• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Darkness Firearm Flaw?

Sabotender

First Post
hey guys,
In addition to D&D i also play in a World of Darkness campaign once a week. My character refuses to use firearms and was wondering if there was a flaw that could cover this?

it kind of sucks that he cant ever use any guns, and not get some kind of compensation for this.

Voadam

Legend
I'm not aware of one but I've not been up on WoD mechanics for a while.

It depends on the game and your character but its not necessarily that big a deal. I played an oWoD brujah vigilante diabolist for years who only used baseball bats and clubs but no guns and was generally considered one of the most feared combatants in our chronicle.

I know my hermetic mage never used a gun either and it was not a big deal.

Sabotender

First Post
we are playing Mage: The Awakening.
My character is a Catholic priest, who is Moros (Death Arcana)

He enjoys manipulating shadows (vulgar), and doesnt really care if he suffers from paradox. The other four characters are all gun users, and use only Covert magic.

Our characters have often been caught in situations requiring guns (Gang wars) and in this recent chapter we were in a haunted prison, all the prisoners went beserk and almost took over the prison. The two guards that were still alive shoved guns in our hands, but i refused to take one.

Our storyteller (speaking in character as the guards) basicly called me names and was otehrwise pissed at a what useless person i was. Now, when we found the ghost that was causing this, i ignored the guards and the paradox, and used all my deathly magic on the ghost.

But still... from entering the prison all the way through all the prisoners, i did nothing, for i dont use firearms.

I was thinking of asking the storyteller if i could take the Pacifist Flaw, but my character has nothing against fighting with magic, or smacking people with his cane.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Really these sound like roleplaying quirks, not flaws.

However, if you feel differently, a Flaw in nWoD gives you 1 extra XP at the end of the session IF (AND ONLY IF) the ST believes that your fly seriously hampered you in the game (and you roleplayed it out well).

If you kick the crap out of some gun-toting mook with your fists, that's not really cause for getting extra XP due to your flaw ("but I didn't use a gun!" you say). However, walking into the middle of a prolonged and high bullet-count firefight and being pinned down, necessitating that you take serious risks to life and limb by bolting from cover to cover and helping your allies across the killing field, all the while not being able to return a volley of suppression fire...that could lead to some extra XP (and even then, it COULD...not HAS TO or SHOULD...depends on how difficult and harrowing it was in the story).

That would be my call.

In oWoD, you could definitely take a look at the Pacifist flaw...I believe it was 3 points...? Take a lesser version -- maybe 1 point -- that allows you to fight in other ways, but if you were to use a Firearm, you'd immediately call for a Degeneration roll of your Humanity, or maybe you'd automatically dump some Willpower, or temporarily gain a derangement (perhaps if you touch a gun, you're character just goes Berserk and starts shooting everyone, friend or foe). Again, it should be considerably less points than Pacifist though, because there are so many other options still open to you: does Firearms include bows, crossbows, slings? Blowguns? Why do you use those weapons and not a gun? If you punch someone to death, is that not the same as shooting them to death?

Define your boundaries and go from there.

legiondevil

First Post
In oWoD this is quite easily handled. Curse, 2 (or maybe 3) points, any firearm your character is handed breaks irrepairably before it is able to be used. Thus your aversion to even handling the guns. You can make up whatever fluff reason you want for it, even some form of long-lasting praadox flaw.

Crothian

First Post
This is not a flaw though, this is something your character personally chooses to do. If they had flaw moral code or something that might work. But it's not like one would expect some0one who uses guns to get rewarded because he refuses to use axes to kill things.

Sabotender

First Post
since eating disorders count as flaws, i was kind of thinking that it would be a mental disorder.

sort of like MacGuyver, he suffered a mental trauma and so refuses to touch guns, though he doesnt have anything agains fighting with traps and smacking people with logs :p (People = Murdock+goons)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
i also play in a World of Darkness campaign once a week. My character refuses to use firearms and was wondering if there was a flaw that could cover this?

it kind of sucks that he cant ever use any guns, and not get some kind of compensation for this.

Well, that would depend a bit on exactly what you are playing. If you are playing normal human characters under just the Core rules, then this would be a notable problem. If you are playing any of the supernatural types (Mage, Werewolf, Vampire, etc) then it really isn't a big deal. All the supernatural types have hefty abilities, such that missing out on guns isn't really a major detriment.

The nWoD way of dealing with this might serve, though - you get an extra XP when your flaw becomes a serious detriment (say, you refuse to use a gun in an adventure where refusing to do so puts your life really in danger).

Last edited:

Pain Noodle

First Post
I'm not familiar with the nWoD books, but it sounds like it falls under Code of Honor which I think is a merit, actually, from the oWoD books. Otherwise, I think it's a cool quirk to the character and wouldn't be concerned if you got points for it or not. If you rp it well enough, you should be getting extra xp from your ST.

Remove ads