Wizards: We want Class Power decks

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm actually pretty strongly behind this idea. I like the idea of selecting your power from a 'deck' of powers and laying it down in front of you as a constant reminder of what you've done and what you can do.

On the Collectible Angle: I could see it working, IF and ONLY IF the rules text/power wasn't the collectible thing.

Like, there would be the standard Fireball card. It has a picture of a fireball blowing up. Yay!

Then there would be the Rare Fireball card. It's a foil card with unique artwork, or an unusual color scheme, or something else that makes it somehow "special" as a card.

The rules remain the same, the only thing that changes is the layout/format/picture/presentation. So it's not that Fireballs are rare, it's that randomly one of the cards is rare, and it's a super-deluxe version of the 'normal' card of it's type (though it has exactly the same information on it).

The moment I'm buying random boosters of new spells I won't be too enthused with it, but a slight collectible element isn't too bad of an idea.

Kunimatyu said:
Now that we know most of a class's options are contained within its powers, I'd like to see Wizards make decks of cards for each class with each core power present. Expansion books (like Martial Power) would have associated decks as well.

I don't want D&D to turn into a full-fledged card game, but being able to put my powers in front of me on the battlemat, and then "tap" or turn face-down per-encounter or per-day powers would be really nice.

There is absolutely no possibility that Wizards are not already aware of this angle. None. Just sayin'.

PS - Collectible cards for abilities? In the sense that abilities had varying values? That's one thing that would finally cause me to outright reject D&D and cast it into the pit of despair. Randomized cards similarly.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Kamikaze Midget said:
On the Collectible Angle: I could see it working, IF and ONLY IF the rules text/power wasn't the collectible thing.
If it's random, it'll backfire badly. See Paizo's Item Packs. The first packs were random boosters, now they're 54-card packs with non-random content.

Dungeon Tiles are also non-random (also a play aid) - a randomized play aid simply doesn't work, especially something like cards.

If they'd be a stand-alone game, like DDM, you could get away with being collectible - DDM also has the bonus that it's a physical product where the physicality (i.e. sculpted pieces) is the focus. But for cards, printed cardstock?

It only works for Magic, because there's an attached game with massive support from Wizards, including prize money, which is the reason why usually only very old or new Magic cards are actually worth a lot.

But for a mere game aid? Non-random - just look at the Item Packs.

Cheers, LT.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If it's random, it'll backfire badly. See Paizo's Item Packs. The first packs were random boosters, now they're 54-card packs with non-random content.

You read the post, right?

The one where I said that the rules information shouldn't be random, but that the design, color, quality, artwork, etc. could be?

So is this you agreeing with me?

Kamikaze Midget said:
You read the post, right?

The one where I said that the rules information shouldn't be random, but that the design, color, quality, artwork, etc. could be?

So is this you agreeing with me?

I don't think he is, actually. Your suggestion, with all due respect, doesn't make any sense with non-random content.

I mean, on the one hand, we assume that when you buy the game-aid, you get everything you're looking for. If that's not the case, then we're talking about randomized sets, which as proven with the Paizo example, are poor sellers, because they don't cater to actual needs of actual players.

The flipside of that is that, as, when a player buys this thing, they get everything they need, then ALL you are doing with "varied artwork, quality and colours" is simultaneously increasing your manufacturing costs whilst potentially annoying players, but probably not to the point where they will buy another ENTIRE set of the things they need, just to get the POSSIBILITY of having a fireball card with a red border and a prettier picture on it.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Orius said:
Thing is, a single deck for stuff in the initial PHB/DMG/MM is good, but how are they going to handle later releases and splats? Maybe have decks or "boosters" for each new book, or maybe a compilation of new stuff at the end of the year?

This is the main drawback to having cards. They work best when every supplement has them. The 2e failed in that they didn't account for all the other sources of spells (Dragon, FR, and the Complete books).

Not only do the PHB I, II, III, etc. need them but every Class splat, every Setting book, DDI content, third party content.

If we use something like this for our game, we need them for everything we use in our game.

Mortellan

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
I'd call you someone who didn't pay attention during the 2nd Edition era. Wizard Spell Cards, Priest Spell Cards, Psionic Power Cards.

1-2 years BEFORE MtG was even invented.
Oh I remember. Yeash. Those were terrible and hardly convenient IMO. I think mine ended up trashed.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
jodyjohnson said:
This is the main drawback to having cards. They work best when every supplement has them. The 2e failed in that they didn't account for all the other sources of spells (Dragon, FR, and the Complete books).

Not only do the PHB I, II, III, etc. need them but every Class splat, every Setting book, DDI content, third party content.

If we use something like this for our game, we need them for everything we use in our game.

Well this is where the benefit of DDI if done correctly could shine through. Each book you buy and get the online version of, if the PDFs are interactive each power could be clicked on to bring up the printable card version of it.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I don't see WotC doing that for all the 3rd party crunch.

It's one of those good ideas that falls through the cracks inevitably like the Dungeon Supplements. At some point someone decides their time would be better used elsewhere and the whole thing becomes an almost was.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Though I imagine if they do push the DDI they will keep that going for the whole course of 4E atleast when it comes to WoTC books. Perhaps if they open it up to 3rd Party as well, the 3rd Party could make their own PDFs with the cards.

Hell, do we even know if 3rd party books are included in DDI?

Remove ads