D&D General Worldbuilding and the (Technology) Progress Levels of Alternity & D20 Future

Alternity originally introduced the system of Progress Levels measuring how technologically advanced a world was. I seem to remember it also showing up in one of the final 2e books, as well as reappearing in D20 Modern's D20 Future book. If I recall what they were.
PL0: Stone Age
PL1: Iron Age
PL2: Medieval Age
, which a lot of D&D is partially on.
PL3: Age of Reason / Renaissance, which some D&D worlds is also partially on. Also likely covers the "Enlightenment" and age of colonialism, and might have ended around or before the time of Napolean in Europe (early 1800s).
PL4: Industrial Age, probably the limit one could have D&D without completely overhauling the system. Covers the Steampunk, Western and Gothic Victorian Horror genres (Masque of the Red Death). Started in the late 1700s and I'd say ended before World War I, some anthropologist claim it hasn't ended yet, but that applies to developing countries.
PL5: Information/Nuclear Age: Refers to our modern world, though the concept of Progress Levels was first defined in the 1990s, I place 1900 as the start but some might argue it's World War II or 1950 that when it actually starts. And I'd say that some parts of our modern world might touch PL6.
PL6: Fusion Age: generally the progress level for the cyberpunk and post-apocalypse genres, the Expanse is an example PL6 in space. Some modern settings could touch on this progress level, especially if it was a superhero, spy-fi or conspiracy genres.
PL7: Gravity Age: a lot of things in the space opera genre, interstellar travel would be the main thing here. I'd put Star Wars in that level.
PL8: Energy Age: a more fantastical and advanced sci-fi settings. Star Trek might go in this progress level.

Anyways I'm only interested in Progress Levels 0 to 4 when it's on the subject of D&D. I'd say D&D is probably by default progress level 2.5 as there's plenty of Renaissance tech many take for granted in D&D like Plate Armor. In a planehopping campaign I'd say most worlds fall along the 2.5 Progress Level, with a rare few worlds reaching the PL4 Industrial age. Many worlds will fully reach PL3 in about a century, some D&D worlds are already there in certain places (Savage Coast of Mystara and certain domains in Ravenloft).

Any worlds beyond that progress level is probably hidden or in dead worlds, and things taken from such worlds to less advanced ones might be hit with a reality filter making them inoperable or unreliable. Though I'd toy with the idea of a PL5 world like our own, but a zombie apocalypse like the one in Walking Dead happened as a place travelers could visit.

Danzauker

Adventurer
I really loved the Alternity system at the time. True, expecially on hindsight, it had many mechanical shortcomings, and IMHO it would have much benefited and deserved a second edition.

That said I carried over the PL ratings to my D&D games as a world building balancing factor. I like a reasonable amount of verosimility in my game, and I like mish-mash settings, so if I put a stone age area close or reachable by a medieval area, i have to provide an explanation why 1) the latter hasn't conquered and sacked the former and 2) the latter didn't learn and copy the former technologies and close the gap.

Usually this requires using magic as a balancing factor. PL5 firearm using nations are abandoned by gods and have no clerics, PL1 have vast amount of Wakanda's vibramium like stuff that makes crafting magical weapons commonplace, stupid stuff like that.

Our world of course had more advanced nations conquered less advanced ones, and the conquered only becoming independent after the conquered became more advanced. Magic is another factor, and I believe that book at the end of 2e did have levels for magic as well. It generally a thing that higher tech nations do have lower magic levels.

Eberron would be an example of how there could be just PL2 or PL3 tech, but widespread magic levels make it roughly PL4 in how magic is applied.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Our world of course had more advanced nations conquered less advanced ones, and the conquered only becoming independent after the conquered became more advanced. Magic is another factor, and I believe that book at the end of 2e did have levels for magic as well. It generally a thing that higher tech nations do have lower magic levels.

Eberron would be an example of how there could be just PL2 or PL3 tech, but widespread magic levels make it roughly PL4 in how magic is applied.

I don't remember that 2E book. the only one that comes to mind is 3E Ravenloft by Sword & Rorcery that put a similar rating to every domain, but values of course don't match with Alternity's, because there you only ranged from no tech to Victorian.

NotAYakk

Legend
GURPS had a more detailed tech levels. In GURPS classic (from Technology Levels (Classic) ) it was:

TL Era Start-end date Signature technologies
0 Stone Age up to 4000 BC fire, lever, language
1 Bronze Age (Athens)
4000 BC-1200 BC
wheel, writing, agriculture
2 Iron Age 1200 BCE-500 CE) Geometry; scrolls.
3 Medieval 500-1450 steel weapons, mathematics with zero
4 Renaissance/Colonial 1450-1700 gunpowder, printing
5 Industrial Revolution 1701-1900 mass production, steam power, telegraph
6 World War I/World War II 1901-1950 cars, airplanes, radio
7 Modern 1951-2000 nuclear energy, computer, laser, rockets
8 Spacefaring 2001-2050? slower than-light space travel, fusion power, implants
9 Starfaring 2050?+ faster-than-light star travel, sentient computers, longevity, deteronic frombotzer
10 Antimatter -- antimatter power, artificial gravity, slow FTL radio
11 Force -- force screens, tractor beams, fast FTL radio
12 Gravitic -- contragravity, grav compensators, personal force screens
13 Worldbuilding -- full terraforming of planets
14 Dysonian -- construction of worlds, ringworlds and so on
15 MT -- matter transmission, cosmic power
16+As you wish . . .

