• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I'd be interested in seeing exactly how other people are handling the XP situation as well. I know at least one poster here has just picked 2 rooms within the region that act as "leveling chambers", but are the rest doing.

So far, I'm dishing out XP as per the standard fashion, but my players haven't killed a creautre within the confines of the dungeon itself yet, so things are likely to change. If the characters get a little tougher (no more than 1 level higher than the goal of the region) it won't phase me, but if they achieve said point in a stupidly ridiculous amount of time, I'll be forced to find an alternate method.

spacecrime.com

First Post
Sulaya said:
My question is, how exactly are people who are running this dealing with experience?

I've been handing out xp based on the listed encounter levels, occasionally nudging the EL up or down a notch if I thought there was a mismatch between the encounter and the party's specific abilities.

Seems to be working fine so far, and the players are just about where they're supposed to be on the power curve. (It doesn't hurt that the group size varies between 4 and 8, so they sometimes go a little hungry when the xp gets split up.)

cheers,

Soul

First Post
I've been using half-standard xp, and throwing in bonus rewards. I'm not quite happy with this, as it seems like the leveling is a little slow, but its not 'too' bad. Its been about 3-4 sessions a level. I might just add more bonus rewards.

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I'm pretty confident it would be impossible to finish without a traditional cleric. Maybe "impossible" isn't the word, but it sure as hell would be a pain to attempt it and would take a lot longer than the 2 years quoted in this thread.

Demon Gnome

First Post
Originally Posted by Sulaya
My question is, how exactly are people who are running this dealing with experience?

I've been handing out xp based on the listed encounter levels, occasionally nudging the EL up or down a notch if I thought there was a mismatch between the encounter and the party's specific abilities.

Seems to be working fine so far, and the players are just about where they're supposed to be on the power curve. (It doesn't hurt that the group size varies between 4 and 8, so they sometimes go a little hungry when the xp gets split up.)
I've been doing the exact same thing and it's been working good so far.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
My question is, how exactly are people who are running this dealing with experience? Are you just picking certain points and telling PCs to level up? If so, how do you deal with PCs using spells that burn experience, which would then leave them a bit lower level than their comrades? Or, are you using the suggestion to stop awarding XP after a certain number of the same monster are killed? Something else?

I'm running a group of 5 through the WLD and I'm also using the CR=EL system. It appears to be just about right for Region A so far. The group has cleared about 25-30% of the region and have just leveled. So, if everything stays steady, they group will have made level 3 at around 90%. Hopefully this will happen before they get to Longtail.

For wandering encounters I'll probably 50% XP.

Another guy I know who is running it is doing it a little differently. He keeps loose track of XP and just levels the group when he feels it's appropriate. So far it seems to be working.

Once PC's start to bite it, we may have to change our way of thinking. The group's rogue has nearly bit it about 4 times now. Twice from not thinking before acting and twice from the dice hating him (they hate him sooo much).

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I love to roleplay. My friends and family, and the thousands of rpg books on my shelves can testify to that. Telling stories, joking with my friends, sweeping quests, great villians and greater heroes, I love it all. However I just don't understand the allure to watching (or listening) to others roleplay. I mean absolutly no disprespect to those posters on this thread who are making efforts to present this material to others... if you have an audience (or even if you don't) then thats great, I hope you have fun. However perhaps someone here who does find this appealing can explain to me the allure of watching X number of gamers roll dice... or listen to a group discuss how they are going to exlore the WLD?

Not been watching TV much recently have ya? ;)

Our group is thinking about doing it for a larf. And it will allow a couple of our previous members who have moved away to see us again. If other people want to watch us, well that's cool too.

I read every WLD blog I've found and have listened to the RPGMP3 group's first audio session (while cleaning up my computer area and painting figures). I'm trying to learn from other groups mistakes, successes, and general role-playing style.

I've played D&D for 2 decades, and I'm not about to say I know everything there is to know about D&D and its players.

jim pinto

First Post
kvehmane said:
Is there any errata for WLD yet? In this thread a couple of mistakes has been pointed out, but is there anything compiled? Not at the WLD fan site...
And for soundtrack (classical) I would like to recommend any Mahler symphony, R.Strauss (or Scriabin!) tone poems, or even some Sibelius...
For industrial etc. some Einstürzende Neubauten or Bauhaus!

holy... i can't believe i forgot Einstrurzende Neubauten

i have a tat of their cave painting on my leg

as for errata... arholly was compiling it on his site, last i heard

so far, there's been very little.... except for some errors on the maps
(A and E)

jim pinto

First Post
Xp

there is no hard and fast rule about XP in this dungeon, but my favorite method is the CR = EL method, followed by the free leveling up method at equidistant points through the region (with another level up after defeating a "boss"..... longtail in Region A).

as for the XP for spells, and items, just give the wizard a pool of points equal to 40 times his level, using the artificer rules from Eberron as a guide for how to spend or not spend your points.

at 1st level he has 0, but when he levels to second he gets 80 points and so on.

i never liked the XP cost system for potions anyway.

but i like the alternate systems everyone has posted on here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads