• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
This was odd at the game last night. And I can't really put it into the blog because the players read it. So you guys are stuck with it. :)

The players have effectively "defeated" region A. But they didn't clear it. Which was fine because due to some metagaming by a player, I made the portal bigger and made it sound like the thing was about to burst open. So the players hightailed it outta there. So now region A has been mostly whiped out. There may be a few rooms left, but only if I like them (like the 22 stirges room).

So the group heads to region B after a vote. I told them that I had not read much into region B or E, just the intro really. I told them that region B had a lot of goblins and the region E was kind of "different". They put it up to a vote and it was 3 to 2 in favor of B.

But the only entry they had found into region B was northern-most one. And if you look at the map, that area is mostly cut off from the rest of the region. I thought it was funny, but the group got quickly bored and irritated with the region (and avoided the fight with the dire wolves). "Hey where are the goblins?" they asked.

So they went back and moved to region E. The first room they enter is the 3 shadows room that is right next door to the fireball hallway.

Now here's where it gets half funny, because the PC's don't know what they're messing with. They check out the fireball hallway, but figure that most of the party won't be able to make it through there, so they head to the room with the all-door. Well they find it odd to see an unhinged door that seems really well made. They make note of that and move on. They then find the secret door that leads to the hallway that connects to room E20, which has a ward staff. After much investigation (and about 80 points of damage spread out over 5 minutes to one character), they determine that this staff has a big purpose, but they don't know what.

So now they have found a ward staff and then begin discussing going back to get the all-door (or whatever it's called) and puting it on the ground of the fireball room so the party can just walk over the trap's trigger. Now to me that's just going to get funnier when the group realizes what they have done.

Of course, since I haven't thoroughly read region E, I could be wrong about what they're doing and then it won't be funny.

So just sit back and relax, and read some Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey.

thundershot

Adventurer
I honestly don't know how I missed the whole "WLD player maps" part of this... I could definitely use this...

cld at thundershot dot net

Thanks
Chris

CrimsonScribe

First Post
Well, emailing was only meant to be temporary until the maps could get a more permanent home somewhere. When this finally happens, you won't be the only person that is celebrating.

JamesL85

First Post
I e-mailed Jim about hosting them on my site, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.....I'll get them up as soon as I get his permission.....

Sorry guys....

James

jim pinto

First Post
posting the maps

guys

if you intend to post the maps on your websites, its a good idea to get permission from me

e-mail me so i can give you the legal text that needs to go on your site

thanks

CrimsonScribe

First Post
My players finally managed clear out Region A in last nights session. It took them an extra hour of play time but we did it.

Last nights session started in A91 and contained a Bar'luga (which they managed to idspose of last week), then they were surprised by a pair of advanced Manes from A92. Moving on they entered A100 in which I had planted a Jovoc which turned out to be quite interesting when the thief used their Bane (Evil Outsider) shortsword to inflict sneak attack damage.

Next up on the roster, I replaced the lizardfolk with 2 drow (a fighter & a warmage) - the parties first real encounter with another serious spellcaster (equipped with a rod of metamagic - lesser maximise) proved very interesting as maximised scorching rays with a warmage's edge do 28 points of damage with no save. When the warmage finally got cornered she literally "brought the house down" with a maximized hail of stones on herself and 3 of the party members.

After resting up and learning how to use the rod they had recovered the party thought they were ready to face the BBEG that they had seen in a vision - an Arrow Demon. Moving around the pillars in A103 and the ability to dimension door at will cuased a lot of head aches for the melee warriors in the party (everyone but the wizard) as the room is 115ft long. Eventually the demon got a little cocky and over stayed his position by 1 round and then could no longer make the checks to defensivley dimension door to another position so had to go toe to toe with a cleric, paladin and rogue.

The paladin managed to sunder both of it's bows so in an act of revenge the arrow demon laid in to him with all 4 claw attacks - 1 rolled a natural 20, so I confirmed it with another natural 20, then rolled a 19! The demon's +13 attack modifier meant an instant kill. The warforged fighter took up the paladin's place in combat the next round after he'd finally made it back down the length of the room - he'd been wiaitng for the demon to dimension door again and in 2 more rounds of wailing on the thief and cleric the demon was finally taken down.

I finished the session with on of the archon "bits" reappearing to thank the party for accomplishing what the celestial host was unable to do (due to the many different offensives they are fighting through out the dungeon) and offered the party the choice to bring the paladin back (he's an NPC after all). The party will be moving onto Region E from here in an effort to meat up with the celestial host and learn more about this ancient dungeon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads