• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Words you learned through D&D

Quasqueton

First Post
When I was in school, getting into D&D really boosted my vocabulary. My 9th-grade teacher offered her students bonus points for the semester if they told about or brought in places where they heard or read a word from our vocabulary list each week. Quite often, my words came from D&D books.

I grew a love of reading pretty much directly due to D&D. In some of the early BD&D adventure modules, there were glossaries with uncommon (but real) words used in the text. The words in the text had an asterisk noting it as a glossary word.

In honor of this, let’s share words we’ve learned through D&D.

Give three words that you have learned strictly because of D&D. Three real words, not created words (like THAC0 or Ba’atzu). In what book did you first encounter the word?

Quasqueton

Off the top of my head, I can only give you one--"ziggurat"--and I think I first came across it in White Plume Mountain.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not remembering them at the moment.

the_myth

First Post
Quasqueton said:
When I was in school, getting into D&D really boosted my vocabulary. My 9th-grade teacher offered her students bonus points for the semester if they told about or brought in places where they heard or read a word from our vocabulary list each week. Quite often, my words came from D&D books.

I grew a love of reading pretty much directly due to D&D. In some of the early BD&D adventure modules, there were glossaries with uncommon (but real) words used in the text. The words in the text had an asterisk noting it as a glossary word.

In honor of this, let’s share words we’ve learned through D&D.

Give three words that you have learned strictly because of D&D. Three real words, not created words (like THAC0 or Ba’atzu). In what book did you first encounter the word?

Quasqueton

brazen strumpet
expensive doxy
haughty courtesan

ah, the wandering prostitute sub-table in the back of the AD&D DMG...

specifically, the words I hadn't known before were "brazen," "doxy," and "haughty."

I too credit RPGs for upping my vocab. Comic books too.

Havlo

First Post
Melee and scenario (Moldvay rules)
Brazier (1e DMG)

All I can think of off the top of my head. Plus it's hard to remember that far back. Started playing when I was 9.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads