sold, for no obvious reason. There are actually two fruits - the red fruit heals. The white fruit is sold in the winter on some years and seems to be as deadly as the red fruit is miraculous. One cannot help but wonder if the white fruit might be involved in the sickness of Lord Gelban's daughter but there is no evidence to support this. The summer fruit typically sells for 1000 gp. The deadly winter fruit sells for some other price, which one can assume is significantly higher with a vastly different clientele.

Essentially, in my version, the town sells the one fruit as an act of charity, and the other fruit as an act of commerce. One might argue they sell the summer fruit out of an act of a guilty conscience. My personal take is that Hercrule is anxious about the deal, but wants to benefit the town, and lets the deal happen, as regreatable as it may be.

Hercrule's twin children, along with a paladin and ranger they somehow recruited, were convinced they knew the whereabouts of the Sunless Citadel and went off to find it. They have not been heard from for the last week. The Citadel seems to be a local enigma filled with assorted horrors.

Ah, the poor children Hercrule. First in the serious of a long line of NPCs to get their name's bastardized, mocked or both. Particularly as the party had a hard time keeping them straight for some reason.

The fruit is not grown but is in fact purchased from the goblins. The goblins have shut off negotiations this year and have been unreceptive to parley. A week ago, the children of Hercrule went off to the Sunless Citadel, where the goblins are apparently dwelling, to attempt to force the issue. They have not returned.

Now, unlike some others, I never had a problem with the layout of the SC. There are way...dangerous ways, for the gobbies to get out. But the reason the fruit was withheld in my version is that Belak wants it that way. He has other plans for them, now.

(Other details of note are that while the town has tried to cultivate the fruit, all attempts have failed. The bushes are stolen when they reach a certain size. The Mayor blames the goblins for this but that may not be the case.

The players were suspicious of this from the start. They guessed at one idea, but reached the moving plant concept soon after.

The situation is clear - for us to succeed in their mission, we must follow the trail of Hercrule's children, find the goblins, and hopefully re-open negotiations. (Failing that they could forcefully acquire a fruit, but that will do the townsfolk little good.) In exchange for attempting this task, the town agrees that Lord Gelban may have his fruit if they succeed. Further, Hercrule will reward us for the return of her children's signet ring and definite knowledge of their fate.

As you'll note, I didn't like the fatalistic ending to the story of Hercrule's children and the Paladin, and rewrote the possible outcome. I think the players are more satisfied with the happier (marginally) ending they got, rather than the Nietschze ending Bruce Cordell gave us.

We found a ravine just before nightfall. Starting at a modest size, it soon fell away until it became bottomless. At one area was a number of ruined pillars. The pillars were covered with crude graffiti in what seemed to be dwarven characters, while the stonework of the pillars themselves had carvings in Draconic. #Grundel observed that the grafitti was not dwarven but goblin, to the effect of "Wretch was here" and so on. The number of spent campfires seemed to indicate that it was a frequent campsite of someone, and goblins seemed most likely. Further the area looked as though it had been brushed of tracks much like the area near the stag.
Tied to one of the pillars was a knotted rope. Nearby was a somewhat fresher campfire. We suspected we had found the campsite of the twins, and the rope seemed to be a clear indication of their direction. We made camp for the night, being sure to pull up the rope to avoid a nasty surprise.

Ignorant of the true threat, the party take reasonable precautions. Like any good group of adventurers, much fat was chewed over this topic. Most of the group are old-hands at D&D, so the topic of what to do was between Grognards, to be sure.

In the night, the group was attacked. Two small creatures, about the size of small dogs scuttled up in the darkness. They had the foul stench of evil and blood surrounded them. They could only be described as walking twigs, as though they were made of twigs but twisted to some foul purpose, with sharp claws and teeth of wood.

Poor little bastards. The only thing the poor twig blights ever did was inconvience the archers. Mind you, at 1st level, poison saves are scary...but these guys couldn't take the punishment from front-line fighters.

This ended the adventure for now. Next week, into the ravine, and certain doom.

Or, more appropriately, Certain RAT Doom. Never has Jozan come closer to death than the very first room of the Sunless Citadel.

Zad

First Post
From Rackhir

This was posted to the original thread by Rackhir

-------------------------------------------
Rackhir is not generally inclined to talk about himself much, but were he to do so, this is the story he might tell...
The Border Lord's Son

During the barbarian invasions that Iuz tricked the clans into mounting, warriors of the Wolf clan attacked the castle of a border lord. The fighting was terrible and lasted for many days. The barbarian's dead were heaped about the castle, but the defenders had nearly reached the limits of their strength and another days battle would see the barbarians swarming over the castle walls. That evening, in desperation the border lord led the remnants of his forces in a night time raid upon the barbarian's camp. Having feasted heavily to celebrate their imminent victory, they were drunken and unprepared for the attack. So fate favored the border lord and the barbarian's forces were shattered and broken. During the battle the border lord defeated in single combat the leader of the barbarians, a warrior maid.

Smitten by her ferocity and courage, he took her as his wife. After a few tempestuous years she bore him a son. However, she was too wild and free to suffer long the strictures of civilized lands and she left to return to her clan when the son was only a few years old. Eventually, the son grew into a strong young man, but the loss of his wife had sapped the border lord's will to live. So despite the pride he took in his son a sadness had settled in his heart and his life was always tinged with melancholia.

When the son was born, as was the custom, a local witch was asked to cast the auguries for the boy's fate. When she did however, she grew pale and silent. When pressed for an answer she would only reply "His Doom lies in the arrow's point". Ever afterwards she would refuse to either speak to or of the border lord's son and should even he come near her, she was known to weep openly. Disturbed by the prophecy, the border lord ordered his son trained in the ways of the bow as he grew. Though he showed much promise with the bow, he was too indisciplined to master it.

Instead, the son loved to roam the lands of his father, for they were green and fair. He did this often, as much of the wildness of his mother was in his soul. One day as the son rode the borders of the land hunting with his bow, he shot at a large black raven picking at the corpse of a child. Though his shot was true, the raven flew off at the last moment and his arrow only pierced it's wing. The next day as he rode past the same spot, he came upon a stunning dark haired woman. Struck by her beauty, he fell in love with her and brought her back to the castle to be his bride. The son's happiness with his new bride was tempered though, as on the night of their marriage, the border lord finally died.

From that day on a shadow grew over the lands where the son now ruled. What had once been green and fair, withered and began dying. Infatuated with his new wife, the son of the border lord paid little heed to the problems of the land. His happiness seemed complete when exactly one year after they first met, she bore him twin children, a son and a daughter. Much as he loved his wife, he doted upon the children even more, but even as the children grew, the land slowly died.

Finally, five turnings of the seasons after they first met, the son of the border lord was awakened from his sleep by the sounds of battle. His wife was gone from their bed and fear for her gripped his heart. Rather than lead the defense of the castle, he searched frantically for his wife and children. In truth though, it would have mattered little what he would have done, as the castle had clearly been betrayed. The main gates hung open and undefended as the servants of Iuz poured through like a black river. Before the sun had risen over the lands, the son of the border lord was captured and with the surviving retainers, brought before the new master of the castle. To his horror, sitting upon the castle's throne was his wife, the minions of Iuz, clearly her servants.

To each of them she offered a choice, pledge their lives and souls as servants Iuz or die screaming on the altar. The son of the border lord was the first to be put to the choice, but he spat upon her and her master. Her wrath at his refusal was frightening to behold, for she was not used to being denied anything.However she mastered her rage, saying that it was not yet his time and twice more would he be given the choice. Then they were taken away to be buried in the dungeons of the castle and forced to listen to the screams of those who refused. The son of the border lord was brought out to watch, as each made their choice and each time a little of his heart died. Either as the victim bled out their life's blood into that thirsty altar or betrayed him and chose to serve the Old One. Finally, there were none left save him.

The son of the border lord, still had some hope in his heart, for their children had not been numbered among those put to the choice. As he was dragged into the throne room for the last time, he beheld a sight that caused the last of his hope to wither, for their children were tied down upon the altar. His wife taunted him with his helplessness and her countenance was terrible to behold as she told him that of all sacrifices, one's own flesh and blood, especially that of the innocent, were the most pleasing to Iuz. Since the children were too young to make any true choice to serve one as Iuz, they had no other value to him, save perhaps as two more skulls to decorate the Road of Bone. He pleaded with her to spare them, but as he looked into her eyes he saw that they were devoid of any benevolence and the words became ashen upon his tongue at the hideous glee set upon her face when she brought the knife down upon the bound children.

