• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Warcraft Setting

dnddays

First Post
I recently got hold of the d20 Warcraft/World of Warcraft books and was thinking about running a campaign or two there, but only using the books as a setting. I'm just wondering if anyone here has run a campaign in that setting. If so, how did it go? What are your opinions on the setting overall? Personally, I like the setting. Then again, maybe that's because it is so familiar to me; I have been playing WoW for the past 3 years.

I'm particularly worried about the Forgotten Realms Effect, where players all know the lay of the land, the lore and the personalities at least as well as I do, if not more.

Anyway, share your thoughts.

Testament

First Post
As a fellow WoWer, I'm also tempted to run a campaign there at some point. One of its biggest strengths is that is can handle a political campaign (inter or intra-faction politics) just as easily as it can do a big dumb WAHOOOOOO sort of thing (Goblins. Enough said).

Treebore

First Post
I played in a 3E WoW game that went to Epic levels (48th) where we even used the classes. Our DM realized that we knew all the big names and big events, but that were plenty of smaller names and events to throw at us that no one has ever heard of.

Plus the DM was very clear that it was "our" WoW, not Blizzards, so if we did something that altered the history from canon, so be it.

darjr

I crit!
Just was in a wrappup of a cycle that ended at 6th level. It was fun, and everyone, but me, played and knew a lot about WoW.

avin

First Post
Dude, as a veteran of Wow All I can say is I'd never run an Azeroth game... it's too clichè and unispiring for me... =/

Treebore

First Post
Dude, as a veteran of Wow All I can say is I'd never run an Azeroth game... it's too clichè and unispiring for me... =/

You know I was worried about that too. We had fun all the way up to 48th level. More fun than I have playing on line, by a lot.

Psion

Adventurer
I find the mechanics more inspirational than the setting. There are some unique aspects of the Warcraft world, but in many ways, it's bog-standard D&D fantasy.

But D&Dizing great rules like the AE racial level rules... that's awesome AFAIAC (the Tauren are now my default Minotaur PC race). Also lots of other great stuff in the WoW d20 books.

I play WOW but I don't know if I could run a PnP campaign in that place.

Its a tiny little world. An average citizen takes up a LOT of space in an area.

What is this? !!! A campaign world for ANTS!!! In order to be useful the world would have to be at least 10 times the size. :lol:

Remove ads