• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards who refuse to use blast spells

Phlebas

First Post
Our fighter has a cloak of arachnia, our warlock can also move around in a web

I've started casting it quite often if we're up against multiple opponents

the ranger and the cleric hate it 'cos they can never get to the action or even see whats going on so i normally dispel it or clear a path using a fire elemental or lightning bolt at the appropriate point so they can join in as well.

the fighter (when he cast it using the cloak) never bothers dispelling it - still he has INT as his dump stat so we shouldn't be surprised....

biggest drawback is lack of visibility of whats going on inside the web - so far it hasn't caused any major problems .........

wildstarsreach

First Post
If I'm limited in the spell I'd choose the blasting spells but given a widen spell selection I take a various array so as to give myself options in combat.

cattoy

First Post
The other logical response is for every low-mid level adventuring party to start emulating the very effective tactics of this particular party and in so doing drive every type of monster that is vulnerable to web and grease to near extinction.

So now there's nothing to encounter but stuff that is immune/resistant to such spells.

^_^

migo

First Post
Do the rules not allow someone in a greased area to lower their centre of gravity and use a staff to push themselves out of the area like a gondolier?

Noliar

First Post
As I was moaning in the Back to Sleep at 9:05 thread, damage spells have not kept up with hit point inflation. A damage spell only stops the other guy hitting you (and your party mates) if it kills and most foes worth busting out a third level spell for will survive a fireball.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Web is awesome. It can be used for the following strategies:

1) Divide and conquer - web half a force, kill the unwebbed ones then dispel the web.
2) Buff and conquer - web, buff for five rounds, dispel web
3) Escape

Entangle is even more awesome. It can be used for all the above, plus death by missile fire.

If AoE spells are hitting all your NPCs, I'd say they're too close together. Have your low-Int mooks spread out and attack from all sides. This may not work too well in a hallway, but most anywhere else it's feasible. And pretty much any BBEG should have some way of flying, which renders Grease impotent.

As for Web, I'd rule that any section of a Web that takes fire damage is destroyed. Baddie trapped in a web? Still Spell + Burning Hands and he's got a way out. Problem solved.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads