• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards of the Coast LAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

First Post
impact it how, Finkin. like Doc said, everything is pretty much out already. DnD 3E has been made. it's here. there really isn't that much more for WotC to do with it. now before anyone goes and gets all in a twist, of course there will always be potential additions, it's the nature of invention. but as far as a complete system is concerned, DnD 3E is out.

certainly it's bad news, but ... remember that thread on the supposed cost of raising the prices of the core books? how many copies of the underpriced volumes have already been sold? and if they DO raise the price now, how many more do you think they'll sell? sad days are ahead :(

Mindcrime

First Post
Well I feel bad for those getting the axe - getting laid off in this economy is a really, truly sucky feeling. I know from first hand experience (and I'm quite sure most everyone else on these boards do too) just how painful losing a job can be.

Chris

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
As some have pointed out, the essentials are all available. Deities & Demigods will surely appear - I can't imagine them cancelling it when it's to appear, what, next month? Besides that one, the Epic level book is the only one I'm really looking forward to. But, even if neither make it the bookshelves, I still have plenty of material that could conceivably last a lifetime. So D&D is as safe now as it ever was.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
ColonelHardisson said:
As some have pointed out, the essentials are all available. Deities & Demigods will surely appear - I can't imagine them cancelling it when it's to appear, what, next month? Besides that one, the Epic level book is the only one I'm really looking forward to. But, even if neither make it the bookshelves, I still have plenty of material that could conceivably last a lifetime. So D&D is as safe now as it ever was.

I guessing those two are already at, or on their way to, the printer.

I had no real idea how many total employees comprised WotC. When the last round of layoffs came about, I figured that was a very large portion of their crew. It is a shame, though, when folks lose their jobs and I hope everyone lands on their feet somewhere... :(

Nikchick

Explorer
First White Wolf announces a "The City of Freeport" book for their Everquest line, and now WotC's holding out the Big Axe of Laying Off over the heads of several of my very closest friends.

It's only Tuesday and it's already been a hell of a week. :(

Nicole
(who dares not ask "What's next?")

Number47

First Post
Excuse me, but I don't actually follow the business end of the game very much. 100 layoffs would mean what, percentage-wise? Although nobody's said anything, I assume that the D&D website will be severely cut back. Websites produce no profit and ones like WOTC currently has require a lot of work. The messageboards at least should be axed, along with regular features. I would hope they continue to be diligent about FAQ and errata, though.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, I heard that the Lineweaver-Burke formula for competitive inhibition of an enzymatic reaction is 1/Vo = 1/Vmax + Km/Vmax (1+/Ki)(1/). But maybe I'm wrong :D

On a side note, I concur that D&D won't be affected much. If you look at trends over time, D&D has done pretty damn good lasting for this long. Certainly better than Pokemon and Magic. I doubt even the website would be impacted, since it's a way for them to advertise WotC products to 3E players.

LightPhoenix

Brother Laszlo

First Post
I think this is pretty standard cut-throat business practice for this line of business. I know that video game developers will often lay off almost the entire staff once a game has been shipped. Thanks for all your hard work guys, here's the door.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What else is a business supposed to do, treat every job like it's a job for life, then go belly up and everyone loses everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads