• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards are supposed to be rich, right?

Blue Sky

Explorer
I'm curious. What kinds of ways can a wizard/sorcerer use to increase his wealth? In the game I'm playing, I'm short on cash, and trying to think of ways to sell my spells for profit.

I've tried loading up supplies from Sharn, and Teleporting to a dwarven town on the other side of the continent that's been locked up for 50-60 years, but the DM only gave me a 60 gp return on a 4000 gp investment.

I've tried using my incredible perform modifier (+30) to gain a noble sponsor, but the DM says "Your stories are *insert homophobic derogatory statement here* and elven, so no one wants to hear them." (putz!)

I have access to 4th-7th level wizards spells, so I'm wondering, what can I do to make some cash? Any ideas?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The main method for wizards to gain money is item creation. Make items for NPCs and fellow PCs (perhaps giving PCs a slight discount); this has a 100% rate of return, less discounts and XP.

Cast spells for NPCs, roughly following the guidelines in the PH. You should get a few hundred gold pieces for each casting, unless the spell is 1st level or below.

Use Perform, prestidigitation, and more powerful illusion spells to awe commoners or amuse nobles, taking whatever cut you can get.

Use Craft (armorsmithing) untrained to make mithral shirts (DC 14) at 1/3 their normal cost, then sell them.

Blood Jester

First Post
Blue Sky said:
...I've tried loading up supplies from Sharn, and Teleporting to a dwarven town on the other side of the continent that's been locked up for 50-60 years, but the DM only gave me a 60 gp return on a 4000 gp investment.

I've tried using my incredible perform modifier (+30) to gain a noble sponsor, but the DM says "Your stories are *insert homophobic derogatory statement here* and elven, so no one wants to hear them."...

Any ideas?

Get a new DM.

Seriously though, your DM obviously does not want you being creative and RP'ing ways to earn a living, so really, you should give it up.

All that can come of trying further is your DM will find ways to make your PC suffer.

PallidPatience

First Post
It sounds to me like your DM is handling your gaining money poorly. If the Dwarven community had been locked away for so long, surely they'd be wanting things from outside, unless they'd locked themselves away. At the same time, surely someone would want to see you perform with a modifier of 30.

Are there other famous elven performers? Are there other performers at all? Do people not want to be entertained in this world?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dude. There is exactly one way for a Wizard capable of casting 7th level spells to make money.

Kill a dragon and take its stuff.

Cheers, -- N

Slife

First Post
Fabricate is always nice, but not very get-rich quick.

Selling iron from walls of iron works too.

If you have a decent charisma score, how about this?

Planar binding = A single Djinni = A permanent at-will minor creation SLA = Nearly unlimited Black Lotus extract = Lots of cash.

This DC 20 contact poison does 3d6 con damage initially, then 3d6 strength damage. A single dose costs 4,500 GP.

You can't go wrong with it (unless you have a paladin in the party...)

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Blue Sky said:
the DM says "Your stories are *insert homophobic derogatory statement here* and elven, so no one wants to hear them."

I think you can just give up on your DM ever having any kind of intelligent response to anything you do after he makes a comment like that.

I'd just pack up and leave the game now and save yourself a lot of grief.

Chimera

First Post
Ditto what Aaron L says. Especially when you only make a 1.5% profit on taking goods to an allegedly long-isolated town.

Your GM is being a JERK.

If you can find out why and hash it out so that it stops being this way, then good for you. Otherwise you're probably better off finding a new GM.

Unless you were trying to sell the dwarves battle axes that they could make themselves I would say that you got ripped off. 1.5% return on most ventures is not particularly fantastic. It sounds like the DM doesn't want to reward you financially for coming up with creative ways to make money.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads