• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wizard's spellbook for Encounter powers?

Storminator

First Post
The Wizard's spellbook isn't very interesting. What if it applied to Encounter powers instead of Dailies and Utilities? What if you could swap out Encounters after each short rest?

Obviously it would be more powerful (probably not a lot tho), but would it be more interesting? Is it a house rule worth pursuing?

PS

Iceman

First Post
Applying the spellbook rules to encounter powers makes sense. The essentials Mage already does so.

Swapping after each rest is powerful or not based on the adventure. If you have a clue what you're facing, it's nice prep. If you don't know what's next, it's not really different than picking at the start of the day.
That said, I've allowed it (as a spontaneous decision, even, rather than a swap during a rest) for one PC with no downside so far. But he's only 4th level. Not sure what it'll look like later in his career. Might have to give the change-from-default action a cost (thinking level-based -> swap out his 3rd level spell for the unprepped 1st level one).

-VIC

Unwise

Adventurer
I actually allow them to not swap, but simply use one or the other. They don't need to decide before hand. I try to encourage the use for wizards, but nobody has ever played one in any of my games. I even allowed this for the mage who can do that with encounter powers and it still did not seem overly powerful in the brief test we did.

Remove ads