• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Warcraft rant

KenM

Banned
Banned
OK, WoW is the first MMORPG I really want to try and get into, it might change my option of MMORPG's. But no store has it in stock, I heard Blizzard is holding them back to create demand. Anyone know if this is true? IMO they don't need to, from what I understand its very popular.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
Great, another MMORPG screwed up because the company hypes it up for a year and half before it comes out, then when things go wrong with the servers getting overloaded, ect. they say "we did not anticapate such a high demand."

msd

First Post
KenM said:
Great, another MMORPG screwed up because the company hypes it up for a year and half before it comes out, then when things go wrong with the servers getting overloaded, ect. they say "we did not anticapate such a high demand."

This is totally believable btw. I basically stopped playing because I couldn't find a server where the lag was anything less than unplayable.

It's not a bad game, but it ain't worth the monthly charge to play at this point (IMHO...I'm sure other people's experience has varied).

KenM

Banned
Banned
msd said:
This is totally believable btw. I basically stopped playing because I couldn't find a server where the lag was anything less than unplayable.

It's not a bad game, but it ain't worth the monthly charge to play at this point (IMHO...I'm sure other people's experience has varied).

They must be having some MAJOR server trouble if all you get is major lag. ANyone else have other info on it? There is nothing about server troule on the WoW site.

Enforcer

Explorer
I only occasionally experience lag. This is usually upon entering the city of Ironforge (where the Auction House is for the Alliance). I really have no major troubles beyond that--occasionally it'll take 15 more seconds than usual to mine for ore or sell an item to a vendor, but that's it. Then again, I chose Feathermoon originally because of its Low population (which is now Medium during peak hours).

I'm sorry you can't find the game! If Blizzard is holding it back, I'm sure it's because of server population, not to encourage demand--more sales now mean more monthly fees next month and so on.

To be fair, every time the servers have had problems to the point where one can't play, Blizzard has extended the free trial month by a day. They extended my trial period even though my server never had a problem!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
*Blink Blink* Last time I was in Best Buy it certainly seemed like they had plenty of copies. And a friend of mine who plays the game has had no serious lag issues.

It might be that the chain stores purchased enough copies that Blizzard has none on hand themselves.

The Auld Grump, or maybe Maine isn't selling them as fast as other places...

KenM

Banned
Banned
I'm on Cape Cod. I checked the sites of Best Buy, EB, and Comp USA, none of those stores within 75 miles of me have a single copy. *SIGH*

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

There are at least 20 servers (of a total of, what, 80?) that are having _severe_ problems. If you look at the stickied posts at the top of the official WoW General forums there is some discussion of these problems. Then the non-stickied posts made by regular people are brimming over with discussion of the problems.

There's definitely something kerflooey with those 20 servers. They're up and down a lot, experience horrible lag, and have other problems. Anyone who started on those servers, I feel for ya.

I was the first in my guild to get the game (drove up to LA for the midnight release, ugh) so it was up to me to choose our server. Fortunately, I chose the Garona server and despite a few problems in the first month of release, it hasn't been too bad. There was extremely noticeable lag last night, however it didn't prevent us from clearing all of the pre-key area of Blackrock Spire. And Omokk dropped his gem, so just one more gem from Wyrmthalak and I'll be keyed, woo.

They've stated that the reason they're not sending out more copies of the game is because they can't guarantee a fun environment right now with the load. Or something to that effect. I don't believe they're trying to create more demand.

For anyone who has actually managed to find a copy of the game somewhere I'd strongly suggest looking over the General forum to see which servers should be avoided. And don't get too attached to whichever server you choose, of course. If I had somehow chosen one of the Broken 20, my guild would have certainly moved off of it almost immediately.

Lastly, um, don't look too closely at the World of Warcraft official forums. They're really kind of a cesspool and finding the good posts among the vast majority of dreck is a challenge (and can be depressing, to boot).

Take care,
Dreeble

Dark Jezter

First Post
KenM said:
Well, considering that WoW sold more copies on its day of release than any other PC game in history, sold over 600,000 copies during the holiday season, and broke the record for the most users online at a single time, it's understandable that they did not anticipate such a high demand.

As for lag, it hasn't affected me too bad. There are occasional server downtimes, but most of the time the game runs just fine for me.

Remove ads