• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wordclouds from the 4e and 3e PH's

Halivar

First Post
It's no surprise that 4E has "attack" and "damage" and 3.5 has "spell" and "creature", given that these are keywords in repeating spell/power blocks that make up almost half of their respective manuals.

I'd be more interested in word clouds that exclude the spell/power sections, and focus on the introductory fluff character-building sections. You're probably more apt to find the real philosophical differences indicated there.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
There's something I like about "GAIN VS END" appearing on the bottom right of the 4e one.

I'm kind of disappointed -- but not surprised (which is maybe even more disappointing) -- at how sterile these are. No sign of "adventure", "quest", "villain", "story", etc.

Dreams for 5e, I suppose. :D

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There's something I like about "GAIN VS END" appearing on the bottom right of the 4e one.

I'm kind of disappointed -- but not surprised (which is maybe even more disappointing) -- at how sterile these are. No sign of "adventure", "quest", "villain", "story", etc.

Dreams for 5e, I suppose. :D

I'd be interested to see them done for the DMGs. That's where the real inherent assumed playstyle differences, if any, will appear.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's no surprise that 4E has "attack" and "damage" and 3.5 has "spell" and "creature", given that these are keywords in repeating spell/power blocks that make up almost half of their respective manuals.

Some of what's interesting to me is that "attack" is still fairly prominent in 3.5. And in the wordcounts, "attack" occurs some 1,000 more times in 4e than in 3e (which, given that it's in almost every power's entry, makes a lot of sense, kind of like how "level" gets a prominent position in the 3e cloud).

It's also interesting to see ACTION so high on the 4e side, but not really flashing up at all on the 3e side, while what in 3e is "bonus" becomes "modifier" in 4e.

I'll see if I can't throw up the DMG (and MM?) in the next few days, though I imagine the MM will have a lot of stat-block terms in it.

Spatula

Explorer
I'll see if I can't throw up the DMG (and MM?) in the next few days, though I imagine the MM will have a lot of stat-block terms in it.
The 3e DMG is going to be skewed by the magic item section, which is a sizeable chunk of the book. A lot of "CL"s, "Price"s, and "Create"s (from the feat requirements).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For the sheer hell of it, it'd be interesting to see how the 1e and 2e PHs fare when put through wordle.

I, unfortunately, don't have the technology to do so.

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads