• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards' Guild

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
As WayneLigon said... ;)

Guilds will have own laws and rules (what magics are castable, when and where)
Guilds provide sharing of knowledge, being libraries and trading post for wizards
Guilds also can provide papers - things like right to cast, proof of insurance, familiar license
Guild membership can also be a tax loophole (local taxes at a reduced rate or write-off)
Guilds provide work - guilds can assign members to task, such as: education, adventures, item building, assignment to post

As far as sorcerer goes, that is up to you and you have to ask the question; how do the wizard of your campiagn view the sorcerers? If they don't care one way or another they will let them join. If they dislike, well thi scould be fun as you could have two guilds, the free guilds (all can join) to the Wizard's Guilds (only wizards). Now you can think of their relationship to each other as a power groups in your campaign.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
In Dragonlance there was an Academy of Sorcery where sorcerers could go to learn techniques to better utilize their own powers. And now in the current timeline there's talk of sorcerors joining the Wizards of High Sorcery (but it still remains to be seen how that will play out).

But I guess the DL sorceror might be a slightly different beast.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
And I forgot one, though it's usually an offshoot of the collective bargaining ability or the increased pooled wealth: guilds, at least later on in our world, gain great political power. A Wizard's Guild is offering a very useful and rare product that cannot be generally reproduced by others. The guild itself as an organization is likely to be very, very wealthy depending on what contributions it requires from it's members. That wealth and power is going to allow them to dictate terms to city councils and nobles, depending on how powerful the nobility actually is. They can also use that collective power as a sledgehammer when they need to.

"What? The council of Longhollow says they're going to ban the sale of scrolls? We'll see abuot that. Send a message to all Guild personnel in Longhollow. They are all coming down with the flu and cannot work on their various projects. Like the one that keeps the Longhollow Dam from disintergrating...."

A Wizards Guild could also cover more than one nation and act as a subtle or secret stabilizing force on an entire region.

They could have a law that says 'All arcane users belong to the Guild. Or Else.' The 'or else' could be anything from a fine to confiscation of all magic items to being torn apart by invisible demons while the words 'traitor' brand themselves on your forehead.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Again as WayneLigon said... ;) They could have a law that says 'All arcane users belong to the Guild. Or Else.'

The church: a result of or as a balance to. There is a lot of options with this but still goes back to power groups and relationship to each other.

MoonZar

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
What benefit to a wizard is belonging to a "Wizards' Guild"?

Would a sorcerer benefit the same?

Quasqueton

The spellpool is a very popular features among wizard guild. Maybe you should check the mage of the arcane order prestige class who's using spellpool. According to me all wizard guild can use the principles of spellpooling.

TheEvil

Explorer
MoonZar said:
The spellpool is a very popular features among wizard guild. Maybe you should check the mage of the arcane order prestige class who's using spellpool. According to me all wizard guild can use the principles of spellpooling.

It is an even better one for sorcerers, though the feat investment is a bit heavier...

MoonZar

Explorer
TheEvil said:
It is an even better one for sorcerers, though the feat investment is a bit heavier...

Well i don't know about a feat build that can make the same thing for sorceress. Could you tell me about it ?

dicechild

First Post
I would just like to point out that normally Sorcerers and Wizards are at odds, so I don't think that a Wizards guild would even allow a sorcerer. Just a thought.
KP

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads