Working magic in Free Kriegsspiel?

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I’ve been reading some more lately about roleplaying in Free Kriegsspiel (FKR) ways, there’s a lot I like. World-centric play with minimal rules and high trust is good for Bruces. But one of the things I like a whole lot in rolegaming is characters doing magic, and that can be tricky. I know how I’d go about it in, say, Risus, Fate Accelerated, and HeroQuest/QuestWorlds. I’ve seen just about no discussion of it in an FKR context, though. Could someone with info take pity on me and spare a clue?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’ve been reading some more lately about roleplaying in Free Kriegsspiel (FKR) ways, there’s a lot I like. World-centric play with minimal rules and high trust is good for Bruces. But one of the things I like a whole lot in rolegaming is characters doing magic, and that can be tricky. I know how I’d go about it in, say, Risus, Fate Accelerated, and HeroQuest/QuestWorlds. I’ve seen just about no discussion of it in an FKR context, though. Could someone with info take pity on me and spare a clue?
Here’s one blog post about it. I’ll dig around and see what I can find.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Another approach is a free-form magic system like XDM. If it’s just a narrative description of damage, handle it like any other attack. If it’s more than that, the referee assigns a target number (TN) based on how big and complicated the effect is. The player rolls for it and narrate from there.

Typically you’ll see some kind of narrative permission trait (like an aspect in Fate or a cliche in Risus) with some kind of limiter on the magic. This character is a fire wizard but that character is an ice wizard. Think bending or superpowers more than D&D-style do-anything magic. Bigger stuff is possible as long-term ritual magic, etc.

Remove ads