• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards, Armour and the Collective Consciousness

NerfedWizard

First Post
I'm currently having a debate with a very stubborn and obstinate member of my gaming group who was indoctrinated by a certain well-known commercial RPG into believing that wizards in any game ever written should never be able to wear metal armour without incurring a chance of failing in their spellcasting attempts because the iron (it goes without saying) mysteriously interferes with their magic and of course all wizards are old weaklings who can't wear armour because naturally you need training to even move in a chainmail shirt. Needless to say to state my own partisan viewpoint I completely disagree with all the aforegoing points.

However this stubborn man has challenged me to come up with instances in classic myths, fantasy literature, fantasy movies and other parts of our Collective Consciousness of fantasy which show wizards wearing armour.

Now, I'm not fussy about the distinction between wizards, sorcerers, magi, magicians, enchanters, etc. for these purposes, as long as we start from the premise that they are using something that my stubborn friend would regard as "arcane" as opposed to "divine" magic and are racially fully human and living, or at least humanlike.

So far, I've come up with Elric [human? humanlike?], who I think wears armour at some point. Anyone who could confirm that please do.

However mostly I am asking because I am lazy - please can people come up with a list of figures from literature, classic myths, movies, poems, children's stories etc. - anything which feeds into our collective imagery of magicians (but NOT simply RPGs) - even a few would be very helpful so I can give him the link to this thread!!!

Thanks

Matt

EroGaki

First Post
Garion from the Belgariad series by David Eddings wears armor a few times in the story, and he is a magic-user (sort of).

One problem I see with this challenge is that in most old literature/stories, there is no distinction between arcane and divine; Merlin was more of a druid in certain versions of the old legends. And plenty of magic-users in fiction have the ability to use healing magic, which is divine in D&D.

Aus_Snow

First Post
If they're basing their bias on 3e rules, then they should have a closer look at the 3e rules.

Otherwise, it might be quite the task to sway them.

There are some more stories and such, with these things happening. Can't remember (again) however. . . just like last time this topic came up. *sigh*

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Start by reminding your friend that magic isn't real, so game physics for magic are totally contrived according to the particular group's tastes and preferences.

Pbartender

First Post
However this stubborn man has challenged me to come up with instances in classic myths, fantasy literature, fantasy movies and other parts of our Collective Consciousness of fantasy which show wizards wearing armour.

Darth Vader. ;)

On a more serious note... Thulsa Doom. Robert E. Howard's stories are full of Wizards, especially evil ones, that wear armor.

Also, the White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia went to battle in armor.

Last edited:

Ydars

Explorer
I am not sure your "I am going to prove you wrong" is the right approach with this player. He is not sticking to it to be awkward but because he finds the explanation satisfying. If I were you I would try and provide him with an alternate explanation of how magic and armour interact to replace the one he envisages.

I assume this person is not from D&D because if he is then he has missed the D&D explanation for the reason armour inhibits spells completely; it is nothing to do with metal and everything to do with the somatic component of spells being inhibited by wearing restrictive clothing of any kind (gauntlets etc).

The only game I ever remember using this type of explanation was MERP I think. Where did he obtain this prejudice?

Oni

First Post
Don't some of the spellcasters in the Black Company books wear armour? I've only read about half of one random one, but I vaguely recall that being the case.

Byronic

First Post
Warhammer wizards don't seem to have a problem with magic (for example Nagash)

Elric never had problems with armour.

Filcher

First Post
I think it's funny that you mentioned two seperate characters that are essential played by James Earl Jones! :D

This is correct. You need to have at least 1 or 2 ranks in the James Earl Jones prestige class, to allow spellcasting in armor.

On topic, you could always default to:

"Why yes, armor does interfere with spellcasting. That's why the almighty Circle of Carrot Magi worked so hard to come up with this 0-level cantrip that permits casters to ignore the negative effects of armor. How does it work? Why ... it's magic."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads