• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards Design Test: Who's going to submit?

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'm really put out by the map part of this. It has to be hand-drawn in ink? Does one's ability to draw maps neatly really reflect so much on creative ability as a designer?

Rystil Arden said:
I'm really put out by the map part of this. It has to be hand-drawn in ink? Does one's ability to draw maps neatly really reflect so much on creative ability as a designer?

It's all about conveying to the reader/editor exactly how the environment is laid out.

I've had maps that were inconsistant in location, placement that threw off an entire adventure. Had to re-write parts and alter the map a bit to make it consistant. They want to avoid that as much as possible.

I guess it's not so much the "art" part of writing as it is the "craft" part of writing...

joe b.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rystil Arden said:
I doubt it. I imagine it's just there to cull out the most blatant plagiarism.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Well, unfortunately, my handwriting is atrocious to the point where I realise that the map is guaranteed to be a dealbreaker for anything I would submit. Oh well, I guess this keeps me out of the running then. Good luck to everyone else!

Rystil Arden said:
Well, unfortunately, my handwriting is atrocious to the point where I realise that the map is guaranteed to be a dealbreaker for anything I would submit. Oh well, I guess this keeps me out of the running then. Good luck to everyone else!

Do you have anyone that could help you? A significant other or somesuch? My wife helps me doodle stuff occasionally, because some of my "art" qualifies as a blasphemy against taste.

Patrick Y.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Arcane Runes Press said:
Do you have anyone that could help you? A significant other or somesuch? My wife helps me doodle stuff occasionally, because some of my "art" qualifies as a blasphemy against taste.
Excellent suggestion! My wife regularly takes forms away from me and fills them out herself, for that very reason. :eek:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:

Patrick Y.
Nope, though that would be a really good idea, actually. Unfortunately, as a college student who can't find even a single other D&D player here, there's not anyone I could ask :(

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
My guess is that they'll be looking more for creativity and sensibility in layout, and possibly interesting situations/terrains/sites.

Whisper72

Explorer
Hmmm... it just states that the map must be an original (i.e. not something cut and pasted), and that it must be rendered in ink.... isnt a map 'drawn' using cartography software (even something free as Dungeon Crafter) and then printed using a bubblejet or inkjet printer also 'rendered in ink'???

I do not notice the words 'hand drawn' anywhere in the section where it sais you need to inlcude a map....

So Rystil, there is still hope...

Remove ads