In GURPS 4e from Tech Level we have:

TL Era Rough start date Signature technologies
0 Stone Age Prehistory and later Counting; oral tradition.
1 Bronze Age 3500 BCE+ Arithmetic; writing.
2 Iron Age 1200 BCE+ Geometry; scrolls.
3 Medieval 600 CE+ Algebra; books.
4 Age of Sail 1450+ Calculus; movable type.
5 Industrial Revolution 1730+ Mechanical calculators; telegraph.
6 Mechanized Age 1880+ Electrical calculators; telephone and radio;
7 Nuclear Age 1940+ Mainframe computers; television.
8 Digital Age 1980+ Personal computers; global networks.
9 Microtech Age 2025+ Artificial intelligence; real-time virtuality.
10 Robotic Age 2070+ Nanotechnology or other advances start to blur distinctions between technologies...
11 Age of Exotic Matter
12 Whatever the GM likes!

the classic has more detail in the future.

I like the names of 4e better, as they aren't tied to on-Earth events. Also, splitting nuclear from information ages.

The classic one presumed a lot of SF tropes. For example, in "reality" building a dyson sphere (or swarm) is easier than FTL travel. One is an engineering problem, the other one requires new physics.

The 2 GURPS list of tech levels of course shows the problems when trying to quantify future tech, as the first one might have been from the 1980s. As for when 2e might have referred to Tech Progress Levels, my memory is hazy as I thought it was in one of the Player's Options books like Spells & Magic. But it could have been in the Revised 2e DMG that was printed in 1995, which I never got because I had the 1989 version.

But Progress Levels 0 to 4 are adequate for what they represent, though in D&D possibly the Medieval to Age of Reason levels might need to be split a bit more.

I realize that PL5 has massive differences in many areas, while technically a Tommy Gun and a H&K UMP 45 might have similar stats, something like the Red Baron's fighter plane has nothing on a modern advanced jet fighter even though they're both PL5.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You should check out the Star Shaman's Guide to Planegea, it's a great setting for those who want to do stone age D&D.

GURPS had a more detailed tech levels. In GURPS classic (from Technology Levels (Classic) ) it was:

TLEraStart-end dateSignature technologies
0Stone Ageup to 4000 BCfire, lever, language
1Bronze Age(Athens)
4000 BC-1200 BC
wheel, writing, agriculture
2Iron Age1200 BCE-500 CE)Geometry; scrolls.
3Medieval500-1450steel weapons, mathematics with zero
4Renaissance/Colonial1450-1700gunpowder, printing
5Industrial Revolution1701-1900mass production, steam power, telegraph
6World War I/World War II1901-1950cars, airplanes, radio
7Modern1951-2000nuclear energy, computer, laser, rockets
8Spacefaring2001-2050?slower than-light space travel, fusion power, implants
9Starfaring2050?+faster-than-light star travel, sentient computers, longevity, deteronic frombotzer
10Antimatter--antimatter power, artificial gravity, slow FTL radio
11Force--force screens, tractor beams, fast FTL radio
12Gravitic--contragravity, grav compensators, personal force screens
13Worldbuilding--full terraforming of planets
14Dysonian--construction of worlds, ringworlds and so on
15MT--matter transmission, cosmic power
16+As you wish . . .

In GURPS 4e from Tech Level we have:

TLEraRough start dateSignature technologies
0Stone AgePrehistory and laterCounting; oral tradition.
1Bronze Age3500 BCE+Arithmetic; writing.
2Iron Age1200 BCE+Geometry; scrolls.
3Medieval600 CE+Algebra; books.
4Age of Sail1450+Calculus; movable type.
5Industrial Revolution1730+Mechanical calculators; telegraph.
6Mechanized Age1880+Electrical calculators; telephone and radio;
7Nuclear Age1940+Mainframe computers; television.
8Digital Age1980+Personal computers; global networks.
9Microtech Age2025+Artificial intelligence; real-time virtuality.
10Robotic Age2070+Nanotechnology or other advances start to blur distinctions between technologies...
11Age of Exotic Matter
12Whatever the GM likes!

the classic has more detail in the future.

I like the names of 4e better, as they aren't tied to on-Earth events. Also, splitting nuclear from information ages.

The classic one presumed a lot of SF tropes. For example, in "reality" building a dyson sphere (or swarm) is easier than FTL travel. One is an engineering problem, the other one requires new physics.
This is very much ripped off from based on the tech levels from Traveller.

Remove ads