• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wondering Monsters 12/12/13: Mapping the World

delericho

Legend
Yep, good article.

Of course, there's a clear challenge for WotC there: learn the lessons contained therein! Make sure DMs are provided with maps at the three scales, and especially at the most detailed of those scales; and make sure that those maps actually make sense at the scales provided.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I really want to see squares in dungeons remain 5' rather than 10'... It's been the standard sizing for a few editions now, and it'll just make things more confused if things are changed now.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I really want to see squares in dungeons remain 5' rather than 10'... It's been the standard sizing for a few editions now, and it'll just make things more confused if things are changed now.

Curious. Since that exact same argument could have been used, and didn't seem to matter, when 5' squares were introduced. Yes. Curious. hmmm...

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
That was really cool! Personally, while i almost always used published settings, i'd use Kingdom scale of 1 hex = 10 miles and would put 2-4 settlements and dungeons or other notable sites in a starting area about 50 miles across for one of mine.

Klaus

First Post

Instead of measuring by feet, I'd like to see the "square"-based rates of 4e remain, but renamed "paces" (for a useable in-world term). Even better if 1 square = 1 pace = 1 yard = 1 meter (and human speede would be 10 paces, wood elf would be 12 paces, dwarf would be 8 paces, etc). But I don't think that'd happen.

As for the poll, I'm with Plaguescarred: 50 mile area, 2-4 settlements, 2-4 dungeon/sites, kingdom scale.

delericho

Legend

The 5-foot square makes sense when the game assumes the use of miniatures, but it does lead to a proliferation of unrealistically-wide corridors. If 5e really is going to assume mini-free play, I would argue they should adopt whatever scale feels best. Indeed, it might be best not to have a fixed scale at all, and let each adventure adopt the scale that works best for its own maps.

However, if they must have a single fixed scale, and lacking any good reason to do otherwise, they should default to the same 5-foot square they've been using for the past decade.

Instead of measuring by feet, I'd like to see the "square"-based rates of 4e remain, but renamed "paces" (for a useable in-world term). Even better if 1 square = 1 pace = 1 yard

Yep, I could get behind that. Though they do need to be careful: they'd probably need to reduce the size of the square on the printed page (so the maps still fit on the page), but need to make sure that the grid doesn't become so cluttered that it is harder to read.

(Obviously, I just had to drop your "1 yard = 1 metre" suggestion. That's just the nitpicky mathematician in me. :) )

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Instead of measuring by feet, I'd like to see the "square"-based rates of 4e remain, but renamed "paces" (for a useable in-world term). Even better if 1 square = 1 pace = 1 yard = 1 meter (and human speede would be 10 paces, wood elf would be 12 paces, dwarf would be 8 paces, etc). But I don't think that'd happen.

As for the poll, I'm with Plaguescarred: 50 mile area, 2-4 settlements, 2-4 dungeon/sites, kingdom scale.

I have far too many maps using the 5' scale to want to see squares become yards. I think 1 inch = 2 yards is a closer translation, and would fully support that.

Li Shenron

Legend
Very nice article today.

I don't fully understand why I would need a grid on the entire world map, but in regional maps it's more understandable, and I think hex-maps feel much better.

Nah, movment rates are higher so having 10' will help with that.

If rates are always multiples of 5ft, then obviously 5ft should be the grid step. There are races with 25ft or 35ft speed.

The 5-foot square makes sense when the game assumes the use of miniatures, but it does lead to a proliferation of unrealistically-wide corridors. If 5e really is going to assume mini-free play, I would argue they should adopt whatever scale feels best. Indeed, it might be best not to have a fixed scale at all, and let each adventure adopt the scale that works best for its own maps.

However, if they must have a single fixed scale, and lacking any good reason to do otherwise, they should default to the same 5-foot square they've been using for the past decade.

This is a very reasonable comment. I don't think they really "must" have the same one scale always, but the benefit of that consistency is in ease of reading any map from any adventure without getting confused.

Remove ads