• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon: And the verdict is?

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Voadam said:
How long is it?

Isn’t that a bit of a personal question? Oh! You mean how long is the book. 800+ pages apparently.

What is the story of WLD (Who came up with the idea for this mule-choker of a module and why) and what is the story in WLD (What are the hooks to get the player characters involved and what is the plot to keep them motivated)?

thundershot

Adventurer
*mutters about amazon not shipping it yet*

Anywho, if it uses all monsters from the SRD, does that mean the Psionic and Epic ones are used too? I mean, you'd almost have to, since it's made for Epic adventuring...

Thanks
Chris

DMRob

First Post
I picked this up at the Gencon, and have been reading overit in preperation for when I run. Up front, they make some recomendations that some might not like. No Druids, due to the fact that it is a dungeon crawl, and that the PCs will not be leaving for quite some time. Also, they recomend that the GM halve all XP gained, to slow advancement. if the GM does not, the PCs in a standard 4 player party will be somewhere above 7th to 8th level by the time they are done with the first section (of 18) the Dungeon is made with the idea of the PCs leveling twice per Section, for balence. If there are any other questions, i'll be more then happy to answer them. I'm also planning on posting how my game set in the WLD goes when it does begin.

DMRob

Jim Hague

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
What is the story of WLD (Who came up with the idea for this mule-choker of a module and why) and what is the story in WLD (What are the hooks to get the player characters involved and what is the plot to keep them motivated)?

Originally, jim pinto and John Zinser, the head of AEG, conceived of the World's Largest Dungeon, and a great deal of the backstory.

**SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER**

Ok, still here? Excellent.

The WLD was once a prison, long, long, long ago...far enough in the past that even the most wise of sages and well-travelled of bards don't know of its existence. Celestial creatures guarded the prison, which, in time, was orgotten by even the gods that called for its construction. Within its walls and chambers, the worst of the worst were kept - vile demons, wily devils, horrific undead.

Then there was a cataclysm. A massive series of earthquakes and volcanic activity that ripped the Dungeon asunder, isolating its regions, freeing many of the denizens from their cells, but not the dungeon itself. Over time, other creatures from above and below have wandered into the Dungeon and become trapped...or established strongholds to try and keep the evil within contained.

**END SPOILER**

As for keeping players interested, there's (AFAIK) at least two running plots in most sections, the important NPCs are detailed...there's simply a lot of stuff to do. Sometimes, players will find something in one region that could help out with another. Alliances and lifelong enemies can be made. There's just a lot of story in between the good ol' dungeon crawling.

But no metaplot. ;)

Remove ads