• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

P

PaulofCthulhu

I've just been clearing out some stuff and backing up data at home, when I found my copies of the World's Largest Dungeon RPGMP3 recordings. It made me realise that come September they will be five years old!

So I've backed them up properly, along with related files to DVD (2.45 GB) and stuck them in the back of my PHB 3.5 that I used at the time.

Five years, I can amost feel the nostalgia kicking in. :)

Attachments

• wld-1.jpg
    wld-1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75
  • wld-2.jpg
    wld-2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 81
  • wld-3.jpg
    wld-3.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 82

Hussar

Legend
Damn, Paul, I listened to a few of those. I can't believe it was that long ago. Yeesh.

Wanna hear something sick? I'm actually toying with the idea of updating the WLD to 4e and running it again. I gotta get my head examined.

Bathnor

First Post
An update on my players exploits down in the dungeon...

Damn, Paul, I listened to a few of those. I can't believe it was that long ago. Yeesh.

Wanna hear something sick? I'm actually toying with the idea of updating the WLD to 4e and running it again. I gotta get my head examined.

I hear ya on getting your head examined lol. I am running the WLD as a Gesalt campaign. My players and I are enjoying it, but I think I need my head examined as well. :p

So anyways, my players have cleared out Region A. The Orc, Kobold, and Trog bases proved to be very difficult for them. They ran away from them and then went back and wiped them out once they hit 3rd level, this was their "Revenge Session". The Dwarf Ranger/Fighter died the first time they fought the Trogs. Her tattoo raised her several hours later and she was naked with neither the Trogs or her party in sight. They found each other again in the water pillar room.

The other difficult encounter in the Region was definatly the Were Rat himself. He was a Wiz7/Sorc7. This was a very close battle for them. They had joined forces with the lizard folk so there was 5 people in the party. You know the BBEG of the region is putting up a good fight when both the partys healers are bleeding on the floor. :devil:

They never closed the portal in the room with the Were-Rat. So it is still spitting out creatures.

They took off to the north after gaining 4th level. They ran into the shadows and the shadows made short work of the Dwarven Ranger4/Fighter4 and the Human Sorc4/Cleric of Mystra 4. The Human Fighter4/Thief4 and the Monk4/fighter2/cleric of Azuth 2 made it out alive but the Monk was verry slow because he didn't have much STR left.

The slain party member were replaced by a pair of Shield Dwarves. A Fighter 4 / Cleric of the Dwarven Pantheon 4, and a Barb4/Fighter4. They had stumbled into the dungeon looking for gems to mine and had been trapped for awhile.

They decided to change tactics, they weren't expecting undead when they first ventured to the north. So they went better prepared as far as spells go. They made a decent push but were pushed back by the Shadow King and a few of his minions. No body died, but a couple were close to death.

Now they are thinking that they can't handle shadows so the head east into the Gobbo Empire. They start from the north and get stuck in all kinds of traps. They give up in frustration because rations are low and they don't want to keep getting stuck in rooms for a day. (The Barb/Fighter has been named backup thief, shes good at finding traps cause her character isn't to bright and she's greedy.

They are actualy almost finished with this region as well. The Goblin King is dead. The Hobgoblins that are training the gobbos are Paladins of Bane. I thought this added a nice twist to the area. I used the Paladin Varients from Unearthed Arcana. These are Paladins of Tyrany. The Fighter/Thief died fighting the goblins. He was brought back by hit tattoo after being dragged away by the cleric. Now the Monk is the only character who hasn't used up his tattoo.

Bartleby is dead in a most horrible manner. I won't get into details here because I don't want the post to get deleted. Let's just say the Barb/Fighter caught a nasty disease and turned to CE, the Fighter/Cleric also became CE, and the other 2 members in the party shifted closer to CE themselves. They have no idea that he was working for the Gobbo King for the Artifact. It's a Necklace of Adaptation.

The Corrupted Pallys in the region are Corupted Pallys Of Mystra. They were the last of her Pally/Clerics. They party is working to change their alignment back to what it was before. They are also working for the Rebel Goblins. They are to destroy a statue in the Goblin Temple and rescue a Goblin that hasn't returned from patrol yet. They've already rescued the Goblin and should reach the temple next week. After this I bet they will head to region C to get the key to unlock the doors to the north. They will be in a world of hurt if they keep slipping into evil alignments. They know it is a prison for evil of all kinds .. so it's not like they havn't been warned lol.

Their current levels are: Human Monk5/Fighter2,Cleric of Azuth3; Human Fighter5/Thief5; Shield Dwarf Fighter5/Cleric of the Dwarven Pantheon 5; Shield Dwarf Barbarian5/Fighter5.

So like I mentioned earlier the portal is still spitting out creatures. I had the doors leading up to region E spiked shut from the region A side. This was so the shadows wouldn't come down and kill everything. When the party fled from the shadows they never closed or spiked the doors closed.

Wouldn't the working portal be a nice way for the shadows to make more shells? Would the shells made from say a fiendish stirge be a regular shadow or something else? These are just a few questions I've been mulling over.I bet the Shadow King would love to expand his influence even more. Has anyone done this in their campaigns? Have any advice for it?

Last edited:

Bathnor

First Post
Bags O' Holding

I did take some advice from here about the group loot situation. Each player had a Small Bag O' Holding. They can carry up to 250 lbs. So far it's made keeping track of who has what a lot easier. If it's not on your sheet or in your bag .. your out of luck.

I had them hidden in the Goblin Kings private room.

Hussar

Legend
Bathnor said:
The Dwarf Ranger/Fighter died the first time they fought the Trogs. Her tattoo raised her several hours later and she was naked with neither the Trogs or her party in sight. They found each other again in the water pillar room.

Tattoo? What is this tattoo you speak of. I'm intrigued. I think I did something similar in having the Dungeon itself use the corpses to spit out trapped spirits.

Bathnor

First Post
tattoos

I had the original party mamber receive magical tattoos from the elders of 10 Towns. The tattoos work like a one time rez. The player doesn't lose a level but they do lose a point of CON. This was because the elders called them the chosen ones as they left to follow the were-rat into the dungeon.

rvalle

First Post
Shadows: My group ended up with a huge on going fight against the Shadows. Fighting them at the level they were at was TOUGH. After several hit and run raids the shadows scouted around and found where they were camping (a room in region A). During the night the were attacked by waves of shadows that could now spring from walls and floors. After fighting off several waves the group ran into Region E where they felt safer as it seemed to them that the Shadows couldn't go into walls here.

Unfortunately for them the Shadows now realized there were many creatures in A and went and made Shadows of them all. Including a large Ogre shadow.

In the end it resulted in a large fight with the party and one of the Garrison members (can't remember which one... his love had been turned into a Shadow... Doj?) went toe to toe with the Shadow King and all his remaining minions.

Back from the dead: Instead of dropping a level or con point we implemented an idea from on-line games and have a 'rez-sickness'. -2 to most dice rolls for a few days.

We're about 3 games from finishing... World Eater is dead. Next up the Red Dragon whom I'm prepping now (mixing up feats and probably some spells). Then punching out though the Giants.

Wohoo!

rv

kitsunealyc

First Post
We are not alone!

Wow. I was beginning to think my group was the only one that had played through this monster.

After 3 years and over 75 sessions, we finally downed the WE. We're hitting Region O, and then our GM has a special finale planned because he felt the finale-as-written fell a little flat (??). Since we've been very good about not accessing spoilers, I'm not quite sure what that means.

So, two more sessions and we're free (?!). I'll be interested to go back and read this thread for similarities and differences, but mostly I'm thrilled to find out that we're not alone.

Cheers and grats!

Remove ads