• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wizards vs. sorcerers

Crothian

First Post
Both of them and great and fairly equaly balanced. I was really surporised that Wizards could take to arcane casters like these and make them so very equal.

Warmaster_Horus

First Post
I personalll prefer wizards over sorcerors, not because of the versatility in spell selection or anything but because they resemble more of scientists, while sorceres remind me of artists and such. Being born with magic in your blood is pretty good and all but, breaking the boundary between normal and supernatural by intense study, self discipline, willpower and ambition is more appealing to me.

Also IMO opinion wizards make better villains than sorcerers and being the guy who cheers on for the bad guy in the movies, I am more inclined towards preferring wizards.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I don't really like Sorcerers, as regular player types. The whole feel of the D&D magic system is the memorization and study, it's the research and long nights pouring over dusty tomes. I don't like the feel of the sorcerer in my Greyhawk game so I don't allow them, for PC's or NPC's. I do think they are a good class for adding spell casting levels onto outsiders though, or Dragons.

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
I prefer wizards as well, I find the concept more fun to play and you can go more directions with a wiz, where a sor I feel is a better multiclasser, I use them to try and flesh out a char concept but wiz are the better class

Ace

Adventurer
Wizards are extinct in most of the games we run. I don't mean in some game context but because of the rules.

MOst of the players in the game would rather have a few spells and more firepower than the Wizards versitility

Also the 100GP/per level scribing cost just isn't worth it

While Wizards can get crazy with scrolls and such like and increase versitilty more our group just isn't interested

If we used more of the spells other than the most basic ones and were higher level it might be different but until then, basically we are Wizard free

On a related note I plan on dropping Wizards entirely (along with Clerics and a few other related) and trying for a magic is an inate gift feel. I think it will work great

Elaer

First Post
I find at higher levels, Wizards have a great advantage, if only because metamagic doesn't slow them down. At about 13th level, Wizards start to outpace Sorcerers, both in the fact that they can afford to learn spells such as Contingency, Permanency, and Simulacrum, and the fact they can learn more metamagic. Also, in one encounter, the firepower of a sorcerer is unlikely to be brought into play (as high level battles tend to be extremely quick), and while a wizard may be able to match a sorcerer fireball for fireball for one or two rounds, the sorcerer can't quicken spells, can't move and cast metamagicked spells, and have other severe limitations.

Of course, the high level sorcerer can keep his tricks up all day (or at least all hour), and a wizard might be spent after one encounter.

Poltergeist

First Post
Sorcerers largest advantage, in my opinion, lies not in their number of spells per day or even the "I can cast from whatever I know" aspect of spontaneous casting.

Rather, I think their largest advantage is that they have no need to prepare spells. The importance of this advantage varies by the campaign in which you play. If your DM has you attacked in the middle of the night frequently, or has you kidnapped frequently, or has your possessions stolen frequently, the life of a sorcerer is much more attractive than that of a wizard. With the eschew materials feat from TaB (or the alternate sorcerer), you can cast any spell from your repetoire stark naked after being beaten all night.

The sorcerers disadvantage really lies in spell selection----one can look at the "spells known" table for a level 20th sorcerer and it doesn't look all that bad. However, remember that you have to progress through all those levels and the decisions become much harder when you can only know one spell per level. Stock up on combat spells? Sure...but you will be nigh-on worthless in non-combat oriented adventures.

The wizard's advantage really does lie in spell selection but the need to be well rested and have a spell book to prepare spells is a huge weakness. This, again, varies by campaign. If you never get your spell book stolen (or damaged), or get kidnapped, or being attacked in the dead of night is rare, the wizard is much more attractive than the sorcerer. However, even one adventure (or one night of gaming) in which you find yourself totally unable to cast spells can be unpleasant to say the least.

Spell mastery mitigates this to some extent, at least giving you the opportunity to prepare spells when your spell book is gone. However, you *still* need to be rested so you can easily find yourself totally unable to prepare spells if a campaign is particularly hectic.

On the plus side, the wizard can really rock and roll, particularly if the campaign allows you the time to rest, to prepare spells, and most importantly, time and money to prepare magical items such as scrolls and wands. With the free scribe scroll feat, a wizard can prepare combat spells that will make him almost as effective (and depending on level of spells available, sometimes more effective) artillery than a sorcerer, while at the same time carrying scrolls of spells that he won't use every day but it is very handy to have when you need. You may carry that scroll of comprehend languages or detect secret doors around for three levels before you use it, but when you need it *poof* you have it at the cost of a few experience. Similarly, wands of frequently used spells can be handy, particularly to boost your combat capability (as, unlike scrolls, they do not evoke at attack of opportunity).

A wizard well prepared with scrolls and wands can be devestating and versatile. Additionally, if a party is careful about gathering information and goes into adventures well informed, the wizard can make strong spell selections that make her truly shine. However, if in a party ( like most of mine are) that function in a constant state of surprise and chaos, the sorcerer is probably a better choice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads