• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards Fall Catalogue

Voss

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Something that bugs me a little is the talk of launching a new class, the Swordmage. A big complaint against 3E that was used to justify 4E is the rules bloat, and lack of balance in later materials. And here we're talking about adding a new core class less than 6 months after the launch of the new edition.......

I just dislike the fact that its buried in the...muck... that is the new FR book, along with new powers for other classes. I'm going to sit down with that section of the book, flip through it for ideas, then toss it back on the shelves, because I'm not going to shell out $30 just for that, even though that seems to be the point- put general stuff in the campaign book so the general audience is more likely to buy it.
Though, just to make it worse, 3 months, not 6. June-->September.

If the class was that far along in development, shouldn't it be in the core? Seems like we're just setting off down the exact same path as before, but this time, it's planned from the beginning. Do added classes get nearly as much playtesting as a core rules release?

Banshee
Doubtful, WotC splats have never been good about that, though they were talking about the swordmage back in november or december.

But yes, this is planned. There was the slashdot(?) interview a few months back- they expect 4e to last 8-10 years. Then 5e!

Atreides said:
As requested, more Goodies:>

Star Wars
Scum and Villainy
November 18
224 pages, $39.95

"new rules and information on smugglers, bounty hunters, crime lords, and anyone else who walks outside the law. "
"product arms players with exciting new options (talents, feats, and the like) for their scoundrel characters."
*shrugs* Already knew about this one, but a chap could hope... still, thanks for the reply.

morbiczer

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Seems like we're just setting off down the exact same path as before, but this time, it's planned from the beginning.

Are you even surprised?

I don't care much for 4E, so my opinion is probably not that relevant, but I was always very surprised that one of the pro-4E arguments was that 3E had become so bloated with additional rules. Core-4E might be simpler and "rules lighter" than late-3E, but for me it's clear that 4E will catch up sooner than later. I think the first new core class was added to 3E about three years the edition came out. 4E will have at east doubled the number of core classes at that time.

Gargazon

First Post
Am I the only one who, upon seeing 'Purple Dragon', instantly remembered all that vibrant purple imagery that came with the Eldrtich Giant and Warlock Blast in 3.5? Purple would appear to be the colour for 'Eldritch', so I imagine that the Purple Dragon will be the 'Eldrtich' Dragon and be the nasty spellcasting powerhouse that many people would want the other dragons to be.

I also see him being a great lover of everything magic, and regularly hunts the land for magical items to add to his hoard. Needless to say, this makes him very unpopular with wizards as he regularly hunts them down and eats them, believing them to fuel his arcane might.

Well, if that's not the fluff given, it's certainly the fluff the dragon will be getting.

am181d

Adventurer
Isn't there reference to a knighthood of the purple dragon somewhere in 3e? Purple is the color of royalty, so my guess would be that the purple dragon will be "regal."

The gray dragon seems like a strange choice, considering that the problems designers had with copper vs. brass vs. bronze. I mean, isn't gray vs. silver vs. iron vs. adamantine the same problem on crack?

Brown as "animalistic dragon" is a neat idea. Will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

pukunui

Legend
@ the people complaining that there are too many books coming out already: The Rouse has said that they've front-loaded the release schedule this year as it's a new edition and they want to get a whole bunch of stuff out to lay the foundations but they do plan on easing back and spreading out the releases more as time goes on.

am181d said:
Isn't there reference to a knighthood of the purple dragon somewhere in 3e? Purple is the color of royalty, so my guess would be that the purple dragon will be "regal."
Cormyr's Purple Dragon Knights from FR, as I noted earlier in the thread.

Stogoe

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
IAs for the Grey Dragon, my mind went instantly to fog. I can just imagine a Grey Dragon residing within or creating rolling banks of fog. Those peering into this bank, ocassionally sees a large shadowy object within the fog before it disappears again. Those that draw too near are eligible to have the Dragon spear out of the fog and snatch it up in its jaws. It is also known to have whole villages left deserted and destroyed after some fog banks roll by.

Irda Ranger said:
I'm thinking granite. The unfeeling weight of ages; the patience of mountains. To me the Grey Dragon could be thought of as the Stone Dragon; the chromatic version of the Iron Dragon. Basic. Tough. A sleeping Grey Dragon was mistaken for a granite outcropping once and a town was built on it.

Both of these ideas are great. I can't decide which one the Grey should be. And this:
Gargazon said:
Am I the only one who, upon seeing 'Purple Dragon', instantly remembered all that vibrant purple imagery that came with the Eldrtich Giant and Warlock Blast in 3.5? Purple would appear to be the colour for 'Eldritch', so I imagine that the Purple Dragon will be the 'Eldrtich' Dragon and be the nasty spellcasting powerhouse that many people would want the other dragons to be.

I also see him being a great lover of everything magic, and regularly hunts the land for magical items to add to his hoard. Needless to say, this makes him very unpopular with wizards as he regularly hunts them down and eats them, believing them to fuel his arcane might.
is sweet, too.

frankthedm

First Post
I am pissed about the swordmade not being in the PHB. Whether or not its placement was a calculated marketing ploy, it sure looks that way to me. From what I have seen it was a much more sought after D&D character concept than the Battlefield Tactician / Warlord.

Glad to see the Purple Dragon is showing up early this edition. Purple dragons have generally been serious bad asses. 1E had their breath be a fire and lightning ‘Plasma’ combo. 2E gave them serrated teeth and claws that left wounds that took longer to heal and let them chose the shape of their breath weapon. Either a cone, line or a beam that could chop limbs like a sword of sharpness. 3E gave them increased damage by dragon size IIRC, and made their beam breath into a energy wedge that got iterative attacks.

pukunui said:
@ the people complaining that there are too many books coming out already: The Rouse has said that they've front-loaded the release schedule this year as it's a new edition and they want to get a whole bunch of stuff out to lay the foundations ...

And, of course, to capitalize on the enthusiasm associated with a new edition leading to quick associated purchases.

Not that I'm being critical; it's just striking while the iron's hot.

pukunui

Legend
Aesthetic Monk said:
And, of course, to capitalize on the enthusiasm associated with a new edition leading to quick associated purchases.

Not that I'm being critical; it's just striking while the iron's hot.
Yes, that too.

Remove ads