• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards of the Coast LAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Laszlo

First Post
Are we talking "a business" or WOTC?

I'm willing to bet that WOTC staffed way up to crank out the 3ed books, and now that they've occimplished it, they simply don't have a need for such a large staff, and are sizing down again for, which is a perfectly understandable business model.

Of course, if WOTC is slashing their staff so that they can hire and exploit a fresh batch of lackeys, like some other companies I know, then that's another thing entirely.

green slime

First Post
My condolances to those who have lost or are about to loose their jobs.

I could give a rat's rear end for the survival/non-existance of the game.

Human values first. It's just a frikking game, guys.

Black Omega

First Post
Brother Laszlo said:
Are we talking "a business" or WOTC?

I'm willing to bet that WOTC staffed way up to crank out the 3ed books, and now that they've occimplished it, they simply don't have a need for such a large staff, and are sizing down again for, which is a perfectly understandable business model.

Of course, if WOTC is slashing their staff so that they can hire and exploit a fresh batch of lackeys, like some other companies I know, then that's another thing entirely.
It's also quite possible this is more a Hasbro decision, than WotC. I recall Hasbro has had some troubles and thye could be cutting WotC as one solution for this.

herald

First Post
jeekies!!!

I just want to know who the cold hearted bastard is that said that there going to enjoy the silence once thier axed coworkers are gone.

I'm glad that they told us that it was happening, but jeez, have a heart!

The responsible business model here is to "hire" these folks from a temp agency of some sort. I'm sure there are groups that have writers and programmers. My company hires engineering staff like this all the time.

That way, when you want to reduce headcount, you're not really laying anyone off, and they have a built in network to get to work on another project.

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
It is a :):):):)ter that guys are being laid off at WoC, and that is a bad thing on a personal level....

On a D&D Gaming level I really don't think it will affect it overly too much..... Even if (god forbid) WoC gave up on its D&D line (worst case scenario I know, and it'll never happen) but the OGL is out there, the core rules are available to all adn there are a host of D20 companys out there backing it and I'm pretty sure always will...

D&D will always be around in one form or another, but I really don't think this is even a thought of ending the D&D line...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Joshua, I'd probably argue that what you suggest is easier for short-term projects. WotC hired to meet expected ongoing business need; now that it unfortunately looks like the need isn't there in the next year, they're scaling back. A layoff like this probably will save them $5-7 million in yearly salaries and benefits alone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for my friends there. Good business decision or not, it still stinks for those laid off.

Last edited:

Thats dumb, lets hire a couple hundred people as temps for a year or two and they won't get any benefits or paid vacations. But in the end it will be ok because when we get rid of them we won't be technically laying them off.

If a "job" cannot be done in 6 months or less then it is wrong to hire a temp to do it with no benefits. 6 months and longer really should be the work of a full time employee.

Joshua Dyal said:

The responsible business model here is to "hire" these folks from a temp agency of some sort. I'm sure there are groups that have writers and programmers. My company hires engineering staff like this all the time.

That way, when you want to reduce headcount, you're not really laying anyone off, and they have a built in network to get to work on another project.

Angelsboi

First Post
i meant D&D wont be affected in a bad way.

And newsflash - temps DO get paid vacations and benefits after 6 months. from the temp agency. I should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads