WOIN N.E.W. Space Opera [OOC]...

Character so far. Will get my background done over the weekend.

[sblock=Axel]
An unwashed warped human space jockey who hides a dark secret
Age 21
Homeworld: Asteroid

Strength 3 2d6
Agility 7 3d6
Endurance 7 3d6
Willpower 5 2d6
Intuition 6 3d6
Logic 5 2d6
Charisma 3 2d6
Reputation 0 0d6
Luck 5 2d6
PSI 8 3d6

Health: 22
Psi Points: 13
Speed: 5
Running: 5
Climbing: 3
Swimming: 3
Zero-G: 3
Low-G: 3
High-G: 3
Jump: 7' horiz, 3' vert
Carry: 100lbs
Initiative: 7d6
Defense
- Melee: 18 (5d6)
- Ranged: 22 (5d6)
- Vital: 11 (3d6)
- Mental: 16 (4d6)

Attacks:
- Melee: 3d6
- Ranged: 3d6
- PSI: 3d6

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (2d6)
Concentration 3 (2d6)
Zero-G 1 (1d6)
Ergokinesis 3 (2d6)
Computers 3 (2d6)
Pistol 1 (1d6)

Exploits:
Free
- Aim: This is identical to the Feint exploit, but for ranged combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the feinting action. All characters get either the Aim or Feint exploit for free.
Species
- Crazed Minds: The Warped really are a bit different. They think differently, and act strangely. They gain +2 MENTAL DEFENSE.
- See Ghosts: Warped claim to be able to see ghosts. Whether these are hallucinations or some strange artifact of the black holes they grown up near, these ghosts are able to impart information. Once per day, a Warped can spend a LUC die and ask one yes/no question which the GM will answer truthfully.n
- Warped Psionics: Warped begin play with two clairsentience or clairvoyance psionic powers.
Career
- Programming: You have been specifically bred and engineered for a purpose. At the start of a fight your ‘programming' kicks in, granting you a +2d6 INITIATIVE bonus.
- Telekinetic Shield: You gain +4 RANGED DEFENSE from a permanent telekinetic shield. This does not stack with any other equipment DEFENSE bonuses, such as shields, and it has no effect when used in cover.
- Off the Grid: You know how to disappear without trace, dropping off the grid completely. No location discerning checks or abilities can find you unless you want them to.
- Psi-Blast: You can use an action and make a PSI vs. MENTAL DEFENSE attack to blast an opponent with a mental burst which does 3d6 psionic damage and has a range increment of 10'.
Psionics
- Electrokinetic Blast: (Ergokinesis) (requires INT 6, PSI 6). You blast an opponent with a range increment of 10' with a bolt of focused electricity. Make a PSI vs. DEFENSE attack; if you succeed, you do 1d6 per 2 PSI electricity damage.
- Perception Filter: (Telepathy) (requires PSI 5). You render yourself hard to notice with a telepathic effect which causes others to simply ignore you. Perception filters work automatically on those with an INT attribute of less than your PSI score, while more intuitive creatures will notice you immediately. If you make an attack, the effect ends immediately. Creatures aware of you cannot thereafter be affected by the perception filter.
- Hypercognition: (Clairsentience) (requires PSI 8). When you use this power, everything appears to slow down for you. For 1 round per 4 PSI, you gain an extra action each round. Using this power is a free action.
- Precognition (Clairsentience) (requires PSI 4). Your natural precognition gives you a +1d6 per 4 PSI bonus to INITIATIVE checks as well as checks to access the ambush turn.

Gear:
Disruptor Pistol: Damage 2d6+2 heat, Range 12, Cost 100cr, Size S, Wt. 3, Availability 8B, Special: Sidearm.
Armored Pullover: Soak 3; Cost 40cr; Type Light; Wt. 10; Availability 6A; Inneffective – Heat
Survival Tool Kit: (Wt. 4, Cost 25cr) includes a compass, electronic mapping devices, emergency rations, a small selection of 10 spray dressings, 10 chemical light-sticks, and a portable laser stove.
Communicator, long-range: (Wt. 0.5, Cost 75cr) Range 1 AU
Knife: Damage 2d6 Piercing, Cost 2cr, Size T, Wt. 1, Availability 1A, Special: Throw
Credits: 143[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
I have never really like rolling for important stuff like Hit Points etc. so yea for Health and things like Psi Points you can take the average if you don't roll it. This is not going to be for individual dice right now BUT going forward it will be. Things like years of service and starting cash, let the dice fall where they may and that is what you get. This will only apply to your PP PSI (3d6 average 11). Looking over everyone else so far it looks like everyone is around average or higher.

Also I do agree with @tglassy note about XP and raises in a PBP so I am leaning heavily towards 5 x grade for XP raise and granting a few extra as the game progresses. EVEN with the FLT upgrade I worked up it will still takes weeks to travel between most planets that are not really close to each other.

I am going to start working on the first adventure this weekend then as the characters are all coming along nicely so we should start maybe Monday or Tuesday next week. Don't worry about starting late @mfloyd3, I will make sure to fit you in.

GreenKarl

First Post
I also decided that I am going to change the free armor to...

Mesh Lining Longcoat: Soak 4; Cost 50cr; Type Light; Wt. 8; Availability 9A; Inneffective – Blunt

As 'Heat' damage is a lot more common then Blunt ;)

Shayuri

First Post
Morrus, here's the output of the character generator compared to the character I built using the same (or as close as possible) choices from the book. The character generator doesn't allow a Homeworld choice, for example, so that's one reason for the differences, but in particular the attributes seem VERY different.

[sblock=Chargen version]A any 26 year-old Android bounty hunter who seeks perfection. (5d6)

STR 7 (3d6) AGI 11 (5d6) END 4 (2d6)
INT 7 (3d6) LOG 14 (5d6) WIL 3 (2d6)
CHA 4 (2d6) REP 2 (1d6) LUC 8 (3d6)

Skills computers 1 (1d6) engineering 1 (1d6) robotics 1 (1d6) computers 2 (1d6) piloting 2 (1d6) dodging 1 (1d6) electronic 1 (1d6) reactions 1 (1d6) gunnery 1 (1d6) martial arts 1 (1d6) pistols 1 (1d6)

Exploits Mechanoid, Ageless, Modification, Unsuspicious, Zero-g Monkey, Upgrade, Evasive Flying, Datamining, Aim, Systems Upgrade

HEALTH 16 (or 4d6)
INITIATIVE 3d6
PERCEPTION 3d6

SPEED 8; CLIMB 4; JUMP 22'/7'
CARRY 110 lbs (max lift 350 lbs)

WEALTH 320 (or 4d6)

MELEE DEFENCE 21
RANGED DEFENCE 21
MENTAL DEFENCE 10
VITAL DEFENCE 10

SIZE any
NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6+3

Life Path Service Droid => Space Jockey => Engineer => Pilot => Bounty Hunter

UNIVERSAL

Aim (Universal).This is identical to the Feint exploit, but for ranged combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the feinting action. All characters get either the Aim or Feint exploit for free.

Systems Upgrade (Universal). Choose one of the Android's modification exploits, such as Wheels, Armor, or Compute. You gain that exploit.

CAREERS

Zero-g Monkey (Space Jockey).

Upgrade (Engineer). You can modify a piece of electronic equipment of size Small or smaller to upgrade it permanently to a high quality item. This process takes one hour, but the item can only be used by you due to unfamiliar and jury-rigged controls, and renders it monetarily worthless. You can modify a piece of electronic equipment of size Small or smaller to upgrade it permanently to a high quality item. This process takes one hour, but the item can only be used by you due to unfamiliar and jury-rigged controls, and renders it monetarily worthless.

Evasive Flying (Pilot). A ship which you pilot gains a DEFENSE bonus equal to your AGI attribute dice pool.An aircraft which you pilot gains a Defense bonus equal to your AGI attribute dice pool.

Datamining (Bounty Hunter). You are able to locate a target's current location down to a specific planet by accessing credit, criminal, customs, and other records if you have access to a computer link.You are able to locate a target's current location down to a specific city by accessing credit, criminal, customs, and other records if you have access to a computer link.

RACE
Mechanoid (Android). Androids share the same range of traits as other mechanoids: they are immune to any attacks which target MENTAL DEFENSE; an Android's PSI attribute can never rise above zero, and an Android cannot spend LUC dice to gain bonus dice when making attributes; Androids are vulnerable (1d6) to electricity damage, and vulnerable (2d6) to ion damage, and Androids do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe.

Ageless (Android). Androids do not age, do not have an age category, or access to age-based exploits.

Modification (Android). Choose two modification exploits. Androids can take the Android-only Systems Upgrade universal exploit at any time to gain additional modifications.

ORIGIN
Unsuspicious (Service Droid). Everybody trusts a service droid; it doesn’t even occur to them that one might lie or attack. You gain a +1d6 bonus to all attempts to bluff or deceive or to access an ambush turn.[/sblock]

Defenses seem high too...I don't think it's limiting Defense dice pool by the character's rank.

[sblock=Book Version]
Blahblah, an ? android ? who seeks to perfect itself
Homeworld: Asteroid
Grade 5

Strength 5 2d6
Agility 9 3d6
Endurance 4 2d6
Willpower 3 2d6
Intuition 5 2d6
Logic 11 4d6
Charisma 4 2d6
Reputation 1 1d6
Luck 3 2d6

Health: 17
Speed: 4
Jump: 10' horiz, 10' vert
Carry: 90lbs
Initiative: 3d6
Defense
- Melee: 14 (4d6)
- Ranged: 14 (4d6)
- Vital: 10 (2d6)
- Mental: Immune

Attacks:
- Unarmed: 4d6 (1d6+2)
- Ranged:

Skills
Astrogation 1 - 1d6
Computers 2 - 1d6
Dodging 1 - 1d6
Engineering 2 - 1d6
Electronics 1 - 1d6
Gunnery 1 - 1d6
Martial Arts 1 - 1d6
Piloting 1 - 1d6
Pistols 1 - 1d6
Reactions 1 - 1d6
Zero-G 1 - 1d6

Exploits:
Free
- Aim
- System Upgrade (Universal; gain additional Android feature)
Species
- Mindless (immune to mental defense effects)
- Deterministic (Cannot spend LUC dice to gain bonus dice on attribute checks)
- Vulnerable to electric (1d6) and ionic (2d6) damage
- Does not eat, sleep or breathe, +100% weight
- Organic Appearance (somewhat humanlike appearance; not confusable)
- Armored (5 Soak, -1 SPD, wgt multiple 2x rather than 1.5x)
Career
- Service Droid - Unsuspicious (+1d6 to bluff, decieve or access ambush turn) 2 years
- Space Jockey - ? (?) 5 years
- Engineer - Android Repair (Action to heal 1d6 Health to adj mechanoid 1/day) 4 years
- Pilot - Evasive Flying (add AGI pool to ship DEFENSE when piloting) 5 years
- Bounty Hunter - Datamining (locate what planet a target is on using computer access to public records) 1 year

Gear
Credits: 220[/sblock]

Some choices made in this version weren't available in the chargen: Android Repair, for example. Other options existed in the generator that weren't in the book, like the Robotics skill...which this character would definitely have if it was possible. :)

Anyway, hope this helps! I really like what you have going there, and the GUTS of it work fine, I think! It just seems to be using different numbers than the book has...and I'm pretty sure it's adding up the attributes wrong? Hard to say! Definitely keep at it though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus, here's the output of the character generator compared to the character I built using the same (or as close as possible) choices from the book. The character generator doesn't allow a Homeworld choice, for example, so that's one reason for the differences, but in particular the attributes seem VERY different.

Thanks! That was super-helpful. I've managed to figure out what the issue was -- if a career exists in more than one book, it adds the attributes every time it finds the career in the list. In this case, things like Engineer and Pilot are in NEW and NOW, so it was adding the attributes for them twice. Now I know what I need to fix - I need to make sure they have distinct names like Engineer (future) and Engineer (modern). :)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, fixed that! Basically, all careers from the NEW core rulebook now have a † after them. The stats match up with yours now, except for the missing homeworld option.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Nice! Thanks!

So, to drill down now to the little things, since the major discrepancy was fixed, here's the new output:

[sblock=NEW android!]STR 6 (3d6) AGI 8 (3d6) END 4 (2d6)
INT 5 (2d6) LOG 11 (5d6) WIL 3 (2d6)
CHA 4 (2d6) REP 1 (1d6) LUC 6 (3d6)
Skills computers 1 (1d6) electronic 1 (1d6) robotics 2 (1d6) engineering 2 (1d6) computers 2 (1d6) dodging 1 (1d6) reactions 1 (1d6) gunnery 1 (1d6) martial arts 1 (1d6) pistols 1 (1d6)

Exploits Mechanoid, Ageless, Modification, Unsuspicious, Zero-g Monkey, Android Repair, Evasive Flying, Datamining, Aim, Systems Upgrade HEALTH 16 (or 4d6)
INITIATIVE 2d6
PERCEPTION 2d6

SPEED 6; CLIMB 3; JUMP 16'/6'
CARRY 100 lbs (max lift 300 lbs)

WEALTH 320 (or 4d6)

MELEE DEFENCE 14
RANGED DEFENCE 14
MENTAL DEFENCE 10
VITAL DEFENCE 10

SIZE any
NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6+3Life Path Service Droid† => Space Jockey† => Engineer† => Pilot† => Bounty Hunter†

A Android Service Droid† who grew up to become a Bounty Hunter† [/sblock]

Substantially closer! The discrepancy in AGI and STR is from the missing Homeworld, along with the missing skill rank. I think the only thing I'm not understanding right now is the LUC stat, which is quite a bit higher in this than I understood it to be from the book...as well as the LOG dice pool which shows 5d6 instead of 4d6 on a stat of 11.

I am curious to know if the change to Android rules (choosing 2 Modification exploits instead of 1) is an official change to the race, or a mistake in the program. Either way, it'd be good to have an option to select Modification exploits from the race selection and then later on if System Upgrade is chosen as a universal exploit. Though I'm sure you're already aware of that as well. :)

Oh, also the Robotics skill. Very interested in that one too. A new skill being added?

All in all shaping up to be a very useful tool!

Last edited:

mfloyd3

Explorer
Hey, I was thinking about my character background, and I realized I wanted to get a better sense of the nature of the Reach. It's a lot of star systems, so there is obviously going to be a lot of variation. I'm picturing some backwaters working like the Old West, with isolated settlements eking out a living and shipping ore back on cargo ships that arrive once per month. Other systems are colonized by chartered corporations, where life might be a bit better materially but civil rights are a thing that happens when they don't cut into profits. Smugglers make a living moving goods past corporate customs, bounty hunters land on backwater worlds to find those who thought they could disappear, pirates skulk on under-defended shipping lanes, criminal syndicates set up drug labs and protection rackets, and visiting revenooers are mystified as to why the locals threaten to shoot them for trespassing on their dirt farm. And this was before the Klicks and the Zenth arrived, and things started to get bad.

Have I got the vibe here?

Remove ads