Wooden Table vs Virtual Table

Ryujin

Legend
Yes, I'm sure you'll have plenty of resolution! As for the mounting question, go with whatever works for you. I will say that I discovered that it's important to make sure that my rig doesn't get in my players' way (or my way, but that's less of a concern). I'm not a photographer, but from looking at pictures of photography background stands online, it looks like that might get in people's way.

Keep in mind that you don't need the image to project straight down. I project at an angle (with the projector mounted on a stand next to my end of the table) and just adjust the projector's keystone to square everything up. It works great.

Some people worry about players' minis casting shadows, and it can be a little bit of an issue if a monster is "hiding" in a PC's shadow, but overall most players have found the shadows to be a cool effect and not at all distracting.

But in the end, go with whatever works for you!

Well I've got one of these:

Impact Background Support System - 12' Wide 3046 B&H Photo Video

It's 12 feet wide so it would be well back from where the players sit, while still being centered on the table. There's also an empty space on one side of the table, most days, so I could rig up a single stand like yours in that spot if necessary.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Well I've got one of these:

Impact Background Support System - 12' Wide 3046 B&H Photo Video

It's 12 feet wide so it would be well back from where the players sit, while still being centered on the table. There's also an empty space on one side of the table, most days, so I could rig up a single stand like yours in that spot if necessary.

My worry was that the support posts and possibly the overhead bar might get bumped into, but if you've got a space where that won't be a problem then go for it!

Ryujin

Legend
My worry was that the support posts and possibly the overhead bar might get bumped into, but if you've got a space where that won't be a problem then go for it!

High ceilings in my buddy's basement, where we usually play. The bar shouldn't be an issue and the projector, which is the lowest part, would be over the table and out of the way.

ACGalaga

First Post
Well, when I use MapTool with a projector for in-person games, my players still use physical minis of their choice.

That's makes sense, it slipped my mind that that's the reason for projecting it onto the table.

As for improvisational map drawing, it's a piece of cake in MapTool. You can draw lines freely - and if you want just black lines on a white or tan background, that's completely an option.

So I have only just d/l-ed maptools and probably should go through some tutorials first. Looks real nice, though!

As for improvised maps, since you can draw in MapTools, you may want to consider purchasing an inexpensive Wacom tablet. I'm sure it would be nicer drawing those details with a digipen rather than a mouse.

Well I'll certainly look into enhancing my tech for D&D games. (especially since I live abroad and will most likely be playing more games online...)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
As for improvised maps, since you can draw in MapTools, you may want to consider purchasing an inexpensive Wacom tablet. I'm sure it would be nicer drawing those details with a digipen rather than a mouse.

I can see someone wanting to use a Wacom tablet, but not me. I'm a terrible enough artist that drawing with a mouse doesn't make things any worse!

Rhenny

Adventurer
I play online to to unite friends from around the country and to fit my schedule better than trying to make in person games, but I miss the interaction of playing at the table.

On VTT, we enjoy our games, but they are a bit slower than playing at the table.

In older online campaigns I played and DMd, we used to use just the chat (openRPG and Maptools) Although that made the game move incredibly slowly, it did encourage us to type and play much more in character. Also, we could save the chat logs and read them later and see how funny and or skillful our roleplaying was. It was like we were writing a story together...very cool. But, everyone playing needs to be a great typist and a patient player for that to work.

Remove ads