• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Best Game Room: Take 3!

The World's Best Gaming Room contest (inasmuch as there are two contestants) just heated up with a third contender for the crown! This new entry is a 13th-century medieval approach (without the dirt or smells) with power outlets that even look medieval! This even has melted wax decoration on the lights, a leather-covered ice box, and curtains with stains and sword holes!

The World's Best Gaming Room contest (inasmuch as there are two contestants) just heated up with a third contender for the crown! This new entry is a 13th-century medieval approach (without the dirt or smells) with power outlets that even look medieval! This even has melted wax decoration on the lights, a leather-covered ice box, and curtains with stains and sword holes!

So, the previous contenders are The Game Tavern and The Burntwire Brothers. Below is a photo of the new challenger.

Click through on the photos below for more pictures and details!

7874108346_acc8b13a7f_c.jpg
Photos by Jef Bond

7874105792_4d60a3147e_c.jpg

7874097792_8146849208_z.jpg

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Nicely done, but I see more potential than anything else...in the others there were clear fantasy & gaming accents, decorations, and displays. This one looks unfinished - rustic, well done, but aside from the few touches on the table it just looks like 'ye olde room.'

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Still say there needs to be an ENnie for these. :)

Agreed! It'd be a small field initially, but it'd be a fun category and would likely encourage others out there to jump on board what could be a gaming DIY home design movement. My wife and I just went through a phase of seriously thinking about moving to a bigger house, and one of my qualifiers (and her genuine appreciation for me) was to have a space I could dedicate to my hobbies. As it is, we nixed the idea and so that space is still my garage, which I'd like to decorate more but don't want to go nuts with because one day we will move and I wouldn't want to alter it that much. My point is that I'm already seriously thinking about how I could do something like that.

Others will follow!

Morrus: make it so!

Celebrim

Legend
Very high points for atmospherics. The design is elegant and feels more like a real room than some of the clear fantasy pastiche we've seen.

However, since I'm seeing no shelving or storage, it suffers somewhat from the standpoint of convenience with one exception; the table is easily large enough to accommodate 8, whereas many tables I've seen lately can accommodate only 6 and could not easily squeeze in more. I realize that many groups are small these days, but seating for 8 is in my opinion the minimum required.

And these days, power outlets in the table as you'd see in a modern conference table seem like a good idea.

Janx

Hero
it looks like a very nice authentic room, but it lacks variety/evocative architectural features that the others had.

Compare the to the other game rooms, that had special doors/secret doors, book shelves, etc. This is just a room with wood floor, walls, ceiling. The coolest attribute in the room is the table. The other rooms, I could stare at and envision some of those elements in whatever place the GM was describing. This room, only matches when we're at the inn...

the floor should have had a stone look (or at least something different from "more wood"), and the ceiling had support beams across. This would ensure than the floors vs walls vs ceiling all had "different" materials, which is a rule of thumb I learned in Minecraft on making better looking buildings.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Click on one of the pictures above and take a look at some of the additional pictures, and you will see there is more to this room. I agree the other two have more of a "wow" factor, but this one is no slouch!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads