• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard's Spell Book Question

prodawg

First Post
I am making a new level 7 wizard with int of 19 and I am wondering how many spells are in his spell book to start?
Is it, all level 0: all spells, level 1: 8 (4 normal plus 4 int mod), level 2: 2, level 3: 2, and level 4: 2?
Please provide answer with explanation, thanks. This is my first time playing a wizard.

Storm Raven

First Post
prodawg said:
I am making a new level 7 wizard with int of 19 and I am wondering how many spells are in his spell book to start?
Is it, all level 0: all spells, level 1: 8 (4 normal plus 4 int mod), level 2: 2, level 3: 2, and level 4: 2?
Please provide answer with explanation, thanks. This is my first time playing a wizard.

Start with all cantrips.

Add a number of first level spells equal to 5 plus your initial Intelligence modifier (without any level boosts or stat enhancing items). (Why 5? Because you get 3 + Intelligence modifier at first level, and 2 more at second).

Add 4 second level spells.

Add 4 third level spells.

Add 2 fourth level spells.

Now, go back, add spells to your spellbook using your available cash as you see fit. To obtain and scribe a spell into your spellbooks costs:

112.5 gp for a cantrip;
225 for a 1st level spell;
550 for a 2nd level spell;
975 for a 3rd level spell; and
1,500 gp for a 4th level spell.

Alternatively, you can invest in a copy of Boccob's Blessed Book as part of your equipment (for 9,500 gp) and add spells to your spell book after that for the cost of the scrolls (12.5 gp for a cantrip, 25 gp for a 1st level spell, 150 gp for a 2nd level spell, 375 gp for a 3rd level spell, and 700 gp for a 4th level spell). You can copy a mximum of 45 spells into the Blessed Book.

Destil

Explorer
isoChron said:
I always used the sample wizard spellbooks from the T&B web enhancement (WotC).
Exchange the spells as you like.
Thoes are sample NPC spell-books. PC wealth guidelines are much higher than NPC.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Question for Storm

Where did you find the cost requirements of adding those spells in the spell book? I was just curious, as the only costs I can find is in the PHB where it's 100gp per page and I'm too lazy at the moment to look in the other books... Thanks.

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: Question for Storm

shadowbloodmoon said:
Where did you find the cost requirements of adding those spells in the spell book? I was just curious, as the only costs I can find is in the PHB where it's 100gp per page and I'm too lazy at the moment to look in the other books... Thanks.

It is 100 gp per page of spell copied into a spellbook. Each spell occupies two pages per spell level, cantrips take one page. The relevant text from the SRD (also replicated in the PHB, right next to the portion you are referring to) is:

Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up 2 pages of the spellbook per spell level. A 0-level spell takes a single page. A spellbook has 100 pages.

Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Hence, the scribing cost for a 1st level spell is 200 gp. The cost for a 2nd level spell is 400 gp, and so on.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
right....

but you added like 12.5 gp to cantrips and so on up through the levels thus:

0-level 112.5gp
1-level 225 gp
2-level, etc...

I was wondering where you got the extra gp from.

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: right....

shadowbloodmoon said:
but you added like 12.5 gp to cantrips and so on up through the levels thus:

0-level 112.5gp
1-level 225 gp
2-level, etc...

I was wondering where you got the extra gp from.

That is the cost of acquiring a scroll of the spell of the appropriate level. You have to have the spell available to begin with to scribe it, hence, you need to acquire a scroll, unless your DM is remarkably generous and lets you assume you found a spellbook with all the spells you wanted in it or something.

prodawg

First Post
Thanks for your reply. I understand the number of first level spells and fourth level spells. But how did you get 4 level 2 spells and level 3 spells? I am not too clear on that point.
When you gain access to level 2 spells at 3rd level, you gain 2 level 2 spells. At what point, do you get another two?
Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads