• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

JamesL85

First Post
Thanks to Jim Pinto and CrimsonScribe, there is now a place to download Player Maps of Regions A through E.

http://www.james.neetersoft.com/wld/wld.htm

There is also a link at the bottom of the page that takes you to the Fan Site for The World's Largest Dungeon (is that still being updated?). If anyone would like to see other links there, let me know.....

Thanks again to Jim and Crimson :)

James

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Well, we ran a "playtest" the other night of the first few rooms of Region A. (Two of our 5 players were sick, but everyone was still revving to go, so I just scaled down the challenges some.) It was more to mesh our style of play together, as I'm a "rules-lite" kind of DM, and some of my players are more "rules-oriented."

The two things that stood out to the players (in a positive way):
A)the weary Orcs in Room A2: the party immediately attacked, and proceeded to take a hefty beating in return. They also almost killed the Lantern Archon that traveled with them.

B) the trapped door leading to A4. The thief (who was supremely confident about finding traps: he even took the "Nimble Fingers" feat!!) proceeded to detect no traps and opened the door, only to find himself in the middle of a conflagration! Obviously, he wasn't REALLY expecting a trap so early in the Dungeon. More fool him!

I expect them to fare (slightly) better with the two other party members when we reconvene.

CrimsonScribe

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
B) the trapped door leading to A4. The thief (who was supremely confident about finding traps: he even took the "Nimble Fingers" feat!!) proceeded to detect no traps and opened the door, only to find himself in the middle of a conflagration! Obviously, he wasn't REALLY expecting a trap so early in the Dungeon. More fool him!

This passage sounds very familiar, even down to the rogue who took "Nimble Fingers" to help in detecting traps etc. The rogue amongst my players didn't manage to find a trap until A21(?) - the scything blade trap into A72 if I remember correctly. Even then, he thought he'd disabled it when he actually hadn't.

hitomikitage

First Post
I seem to be having a problem with my players playing alignments. They continually play all over the place, deciding that they want to just be however they feel like being at the time. They were doing things that seemed to violate alignments all the time, and then got upset when I was going to shift the alignments of some of them because they were lawful and/or good and they were taking chaotic and/or evil actions. I have noticed there are definite mechanical benefits and/or penalties for being of a particular alignment, and I was wondering how other people enforced alignments in their game. I would hate to have to add additional accounting into the game by forcing an infraction point system, just to keep the players honest, but it looks like it is moving in that direction. Let me know what you guys do, I am looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks,
Howard

Last edited:

twofalls

DM Beadle
Alignments

I thought for a long time about simply abolishing the alignment system. However it is an intristic part of the D&D experience and offers a role playing challenge for the players. What you have to do though is be very clear about waht constitutes a violation of alignment and make sure that your players completly understand how you view each different alignment type, as well as be a bit open minded about it all.

I resolved this by purchasing both the Book of Exaulted Deeds and the Book of Vile Darkness. The rules within are rather straightforward and that way boththe players and myself as a GM have very clear boundaries written.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
hitomikitage said:
I seem to be having a problem with my players playing alignments. They continually play all over the place, deciding that they want to just be however they feel like being at the time. They were doing things that seemed to violate alignments all the time, and then got upset when I was going to shift the alignments of some of them because they were lawful and/or good and they were taking chaotic and/or evil actions. I have noticed there are definite mechanical benefits and/or penalties for being of a particular alignment, and I was wondering how other people enforced alignments in their game. I would hate to have to add additional accounting into the game by forcing an infraction point system, just to keep the players honest, but it looks like it is moving in that direction. Let me know what you guys do, I am looking forward to hearing it.

You haven't seen poor alignment play until you've seen someone playing a paladin pull the fingernails off a kobold to get some information.

As a reward system you can follow Twofall's suggestion.
As a penalty & reward system you can follow the concept of "you'll get yours" (aka karma). If the players are all over the alignment system, they're not going to be friends of the celestials or the prisoners. Suddenly every room's attitude is "Hostile".

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
(semi-bump)

Well the party did it.
They used the "all door" from room E18 as a trap triggering prevention device in room E16 by laying down on the ground where the trap gets triggered.

Now I have to decide whether or not to have the trap continuously blast thus either weakening or destroying the door, or just let the trap never reset itself.

Any opinions?

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I guess the real question should be "How important are you making the All-Door to the region?"

My players ventured into Region E the other night, arriving in the T-Junction with the 3 shadows and then headed west straight through the Halls of Portraits and ended the night in Phinidar's Workshop (where they proptly slew the poor guy).

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
CrimsonScribe said:
I guess the real question should be "How important are you making the All-Door to the region?"

They don't know what it is. They think it's a standard door.

I read them the description from room E18, but they never cast Detect Magic or even examined it after the fireball trap.

At some point they'll find out I guess.
I guess the results of what will happen with the door will depend on how much meta-gaming is done.

Sometimes they do it alot (and think I don't notice) and sometimes they're good (or I'm being fooled and don't know it).

twofalls

DM Beadle
Death of a Thread

This thread is slowing to the point of near death. I fear it will be dead and gone by the time I get back to the WLD campaign with my group. :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads