• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Warcraft/Everquest D20 books worth picking up??

Hstio

First Post
I've never played either on-line game (and never will) but was wondering if the books from either line are worth picking up. If so, which ones?

Hstio

Voadam

Legend
I've got the monster books for both and the Everquest RPG PH.

The Manual of Monsters is 3.5 has a lot of undead templates and variants of D&D creatures (different kinds or takes of gnolls, trolls, treants, chromatic dragons, etc.) plus some unique ones (panda men, their nagas are neat reptilian fish men, some boar men like 1e MM orcs and a whole demon scheme). It also has some hugely high level bad guy NPCs, demonic, undead, etc. The art is good and the mechanics are mostly decent with a few hiccups.

Everquest is a variant of 3.0, it has things like poison and spell resistance which suck up damage from those types of damage sources. Monsters of Norrath and Monsters of Luclin provide a range of D&D standards some with twists (orcs, dark elves, skeletons, dog-like kobolds, spellcasting eye tyrants, etc.) and new things (frog men, four armed giants, etc.). Most of them have stats or variations for different level ranges usually with different tribes etc so you could have goblins with 1 hd then orange clan ones with 5hd then red clan ones with 10 then purple nightfang ones with 20 HD. Also some have stats for ones with class levels already (I know the four armed giants do).

Monsters of Norrath is full color, Manual of Monsters and Monsters of Luclin are black and white.

I like monster books and I have enjoyed and gotten use out of all three.

Everquest PH provides different races and classes and magic and feats and even d20 progression options (customize what you get each level through a point system instead of feats every 3 levels and stats every 4) and do iteratives based on weapon speed rather than everything being +5 bab. Races are strong with big bonuses and some using xp penalties instead of LA, but I like that dwarves are size small with a bonus to strength. Cat men, trolls, ogres, hulking barbarians, different dark elves, and advanced high int human types add to the race options while classes include things like a full BAB less mystic monk, shadow knights, full classes for enchanters versus magicians versus necromancers, plus shamen and the standard knockoffs. Some classes use nonstandard d20 progressions such as rogues using a 4/5 BAB instead of 3/4 or 1/1. Magic works on a point system with 8 readied spell slots and spells being individual to class lists and their point costs not tied directly to level while points are tied directly to stat bonus x level.

It is worth checking out but I don't particularly care for the magic system, I dislike point resource management and it drives incentives hard to maxing out spellcasting stat through race selection and point buy stat specialization. I like a lot how their rogues trapfinding is an autocheck when near traps and some other bits and pieces.

Treebore

First Post
I would say yes. My last 3E game was a WoW game, and I enjoyed it. I am not, however, huge on "canon" so I probably ignored a lot of things more anal fans of WoW would not.

However, my youngest son is big into the history of the WoW world, and I remember him complaining about very few things being "wrong".

Hstio

First Post
Thank you for the advice. I've seen the books reasonable cheap online and thought about getting one or two. Good to hear that neither setting/book is "broken" and that there's some good material that can be easily ported over.

Hstio

~Coxy

First Post
WoW RPG is pretty imbalanced, and has some maddening changes for the sake of it (eg. trying to recast Dexterity as Agility, and even more maddeningly claiming that the abbreviation for it is *AGY*) but it can be pretty fun. I probably would not try to integrate WoW classes into a normal core rulebooks 3.5 game unless it is specifically meant to be high level/'rorty'.

I actually found the Warcraft RPG books to be more interesting. These date from before WoW came out and offer a pretty unique take on the world with a WC3 perspective before the game was released and changed it all.

darjr

I crit!
My last 3ed game was WOW. Me and my kid, played Orc barbarian brothers who would bicker over who dad liked best.

We had a gag that our Orcs would insist that they were healers and that the healing salve was NOT barbecue sauce. Nope.

Remove ads