• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

JamesL85

First Post
Jim Hague said:
I have some 'cut' material (not much, mind) from I I keep meaning to send out for posting, but the fellow who originally asked hasn't dropped me a line.

I'd LOVE to see the "cut" material, and would be more than happy to post it on my site with the additional WLD material I've collected.....

The link to the page is here for those that are new here.

You can e-mail the file(s) to the address linked at the bottom of the page, and I DO appreciate it.....

James

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I just had it pointed out to me tonight by a friend, but Region N is missing the encounter text for rooms N50-N53 (I think).

Has this been brought up before?

Jim Hague

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:
I'll take whatever extra info you're willing to throw at me (figuratively or literally - your choice).

From the little I've read, It's going to be a slimy & nasty place. A place where dried out Jello flops off the wall if disturbed & the floors are coated with a variety of bubbling muck, slime, and that stuff my wife made for dinner yesterday. A constant stream of disgusting creatures lurk in the passages waiting for a convenient meal.

...I think it had lemon & chicken in it...

Partially, but I took more than a few pages from Lovecraft and Howard when writing up I - specifically, the themes of magic corrupts and disease. Unnatural vigor.

Region I is a sick place; it is diseased. From the random bits of flesh that scream or crawl along the walls, to the existence of Madness and Anguish, everything in I is hideously, unnaturally alive. As a Region, it doesn't consciously hate, but malevolence powered by some very nasty sorcery has transformed the Region into what could almost be a living thing; the literal belly of the beast. Aside from the obvious physical dangers involved, there's a very good reason that undead don't venture into I - the positive energy coursing through the place is anathema...and unlike the positive energy PCs are likely to be used to, it's entirely out of control, dangerous at its best and deadly at its worst.

Just as importantly, I is a Region in absolute chaos, in decay even as it constantly regenerates itself. Insanity is the order of the day - a particularly nasty GM could, for example, twist the corridors around a bit, as the Halls of Flesh reshape themselves. Say, during the PCs' flight from some threat or another.

I'll do some digging, and see if I can find a creature I cut myself from the write-up - a sort of anti-undead, a corpse animated purely by the rampant positive energy of the Halls, akin to the 'runner' zombies of the new Dawn of the Dead.

Another suggestion, since I'm thinking on it - when Arioch appears, just have him seem to have two arms. It helps maintain the fun and mystery a bit better. ;)

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Partially, but I took more than a few pages from Lovecraft and Howard when writing up I - specifically, the themes of magic corrupts and disease. Unnatural vigor.

Region I is a sick place; it is diseased. From the random bits of flesh that scream or crawl along the walls, to the existence of Madness and Anguish, everything in I is hideously, unnaturally alive. As a Region, it doesn't consciously hate, but malevolence powered by some very nasty sorcery has transformed the Region into what could almost be a living thing; the literal belly of the beast. Aside from the obvious physical dangers involved, there's a very good reason that undead don't venture into I - the positive energy coursing through the place is anathema...and unlike the positive energy PCs are likely to be used to, it's entirely out of control, dangerous at its best and deadly at its worst.

Just as importantly, I is a Region in absolute chaos, in decay even as it constantly regenerates itself. Insanity is the order of the day - a particularly nasty GM could, for example, twist the corridors around a bit, as the Halls of Flesh reshape themselves. Say, during the PCs' flight from some threat or another.

Ok, so I take the life giving bits from the Positive Plane, the evil auras remaining in the place from the original prisoners, a huge chunk of sorcerous based chaos, and a hefty helping of 1980's gore movies and you got Region I.

Oh yeah, this is gonna be deliciously fun. :]

I've got to do this just right. This group will have no problem with backtracking and exploring region F instead.

primarchone

Explorer
Question regarding level B

Hi!

Look at the map from level B it seems that rooms B109 through B136 are only accessible by exiting to map C and then re-entering Map B, since the gate close to room B37 effectively block direct access. I assume this gate opens as the one down the corridor south from room B 118?

Is this perception correct?

Are there other map areas like this?

Any help appreciated.

Primarchone

jim pinto

First Post
primarchone said:
Hi!

Look at the map from level B it seems that rooms B109 through B136 are only accessible by exiting to map C and then re-entering Map B, since the gate close to room B37 effectively block direct access. I assume this gate opens as the one down the corridor south from room B 118?

Is this perception correct?

Are there other map areas like this?

Any help appreciated.

Primarchone

there are dozens of ways for the DM to allow those gates to open

spells that will move the levers? goblin guards on duty? or passing through?

or just ignore them completely and/or have them slam down BEHIND the PCs as they pass

primarchone

Explorer
jim pinto said:
there are dozens of ways for the DM to allow those gates to open

spells that will move the levers? goblin guards on duty? or passing through?

or just ignore them completely and/or have them slam down BEHIND the PCs as they pass

While I understand I can modify such area, but I was wondering what was the intention of such obstacles originally? Were they originally intended to cutoff such areas and make them hard to access?

Just curious.

Primarchone

hitomikitage

First Post
It is a great way to keep your players from getting in over their heads. If they aren't ready to face the ghoul paladins in the large circular room (especially considering they will probably be ambushed by them) then these gates should stay closed. One of my players had their character killed in that region, and another 2 hit negative numbers. And this was a group that was 4th-5th level and comprised 9 people. On top of that, it is an area patrolled by the rebel goblin faction. These gates are good ways to keep the goblin king's minions out of their territory.

Thanks,
Howard

twofalls

DM Beadle
Jim Hague said:
*cackles*

BBR, let me know if you have any questions. I have some 'cut' material (not much, mind) from I I keep meaning to send out for posting, but the fellow who originally asked hasn't dropped me a line. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing accounts of the first group to reach the Halls of Flesh... :D

As a matter of fact I've emailed you for the material twice. Huh. You haven't recieved either obviously. Please email me at jamesbeadle@sanguinesentinels.com so I can request the material back to the correct email address.

Strange, our first set of communications went through correctly...

Remove ads