• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Work for Charity Day

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yesterday evening, my wife and I, who are prone to such things, went for a long walk. During such walks we talk about books, matters of the day, all sorts of stuff.

During this walk, we discussed how, while our own neighborhood and area are pretty nice (not perfect, but pretty darned good), there are any number of things wrong in the world that need fixing, a lot of rough bits, people in need, any number of problems out there. Most of them are out of reach, happening hundreds or thousands of miles away. There's not a whole lot we can personally do, hands-on, to help fix things. It leaves one feeling a bit passive and helpless.

We could throw a bit of money at such problems, but that doesn't quite make you feel like you're *doing* something, spending some of your own time to make the world better.

But, really, time is money. I can go to work, and then turn around and donate that day's income to charity.

We therefore declare Monday, November 4th to be Work For Charity Day. My wife and I are going to donate our entire income earned that day to charities of our choice. I think it would be amazing if you would join us, and do the same.

It's one day's wages: assuming you get two weeks off, it's about 0.4% of your income. It's tax-deductible, too, and making it one day's pay helps even it out across income levels - everyone's donation is equal, in the percentage of their income that it takes. If you're unemployed or underemployed and still want to participate, donate a day's work to charity - volunteer for 8 hours.

What charity? That's up to you - pick something that you find meaningful and significant and in need of your help and support. That's the beauty of this - everyone participating is part of something bigger, but you still get to choose where your money goes. It's your money; send it where you think it'll do the most good. And at the same time, one donation to one charity at a time, I think this idea can ultimately make a difference - and bring my friends together in accomplishing something.

So, what do I want from you?
-Pledge to Work For Charity on Monday, November 4th. Promise that, on that one day, you will donate your income for that day to the charity of your choice.

-Spread the word. Please share this around, or point other people towards it. The thing has a Facebook Group, if you're into that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/555664727824486/. I really do believe that the more people who participate in it, the more awesome it will be.

If you do choose to participate, please comment and let me know. You don't have to tell me what charity you're pledging to support, but if you want to, I think that'd be cool. Likewise, once this is done, you don't need to tell us how much money you donated, but if you choose to, it'd be great - we'd love to be able to say, at the end of this, 'Work For Charity Day raised $X,000 for these charities! See how mighty we all are!'

Please do this with me. Things in many places are rough right now, here and in the rest of the world. It feels good to think that we could make a difference, even if it's a small one....

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'll certainly find a way to use that day as a way to help out. I wonder if our local K of C has something planned for it already. I've also been talking to the Lake Geneva Museum and Historical Society, as well as the library, since moving north. More to come, I hope.

Last edited:

Remove ads