As she ripped out the hearts of their children, his heart grew as cold as stone and mercy perished from him. Finally, she presented him with the choice for a second time, either chose to serve Iuz or join the corpses of their children on the altar. Enraged beyond measure, the son of the border lord once again laid curses upon her and her master's name.

However, there are limits to what can be expected even from those who have sworn themselves to Iuz. The sacrifice of her own children had horrified the old retainers, who had pledged themselves to Iuz when put to the choice and the defiance of the border lord's son had heartened many who had once been cowed. So they, now turned against their new master and battle once again raged through the great hall of the castle. The numbers were against them, but desperation drove them, for Iuz does not deal gently with those who betray him and they now bore his mark. Shamed filled others, so they no longer desired anything other than to sell their lives as dearly as possible.

All, but forgotten in the battle, border lord's son managed to free himself and wrenched his father's bow from the wall of the great hall. Taking her by surprise, three times he fired straight and true at his wife, but so great was his rage that the bow snapped as he drew it back for a fourth time. The border lord's son taunted her as she lay dying, spitting out blood along with her last breath, her eyes glazing over as life fled. Despite her death, he continued to mock her savagely and he soaked her body in oil as the last sounds of battle died away. The old retainers who had held true at last, were all slain and he paused for a moment staring at the tapestry of bodies that covered the floor of the great hall, a torch guttering in his hand.

The hall was rapidly filling with the surviving servants of Iuz, the eyes of the humanoids glowing red in the torchlit gloom. Once again he was presented with a choice, he could either choose life and revenge on her masters or destroy her body in flames and die at the hands of the assembled horde. Swearing dire oaths of revenge upon her and her masters, he fled the great hall, hunted and pursued through out the lands of his father. Luck favored him and he evaded all pursuit, eventually passing the bounds of his fathers lands.

As he did so the scales were lifted from his eyes and the full extent of his folly was made known to him. His empty heart filled with bitterness at the sight of the fair green lands of his youth, now gray and blasted.

Making his way south he hunted and slew the servants of Iuz as he had the chance. His hatred lead him to take risks however and once lead him into an ambush that he barely survived. He entered a camp belonging to those who still fought the Old One, covered in his own blood and thus acquired his war name of "The Red Archer". The ambush had been a very close thing and once again, only luck had enabled him to survive. It taught him caution and the necessity of allies.

So once again he turned south, for it is said all roads lead to Greyhawk and perhaps the road he must travel would too. He knew that to gain revenge on those responsible for the ruin visited upon his family and lands, would require far more power than he had now. So, it was upon the road to that power, which he now set himself. He bent himself to the study of the bow with a determination that would have frightened him in another, only months earlier. For when he was ready Iuz would pay, his lands would be laid waste, his minions slain and the skull of the Old One himself would be the capstone on the Road of Bone.

Thus ends the story of the border lord's son.

Zad

First Post
Flight of Arrows - Chapter 6

Flight of Arrows - Chapter 6: I get misty….

Note that this was when I was trying to add more detail to the story. Something I later decided just made for slow, dull reading.

OOC Notes:

Experience this week was 1829 – the DM was not in a “rounding” mood. 250 point bonus to those that were there on time.

Next game will be the weekend of September 14/15. Look for e-mails very soon from Wizardru about your rewards.

Notes for Next Time:

Think about how long you need before we leave. Dravot is going to be gearing up to face undead and that seems a wise precaution so consider your prep work. We’re not rushed.

This Week’s Adventure:

The six forms took shape out of the mist even as we were considering the danger before us. One glowed more brightly than the others and had a deathly aura about him. His voice rapsed out “The master has determined they all must die. Kill all. Kill all except. . . the archer. He can be harmed but he must not be killed.”

What plans for Aran’gel would Gulthais have? There was no time to ponder it as they attacked. It was clear to me that these misshapen figures were once part of Aran’gel’s men – elves all, but twisted and deformed by the foul tree. Some still bore the markings of his unit in their tattered clothes.

Reacting before any of them could, I fired a hurried arrow that went wide, and withdrew from the room. Surely Scorch would be of a mind to drop a fireball in this small space, attacking the beasts and the tree together, and I wanted to be well out of the way. One of the minions attempted to exert control over Valanthe’s mind but she shook it off. She was protected from evil in any case, and I was hoping that the beasts would not live long enough for it to help them if they did charm her. Thorkeld attempts to turn the undead monsters but his will was not strong enough to have any effect. Rackhir fired three shots doing severe damage to one of the minions. As it was hit it sprayed green ichor much like the other gulthias horrors we’ve encountered. The leader muttered and cocked his head at an improbable angle and released a cone of cold across several of the group doing considerable damage. One of the minions clawed at Jozan but missed while Jozan was more skilled and landed two solid blows. Valanthe took a swing at one of the roots of the tree, and it released ichor and a swirling black smoke and then she exited the small room also. One of the minions did not care for my attempt at a retreat and followed into the outer chamber, followed shortly by Aran’gel who dodged past it. Dravot had determined the area was desecrated and the undead would be stronger near the tree. But he still managed to call upon the light of Pelor and send three of the minions cowering into the corner. Scorch created a dimension door and removed both himself and Dravot from the tree’s room.

[OOC Note: Begin Round 2]

I shoot at my pursuer. Only two shots land – sloppy at such close range, but they found purchase. Thorkeld exited the room and Rackhir stepped into the doorway and shredded the one minion in the outer chamber. It sprayed everywhere and there was no way for Rackhir to avoid all the liquid. It immediately turned back into a mist and moved off towards the tree. Meanwhile in the room another minion got its claws into Jozan, and while only a minor wound, the negative energy that went with it chilled Jozan to his soul. The leader decided he also did not care for our withdrawal and teleported into our midst.

Dravot had the proper tools for dealing with such a beast and used them. The room darked slightly as he invoked Pelor’s word and a brilliant light appeared from behind him, leaving him merely a darkened shadow. The blast of light tore into the lead gulthian and burned him deeply.

Jozan took a return swing at the beast before him then also exited the room. Scorch released a volley of magic missiles at the leader adding further injury. Valanthe also closed and scored a good strike. Aran’gel, lacking a good field of fire, simply resorted to a magic missile himself.

[OOC Note: Begin Round 3]

I shot at the leader but he was quite agile and only one arrow struck true. Oddly, sometimes he also sprayed green ichor, and other times did not. Rackhir turned another minion into a fine mist. The leader let loose yet another spell – this time an ice storm. He was also within the area but seemed to have no interest in the hail pelting him, though it did him some harm. Jozan closed with him and struck with Shatterspike.

Scorch was not amused at the hailstorm assault and in retaliation, did what he does well and detonated a fireball in the midst of the tree. The room exploded in a conflagration and there was a deafening boom.

[OOC Note: At this point, the term “Gulthias the Flatulent” was coined.]

Dravot was quite injured and healed himself. Aran’gel used one of the spells he had shown me and fired a healing arrow into Dravot, further aiding him.

[OOC Note: Begin Round 4]

The destruction of the tree seemed to slow down the vampire and I was able to find solid purchase for two arrows and the damage was severe. Even though he was quickly healing the damage, our combined assault was having the desired effect and as my last shaft struck home, there was a cracking sound as if wood was splintering. His body began to petrify and he staggered backwards. His joints bent in ways that a mans cannot and his head snapped back and then completely off. He began screaming as his body broke into pieces “No Master, I promised I will not fail… I will…” and as his head hit the floor he was finally silent as he shattered into a thousand pieces of petrified wood. Hanging in the air where he stood was a small glowing object vaguely resembling a human heart made of wood – it was glowing purple and pulsed in a foul manner. It was surely the heart of the beast, and the seed for another tree.

After much debate about the seed, Dravot channeled energy into the heart. He was saying something about a stream of negative energy he could perceive feeding the heart. He felt another force channeling back at him and made out the image of another man standing before a black heart. But Dravot overcame the counterforce and severed the link of energy. The seed was still intact and fell to the floor however, and Jozan took Shatterspike to it to make an end of this horror. It released an acrid smell of sulfur and strawberries.

[OOC Note: This was a Gulthian tree, not a Guthias tree.]

At the opposite end of the room was a passage. It had been totally choked over with vines but the explosion of the fireball had burned it away and revealed the passage. In the room was a sight I would not soon be forgetting.

The simpler elements were various orc, ogre and goblin bodies with vines growing into them. It seemed to be some kind of food source for the tree but the vines had burned or withered. Some of the beasts were still barely alive when we found them. At points there were twisted aberrations of flowers blooming. No evil or undead was sensed in this room though surely evil had been done here.

However this was the least interesting part of the room. For set in the floor at certain intervals were large glowing crystals in some intricate pattern. Between them were lines of vines carved into the floor. The room consisted of three rings, each smaller in diameter but deeper into the floor and the ceiling mirrored the floor. At the base is a silver disk with carvings in ancient elven script. It seemed to be one large device of some kind. Magic flowed through the whole area. After some time we noticed that the crystals were moving slightly around the room. You did not so much see them move as you did noticed after a time that they had moved. There is also the sense that the place has been used recently.

Since the device seemed to be of elvish manufacture I was willing to take the risk and step into the circle that seemed to be the control point. Valanthe had somehow disarmed some kind of trap but there seemed to be no other defenses.

As I stood starting at the closest crystal, a map of Greyhawk formed and I could see shimmering points. When I focused on this, I could clearly see the map and the points marking locations. It didn’t take long to realize these were the same as the location of the binders we found in Chavram’s research. I focused on the shifting shapes in another crystal and a voice in my mind said “Specify”. I chose something benign to begin and said “Gelban.” The voice said “I do not know this one.” I then took what I felt was a major risk and spoke the name of Ali Bin Yala. The room filled with light and there was a huge image of Brindenford. But not as it is today. As it was many years ago – it was hardly recognizable except for the terrain features. I managed to zoom in on parts of the image – there were elves and some Sule. Many of them wore amulets on their neck with the symbol of an eye – the same symbol that the Silent Brother wore when he retrieved the fruit from us so long ago.

At this point I felt that I had pushed my luck as far as I cared to. I turned off the image with an act of will and left the circle.

At some point someone noted that Valanthe had disappeared from the chamber and then reappeared. Frankly I hardly saw this as noteworthy.

We had a long day, and we were concerned about what else might be lurking about. We withdrew to the barracks once again and rested without incident. During the night I spoke with Aran’gel. We had seen many strange turns here, and I was uncertain if he had found the redemption he sought. Certainly he had not had the satisfaction of driving a knife into Ravenna or rescuing the few men he had left behind and I was concerned that he would remain in a depression without some sense of closure.

Fortunately my fears were unfounded. Having now understood the full scope of the battle that was here, he knew there was no way he could have prevailed against such forces. Indeed, even speaking with Verulinda, he felt much better – she did not blame him for what had occurred and knew that no fault lie with him. (Verulinda is something I have not mentioned much – largely because I have no idea how to react to it. She is the shade of one of Aran’gel’s people and seems to be under Valanthe’s direction. But she seemed content to be in Valanthe’s service – the fate that awaited her was surely more gruesome.) But she has proven to the be redemption he sought, and his mood seems lighter now, and he is ready to move on. I even caught him smiling twice. I was tempted to point this out to him, but decided to just enjoy it for now, lest he feel the need to brood further.

In the morning Dravot prepared a sending, and sent a message to Lord Gelban: “Found room like crypt excavation ten crystals in 5 colors tied to planes. Room near town of Shand. Conserving spells. Please advise.” He replied with the following: “Investigate if prudent and safe. Have already sent help. Return when done getting information. Cupric advises you have found “Great Map”. Contact it if can.”

Clearly we had already made contact. The notion of the “Great Map” confirms that this was not a binder but some kind of index as Dravot had already suspected. We returned to the map to investigate further.

Scorch entered the circle and activated the map. He investigated some of the points in the barrier peaks. It seemed that the images presented were all dated to some extent. This one had some columns and four gigantic purple crystals around a central altar 30 feet high with stairs rising up to it. There were three concentric mithril rings rotating about and in the center was a humaniod shape that was more solid in the torso and more wispy in the legs. It was the same image Jozan and I saw in his vision but here it is in much better condition, leading us to believe we saw a more recent image in the vision.

Scorch asks if this is the past, and it is. It was made in the year 781 (holding to no standard we know) but it is currently around 2291 or 2371 by the device’s reckoning. The device seems to have a djinn imprisoned in it and is responsive to questions but seems to have a lot of attitude. It does not seem to care for Scorch as not one of the true users and will only provide limited functionality. It is the same for me. However it will do certain things and we now have a list of all the sites and the djinn that is tied to that particular binder. The Map being says that he holds the ransom – the lives of the nine. We ask what functions he will serve and he says he will give a vision of the locations of the hidden objects (both greater and minor), will give the names of the princes, and will grant access to other features to those of those of the blood, and will give the Great Tour to those of the blood.

[insert list when I get it]

Meanwhile when all this is happening, Rackhir has been having dizziness. Rackhir steps into the circle and is greeted warmly by the entity. It seems the Fruzti are of “the blood”. The being is now much more helpful. The other functions it will provide are to speak to the nine, if they are still connected. Apparently some of the sites have not been maintained and are therefore unreachable. The crystals are also planar gates and can be used to travel the planes. The great tour will grant access to the receptacles and perhaps can open a gateway to them. Again, there are the problems mentioned with the sites not being maintained. All the djinn were bound using one of the nine keys. He is the tenth and is ransom for all the other nine to maintain their safety to some degree. Each crystal is an analog for one of the princes.

Other questioning revealed the Shadow King appeared about 500 years ago. He knows the Shadow King has taken over the Spectrum Citadel at the heart of the plane of shadow. This coincided with the first of the binders going off line.

Contact was lost with Ali bin Yala hundreds of years ago but until recently the map could still monitor the gateway. But now the facility has been disrupted and the binder taken. His was the most powerful of the binders but even it has limits. Combined, multiple binders become exponentially more powerful.

When asked who has used the map recently, the being made it plain that Ravenna had been here, as well as Chavram some 75 years ago.

I was pondering if we could use the map to open a portal to somewhere nearer to Greyhawk, so that we would not have to travel through the Shield Lands again. There was a binder in Celene and that would be a safe point to journey from, and the thought of a visit home was very compelling. However there were two problems. First was that the binder in Celene had been turned off by those controlling it. (Rather unusual.) A portal could be opened but it would be somewhat a risk as to where we would appear (mid air perhaps). The other issue was that of Aran’gel. I was not sure how welcome he would be at home. While we were still investigating I took him aside and asked him how he would be received if we appeared in Celene. He did not seem to understand my question at first, but then it suddenly dawned on him that I had more knowledge of who he was than I had let on up til now. He muttered a bit of a curse at Hammer and said that while he would not be unwelcome, they would probably not want to let him leave. Weighing all this, Celene seemed an unsuitable choice.

While I pondered I went outside. One of the others had mentioned some storms to the south that smelled of a druidic nature. We were all becoming concerned that the druids would send reinforcements so I went to check. Outside I was surprised to find a great number of druids patiently waiting. Along with three copper dragons.

One of the druids indicated that they had cleaned up the gulthias horrors that had routed after we had destroyed the tree. They were the aid sent by Lord Gelban. They have concluded that this place must be defended and since it is in a forested area they were confident they could hold it unless Iuz turned his main army against it.

Given that they seemed to be well ready to defend the area, and that we had thoroughly investigated the Great Map we were unsure how to proceed. I asked the druid if he had instructions for us, and he seemed confused. It suddenly hit me I was probably speaking to the wrong people, and turned to the dragons. (I was disappointed that Tongs was not among them.) I asked the largest one if he had instructions from Lord Gelban from us and the voice that responded set me smiling. It was Hammer, and he was going on with his usual flair. We were to return to Greyhawk immediately. I had thought that we were to be borne on the dragons before me. But that notion brought a new round of diatribe from Hammer, who most certainly does not see himself as a beast of burden. And the notion of how to transport the mounts was another issue.

Instead the druids began unpacking some type of device. As it took shape, it seemed to be a large mithril doorway or portal. It took them some hours to unpack it and set it up. Once assembled, I could see slots on the sides with various colors and metals corresponding to various dragons. (I was slightly surprised the colors were represented also.) We set about to recovering our gear and preparing to leave.

Even assembled it took further time for them to activate it, and for the portal to stabilize enough to cross. We step through and arrive in Greyhawk, at Lord Gelban’s estate.

The guards are a bit shocked but recognizing us, are not alarmed. While they take the horses, we’re told Lord Gelban is indeed home. The topic of a bath draws immediate attraction from myself and Valanthe and we all return to our rooms to clean up, since Lord Gelban did not require us immediately.

After a refreshing and unnecessarily long bath, I put on some suitable clothes and met up with my fellows. We found the deputy steward since Nasir was apparently away on some business. He was a bit flabbergasted by us but we were shown in to Lord Gelban in the garden.

Lord Gelban waited in the garden with one of the Silent Brothers. Nearby Ariadne was picking flowers. Seeing my raised eyebrow at this, Lord Gelban indicated that with the recent feud in the Scarlet Brotherhood, she was apparently safe for now.

Lord Gelban listened as we related the full details of our findings to him. He indicated he has turned the information over to the Silverring and his people are investigating more fully. He expects we will soon have more information on what is occurring.

He has also received troubling news. He then turns to Anselm to explain the matter, indicating the Silent Brother. This is indeed the same man we met at Oakhurst so many months ago. He tells us that his order sealed the citadel after we had finished with it. However they did not realize that the tree was still holding a vampire within it. The vampire killed three of his brothers in its escape.

It is the obligation of their order to make sure that dangerous knowledge remains unknown to those who should not know it. They could not relocate the binders to their tower, however they did assist the greys in hiding them away. Obviously they have failed however. His order did not know the locations of the binders themselves - that information was lost over time, however one of the locations we retrieved coincides with the location of the escaped vampire. In the hills of Ten is the Nightfang Spire. They believe that the escaped vampire is there.

They have been monitoring the spire as best they can and somehow the spire is broadcasting negative energy. The brother sent to monitor the spire has experience with the clergy and he is quite sure of the matter. The order also believes that this vampire is Gulthias himself, and that he is in league with Chavram somehow. The device that Gulthias is using to broadcast negative energy is likely linked to the mark on Dravot’s arm.

Lord Gelban wishes us to journey to Nightfang Spire and put an end to Gulthias. We should destroy this device he is using, and in doing so may aid Dravot. Lord Gelban urges us to make our preparations. While the matter is important, we can take some time to prepare properly and when we are ready we may return through the gate back to Shand. He also told us we would find more tokens of his appreciation in our quarters.

And here I was so pleased to be away from Iuz’s lands…

Zad

First Post
Loot!

Originally posted by Wizardru
-------------------------------------

Awaiting each of the members of the Savage Sword of Meepo in their personal quarters:

11,000 g.p. (Yes, that is _PER PERSON_).

One Gelban's Golden Scale (see below)

Gelban has expressed no exact date that he expects you to set out. However, he is hoping you won't delay for too significant a period of time. It is safe to say that after a week, he will begin to inquire after your plans.

Shortly after your return, Thorkeld and Dravot depart for the Temple of Pelor. Thorkeld says his farewells, as he is planning to leave from the Temple and take a ship to Ahlissa. Aran'gel and Kayleigh take a sojourn into the city, as well, though it sounds as if they intend to spend more time in shops and taverns than at prayer. Scorch grumbles something about the Great Library and the University, but is extremely vague about his actual doings. Valanthe also mentions something about a shopping trip, but oddly enough doesn't intend to do it at the great market...and only mentions something about the 'midnight market'...though she won't mention where it is. Rackhir spends some time shopping, and can be seen the shops at the low market...and inquiring about menageries.

Specific rolls will be made on Friday, as needed. Please prepare any shopping lists you might have, and remember that the market price in the books is not the price you'll pay in Greyhawk. (in other words, leave yourself some bargaining and markup room).

--------------------------------------------------
[bi]Gelban's Golden Scales[bi]

Each one of these items is an actual scale from a gold dragon, worked in the shape of a brooch with a design of a gold dragon worked onto it. Created in small sets of six, the scales must always be taken from the same dragon. When worn, each brooch confers the ability to communicate telepathically with any or all of those wearing the other brooches from the set, as per the MindLink ability from the Psionics Handbook (i.e. conscious communication over an unlimited intraplanar distance). Dispelling any individual scale from a set effectively displels all the scales in that set, regardless of physical distance. An individual wearer can consciously choose to sever a scale's connection to the other scales, but this merely silences communication to and from that brooch, it does not actually break the connection between them.

Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Detect Thoughts;
Market Price: 40,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads