• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Greyhawk shield devices

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
In Heraldic terms you seem to be talking about a Saltire (or Cross of St. Andrew) on a lozenge. I'm not sure that this information is significant, but a lozenge is used in heraldry instead of a shield to signify a female noble.

Arkhandus

First Post
GrumpyOldMan said:
In Heraldic terms you seem to be talking about a Saltire (or Cross of St. Andrew) on a lozenge. I'm not sure that this information is significant, but a lozenge is used in heraldry instead of a shield to signify a female noble.

It's not a lozenge, for reference. It's a diamond with an X overlaid upon it (the edges of the X extending out beyond the edges of the diamond). But the diamond is box-shaped, so not elongated vertically or whatnot.

Thulcondar

First Post
Apologies for resurrecting this thread from the hoary mists of time, but just for the benefit of anyone else who might stumble upon it (like I did) while searching for the name of the heraldic symbol that appears on the shields of all the members of the Iron League in the World of Greyhawk, it's called a fret (also spelled frette) in heraldry-speak.

Joe
http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

The Lordship of the Isles more or less punted from the Iron League when they became a puppet state of the Scarlet Brotherhood, right?

Correct.

Quoting Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, p. 72: "During the Greyhawk Wars, the wintry Latmac Ranold was abruptly deposed and an unheralded successor immediately took his place. The Lordship of the Isles quickly became a hotbed of intrigue. The new prince, a little-known Suel lord named Frolmar Ingerskatti of Ganode, immediately withdrew from the Iron League and set about lending his naval forces to the maneuvers of the Scarlet Brotherhood, including the blockade of the Tilva Strait that continues to the present day."

and Sunndi dropped itself from membership though they affirm Irongate and Onnwal as allies.

I believe this is related to the County of Sunndi becoming the Kingdom of Sunndi, and claiming to be a peer of Nyrond and Furyondy.

If I read this literally, Sunndi is no longer a MEMBER of the Iron League, but is technically an ally of it. I assumed Sunndi was a third member, but it could be read to mean it no longer is, just a friend not a member. "(King) Hazendel also reaffirmed Sunndi's allegience to and support of the Iron League, though only Irongate and the rebels in Onnwal remain members." (LGG, p. 111).

Remove ads